World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has worked hard but he has been quite anonymous in the knockout stage from play

Agreed, I reckon he was carrying an injury.

England desperately lacking Grealish. Telling yer, he'll rip up the euros, even if it breaks my heart that he'll be at another club. The kid is what we need at international level.

• Like 4

from twitter not sure how true it is

Brutally succinct quote from Šime Vrsaljko "The all-round perception was that this is a new-look England who have changed their ways of punting long balls upfield but when we pressed them it turned out that they haven't. "

https://twitter.com/sgevans?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

he's bang on they havent changed it, henderson didnt even look up or around him half the time he just banged it in to space

what vrsaljko doesnt allude to though is that 1st half lovren and vida couldn't live with it and england should have wrapped the game up with that tactic and it is almost certainly something france will try and exploit with mbappe's pace

the amount of balls that sterling won where he had absolutely no right to get to them must worry croatia

• Like 2

How long are we going to persist with Dele Alli? How long can you keep picking a player on the strength of his club performances when he is consistently having no impact for his country.

1 minute ago, will87 said:

How long are we going to persist with Dele Alli? How long can you keep picking a player on the strength of his club performances when he is consistently having no impact for his country.

fry-futurama-not-sure-if-lying-not-sure-

its england...probably for around 114 caps, 10 years of calling him world class and maybe even a stint as captain 

• Like 1

Southgate pretty much did the best he possibly could with the tools at his disposal, in my opinion.

Still, they blew an incredible opportunity to reach the final. It's going to be a very long time indeed before I regain interest in international football after this, personally.

Edited by jimmythomas

England ratings:

Pickford 9- Grew as it went on. Great saves in all knock out games. Massive plus given the doubts about him before everything kick off. England's keeper for next 10 years.

Walker 7- O.k. Fulfilled the tactical role but we saw his limitations when he actually had to do some actual defending in the box, a John Terry, Carragher or Rio would've relished defending in that second half, not part of Walker's skillsuit. Interested to see his role going forward as Trippier is automatic selection now.

Stones 7- Alright but always feel there's a lack of concentration imminent and brutally punished tonight.

Maguire 8- Cult hero. Wonderful tournament.

Young 7- Good tournament although think his ageing legs started to give up.

Trippier 9- Magnificent. Scored goals, made goals, defended well. Can't ask for more really. Should be in team of the tournament.

Dele Alli 5- Worst regular player for England imo, yes poorer than Sterling. Seemed injured all the time and not really sure of his role anyway, just dosen't seem as good a fit for England as Spurs.

Lingard 7- Excellent v Sweden. Fine in other games. Place may come under threat in next year though for more creative options rather than runners in midfield.

Henderson 7- Think he gets a lot of unfair stick mainly due to the club he plays for but his job was to hold his position and help out at back four and he did that fine. Imagine Dier starting as the DM.......!

Sterling 6- Better in games than the scapegoating he got. Loses a mark for his usual abysmal finishing.

Kane 7.5- Strange tournament. Will likely get golden boot. 5 goals were v Tunisia and Panama and he pretty much disappeared from Colombia and Croatia games as they went on. I do think he picked up injury that restricted him though. Probably due to being rushed back end of last season.

Usual subs

Dier 5- Scored the famous penalty but woeful in normal play.

Rose 6- Decent when he came on. Unlucky not to start.

Rashford 6- Constant calls for him to start but lacked game knowledge when he came on with some of the runs he was making. Feels like he's regressed in last 12 months. Still very young exciting talent if developed properly.

Vardy N/A- Didn't do anything and didn't take penalty v Colombia.

• Like 1

Well you weren't a shambles, played some good stuff and actually looked like a team, so that is a big step up. Then again, you played two decent teams and got beat by both of them, so I wouldn't put too much stock into this being the jumping off point for great things.

Dread to think if it had been one of the usual suspects and not Gareth in charge. Hart still blundering around in goal, Rooney handed the "quarterback" role slowing everything to a crawl and Wiltshire charging round like a headless chicken in 40 degree heat... it could have all been so different. Frightening.

Played the dark art's well for a change too, I think Kane may be the new Drogba.

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

my 10 pence

Wilshere and shelvey arent good enough, wilshere doesnt play enough football to merit an inclusion either, henderson has had a really good tournament and i think tonight showed the tactic was long and early, we didnt try and keep the ball in midfield, we pushed maguire and stones up instead

i think rashford's 2 extra time set pieces showed why young was in ahead of rose, its been the best part about us this tournament so young and trippier were key, he was shit tonight though a good yard off the pace

agree, we seemed to set up around him tonight and i thought he was excellent, no such thing as a lost cause, gave lovren and vida huge problems

agree again, ali has had a poor world cup, never looked fit, looked shattered and injured tonight

I disagree that Shelvey and Wilshere are not good enough to be in the squad although I wasnt saying they’d be guaranteed starting eleven but having them as an option off the bench instead of players like dier they offer far more, we struggled heavily in CM imo, especially tonight when Ali and Lingard went missing.

With young I’d suggest just putting Trippier on both corners and free kicks as young’s Delivery doesn’t beat Trippier’s anyway, Rose is better than young that just my opinion. 

Overall though it’s been a good World Cup for England just feels very deflating right now. 

9 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Dread to think if it had been one of the usual suspects and not Gareth in charge. Hart still blundering around in goal, Rooney handed the "quarterback" role slowing everything to a crawl and Wiltshire charging round like a headless chicken in 40 degree heat... it could have all been so different. Frightening.

Wilshire would have been stretchered off injured during the national anthem

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Odd to think that if Grant Holt was playing instead of Kane tonight we'd probably have won.

Harry Kane might be a good player but is he a real man like Grant Holt

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I just can't get behind teams that cause me this much hurt.  I genuinely wish misery on both Croatia and Fulham.

Croatia have just reached their first ever world cup final... incredible considering they're a nation of only 4 million people. They'll be overjoyed whatever happens now.

27 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Well you weren't a shambles, played some good stuff and actually looked like a team, so that is a big step up. Then again, you played two decent teams and got beat by both of them, so I wouldn't put too much stock into this being the jumping off point for great things.

Harsh, but fair.

Â