World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

As a defender you are taught not to jump up with your arms out, that’s the risk you take if you do. It was not intentional but his arm/hand moved towards the ball. Harsh and not deliberate but definitely a penalty. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What part are you disagreeing with there?

Basically everything :D  

VAR hasn’t given the review to the referee correctly and it’s nowhere near being a deliberate handball. It’s an awful piece of refereeing all round. 

yeah you've got to give that IMO

its not 100% that its intentional but theres definite movement downwards and contact

there is no factually right answer to it though, its still an opinion which will forever be questioned 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Well they speak to him. So they probably said “that hit a hand did you see that?” And if he replies “yes but I don’t think it was a penalty” then they probably don’t refer it. 

I assume he said “I didn’t see it” so they get him to review it. 

Fair enough.

I'd like to see some written guidance on VAR, FIFA doesn't seem to have published anything.

I don't agree with your take on it being a penalty, not at all, but it's nice to be able to discuss it with someone that actually explains their rationale. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

As a defender you are taught not to jump up with your arms out, that’s the risk you take if you do. It was not intentional but his arm/hand moved towards the ball. Harsh and not deliberate but definitely a penalty. 

More people who dont understand the handball rule. No wonder these crazy decisions are being made. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Basically everything :D  

VAR hasn’t given the review to the referee correctly and it’s nowhere near being a deliberate handball. It’s an awful piece of refereeing all round. 

There is literally no way you can argue that shouldn’t be reviewed. The referee clearly has not seen it. It’s a textbook VAR referral. 

Fair enough if you disagree with the ultimate decision the ref has made. I disagree but fair enough. 

But that is EXACTLY why VAR is there. To show a ref an incident he has obviously missed. 

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

More people who dont understand the handball rule. No wonder these crazy decisions are being made. 

Piss off. No need to be insulting. Plank.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The problem is your idyllic view of the handball rule is NOT how the rule is applied by referees. It should be, but it isn’t. 

Your way can’t be unless you can mind read. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There is literally no way you can argue that shouldn’t be reviewed. The referee clearly has not seen it. It’s a textbook VAR referral. 

Fair enough if you disagree with the ultimate decision the ref has made. I disagree but fair enough. 

But that is EXACTLY why VAR is there. To show a ref an incident he hasn’t obviously missed. 

VAR looks at it goes “not deliberate”. Review over, doesn’t need to go the referee. It’s so, so basic. He missed the ball hitting a Croatian player, he didn’t miss any incident at all. 

Ultimately, that decision may have decided where the World Cup goes. Bonkers!

Just now, PieFacE said:

The only deliberate hand ball I think I've ever seen is the Suarez one. If they just use the "deliberate" guideline, then pretty much no penalties should be given for hand ball. 

There definitely needs to be more clear rules.

I mean, people talk about arms out in the air, and natural/vs natural positions, but the laws of the game say: the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

The laws clearly also tell the ref to consider the distance of the player from the ball, as it being unexpected is a defence.

We're basically at the point where it's a massive grey area, and it comes down to whatever refs agree among themselves being implemented.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

The only deliberate hand ball I think I've ever seen is the Suarez one. If they just use the "deliberate" guideline, then pretty much no penalties should be given for hand ball. 

I think the "in an unnatural position" to be a good guideline. Like if your arm is above your head where it shouldn't be, if the ball hits that, it should be a penalty.

But Perisic' arns were in a completely natural position, the only thing he could do was keep his hands in his pocket or behind his back or something. Very harsh penalty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The problem is your idyllic view of the handball rule is NOT how the rule is applied by referees. It should be, but it isn’t. 

Your way can’t be unless you can mind read. 

There is no way you can judge that handball as being deliberate - UNLESS either Perisic knows Umtiti is missing his header OR Perisic has superhuman reactions.

So yes, potentially mind reading in either case. Even people who think that’s a penalty are saying it’s “not deliberate”. Nothing idyllic, just a lack of knowledge. 

Â