World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've not seen the incident but to say Pickford is "such a poor goalkeeper" off the back of this World Cup showing then you've got some kind of agenda.

Not based on the World Cup but what I have seen for Everton and Sunderland. He was also quite poor after Croatia scored in semi-final and nearly cost England about a minute later

If he played for Villa he would give me zero confidence

3 hours ago, Xela said:

He was a good player for us, hence why Man City purchased him. He must have something about him

yeah, they needed him to fulfill their homegrown quota, and he was available relatively cheap by Man City standards...

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

You don’t often seen shots placed like Hazard did for that goal which shows Pickford got his positioning wrong. 

Its the brilliance of hazard, if pickford doesnt step to his left then hazard passes the ball in to the other corner, the reality for me is he's scoring from there regardless of what pickford does

and its a finish that i've seen messi do more than once

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its the brilliance of hazard, if pickford doesnt step to his left then hazard passes the ball in to the other corner, the reality for me is he's scoring from there regardless of what pickford does

and its a finish that i've seen messi do more than once

I agree on a 1-on-1 id fully expect Hazard to score regardless, but being able to strike it into the near corner like that to me was bad positioning by Pickford. Usually keeper will cover near post and tell attacker to either go round him or shoot across goal. 

He’s made some proper world class saves this tournament, no denying that.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I've not seen the incident but to say Pickford is "such a poor goalkeeper" off the back of this World Cup showing then you've got some kind of agenda.

Yep, for most of the world cup this was the case. Including calling for Henderson to be sent off when he was headbutted ?

I doubt this England would have got past the group stages if their group would have been more challenging. Sweden was a good performance but lets be honest Sweden are a poor side. Southgate has got these players working hard off the ball and playing like a team, which unique is over the past 20 years but it's really not that good of a team at all and a 4th place finish totally flatters England, there will always be an * next to this tournament to account for such an easy run. That said, Southgate has done a terrific job, although I doubt the Euro's will deliver much. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I doubt this England would have got past the group stages if their group would have been more challenging. Sweden was a good performance but lets be honest Sweden are a poor side. Southgate has got these players working hard off the ball and playing like a team, which unique is over the past 20 years but it's really not that good of a team at all and a 4th place finish totally flatters England, there will always be an * next to this tournament to account for such an easy run. That said, Southgate has done a terrific job, although I doubt the Euro's will deliver much. 

The point is though, we’ve hadn’t plenty of easy ish runs in previous tournaments and we usually **** it up anyway. The last euros for example. 

So yeah I don’t think anyone would argue that 4th place is flattering. Everyone knows we got so far because we had a favourable run. But that is tournament football. 

Regardless of the caveat, this has still been progress. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

The semi final excitement seems a long way off now. P7 W3 L3 D1*. Pretty average stats for an average looking side against the quality teams. Far from convinced it’s the beginning of something great.

Really enjoyed the run whilst it lasted though so kudos to them for that.

(*Im counting the Columbia game as the draw in case anyone was wondering) 

To be fair 2 of the 3 defeats were in nothing games, a dead rubber group game where both teams played reserves and a third place game that no-one cares about. 

That being said, when we were asked questions in the semi we didn't have any answers. 

To get 4th with this squad is good going. When you look at how many very good squads England have taken to tournaments over the years (98, 00, 02, 04 and 06) we never reached the semis with our 'golden generation'. 

I know we had luck on our side this time but like you, I really enjoyed the run and it made me care about our national team again, something I struggled with under Capello and Hodgson

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Both flat track bullies. Went missing the big games here

Lukaku was great in the Brazil game I thought. Without scoring he gave them a constant outlet on the break. Struggled v France but they have the best defensive structure in the tournament.

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe bit Pickford so hesitant to leave his line. Other way around and Courtois out in front of Sterling or Kane To narrow gap

Good keepers anticipate especially if play with a dud defender

Courtois let in a similar one v Japan.

After a poor 18 months Lloris probably been keeper of the tournament but I'd have Pickford up there with Subasic as next best.

Have to remember his overall lack of experience compared to majority of keepers in knock out rounds and also the genuine doubts with people pushing for Butland or Pope to start.

Stood up and saved at big moments in the KO games which is what you want from your keeper.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

To be fair 2 of the 3 defeats were in nothing games, a dead rubber group game where both teams played reserves and a third place game that no-one cares about. 

That being said, when we were asked questions in the semi we didn't have any answers. 

To get 4th with this squad is good going. When you look at how many very good squads England have taken to tournaments over the years (98, 00, 02, 04 and 06) we never reached the semis with our 'golden generation'. 

I know we had luck on our side this time but like you, I really enjoyed the run and it made me care about our national team again, something I struggled with under Capello and Hodgson

Southgate has been very sensible saying we aren't a top 4 team and they all know it.  They capitalised on a good draw and better teams falling in a heap which was the best we could hope for, though the way England played was great to see IMO and genuinely surprising.  They did boss the first half against Croatia but showed their naivety and lack of plan B from then on.  Hopefully we can add a few new players over the next 2-4 years, but even then it's possible a better England team won't get as far as a semi final.  That's the beauty of tournament football.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Lukaku was great in the Brazil game I thought. Without scoring he gave them a constant outlet on the break. Struggled v France but they have the best defensive structure in the tournament.

Twice he was put through on goal yesterday by beautiful defence splitting passes and twice he took the worst imaginable touch that blew the chance for him. There's something not quite right about him and that's his touch in the box and composure in front of goal in the real crunch situations. Part of the reason this Belgium 'golden generation' will not deliver a tournament win is IMO down to their lack of a genuine top class striker. 

I can see Belgium winning the euros tbh.

France will be favourites but think this Belgium team finally showed maturity at key moments and got that big win they were missing v Brazil France was just too tough a nut to crack for them.

Need to find more youth in defence and midfield though as plenty of them are over 30 now.

Â