World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

5 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It clearly and obviously hit him in an outstretched hand. It took that many rewatches to decide whether it was reasonable for him to have his arm flailing about like that.

Harsh but ultimately fair. I'd be filthy if I was French and that wasn't given.

It’s not fair. It’s another poor call. He’s basically judged that Perisic(?) has known that Umtiti is going to miss his header and deliberately handles the ball. Utter madness. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I thought it was specifically meant to be clear and obvious he made an error rather than hadn't seen anything? I've not seen the exact guidelines though.

I don't think it was a penalty either way, that's a really harsh handball, but if I'm just wrong about how VAR is utilised I'm happy to be corrected.

Well the ball hit a defender’s hand and went out of play and he gave a goal kick. 

Thats pretty clear that he hasn’t realised the ball hit a defender, let alone his hand. So he’s missed the incident. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes it is. 

The decision the ref makes doesn’t need to be clear and obvious. 

It has to be clear and obvious that the ref has made a mistake or missed something. In this case it was clear and obvious that the ref hadn’t seen that that had hit a hand. THAT is the clear and obvious bit. 

Correct decision again made by a VAR review. 

Nope. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

It’s not fair. It’s another poor call. He’s basically judged that Perisic(?) has known that Umtiti is going to miss his header and deliberately handles the ball. Utter madness. 

Spot on, pathetic decision can't see how anyone with even a basic understanding of the handball rule can agree with it. As I've said before, VAR is a fine concept, but it's problematic when you put it into the hands of an idiot. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spot on, pathetic decision can't see how anyone with even a basic understanding of the handball rule can agree with it. As I've said before, VAR is a fine concept, but it's problematic when you put it into the hands of an idiot. 

He’s moved his hand towards the ball. If it doesn’t hit his hand there the French players have a tap in. 

It’s a penalty. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He’s moved his hand towards the ball. If it doesn’t hit his hand there the French players have a tap in. 

It’s a penalty. 

No he didn't, it was clearly not a deliberate handball and it has to be deliberate for it to be a penalty. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

No he didn't, it was clearly not a deliberate handball and it has to be deliberate for it to be a penalty. 

It’s a deliberate handball in the way the rules are applied at the moment. 

In reality it probably wasn’t deliberate but we’ve had this debate before. Handballs are very very rarely deliberate. 

If your arm is outstretched and you move it towards the ball then that will go down as deliberate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well the ball hit a defender’s hand and went out of play and he gave a goal kick. 

Thats pretty clear that he hasn’t realised the ball hit a defender, let alone his hand. So he’s missed the incident. 

That actually makes sense as to why VAR would be called, you're right, he clearly didn't actually see it.

But, if the ref doesn't see something clearly, makes a decision, and then sees something in the replay, what standard does the decision have to meet? Is it no longer 'clear and obvious', at that point? 

It's obvious he didn't see it, and that it hit the Croatian defender, I'd be all for a corner. In no way was that a clear penalty though.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It’s a deliberate handball in the way the rules are applied at the moment. 

In reality it probably wasn’t deliberate but we’ve had this debate before. Handballs are very very rarely deliberate. 

If your arm is outstretched and you move it towards the ball then that will go down as deliberate. 

No it is not. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a penalty. 

He has absolutely no time to react and is bringing his arm back down to his side. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

That actually makes sense as to why VAR would be called, you're right, he clearly didn't actually see it.

But, if the ref doesn't see something clearly, makes a decision, and then sees something in the replay, what standard does the decision have to meet? Is it no longer 'clear and obvious', at that point? 

It's obvious he didn't see it, and that it hit the Croatian defender, I'd be all for a corner. In no way was that a clear penalty though.

Well they speak to him. So they probably said “that hit a hand did you see that?” And if he replies “yes but I don’t think it was a penalty” then they probably don’t refer it. 

I assume he said “I didn’t see it” so they get him to review it. 

Â