FA cup final, for those remotely interested

Mark Albrighton

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The FA Cup Final used to be a huge event. The build up for it all week was massive. Nowadays it just seems like just another game. Chelsea would rather finish 4th than win the FA Cup, I would wager. 

Meh, maybe its me being a miserable old sod! ?

It was pretty clear in the build up programme neither manager really rated it and would have rather been on holiday.

The FA cup final is shit. When I was a kid it was looked forward to, as usually it could be absolutely anyone in the final.

These days it's the same 3 or 4 teams, no one gives a shit anymore.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Moving the semi finals to Wembley has definitely taken the shine off the final imo. But like a lot of things in football, the FA cup final has turned into a corporate event.

It's the fact that nobody takes it seriously anymore. Throughout the competition teams, even championship sides, rest their best players for fa cup games. Then if they stumble into a quarter final they might consider taking it seriously but even this year Southampton didn't care about it and they were in the semi final. That's why it's lost its lustre, because nobody really gives a shit about it because other competitions are much more important. 

54 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The FA cup final is shit. When I was a kid it was looked forward to, as usually it could be absolutely anyone in the final.

I don't think there's much truth to this, tbh.

A list of finalists in the last decade are below. Chelsea have certainly been there more than their fair share, but the same 3-4 clubs? Nah. 

Chelsea x5

Man United x2

Arsenal x3

Crystal Palace

Aston Villa

Hull City

Wigan

Man City

Liverpool

Stoke

Portsmouth

Everton

• Like 1

Football saturation aswell.

70s and 80s they were hardly any live football matches and FA cup was one of them.

Now it is just another game. Champions league final feels a much bigger event now in terms of build up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's much truth to this, tbh.

A list of finalists in the last decade are below. Chelsea have certainly been there more than their fair share, but the same 3-4 clubs? Nah. 

OK, the teams you named probably PLAYED one of the usual 3 or 4 suspects.

Still boring and shit. Especially when Villa get there and get a bumraping.

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

OK, the teams you named probably PLAYED one of the usual 3 or 4 suspects.

Still boring and shit. Especially when Villa get there and get a bumraping.

Except the 2008 final, either United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or City has been in a final since 1991 with them winning majority of times

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Except the 2008 final, either United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or City has been in a final since 1991 with them winning majority of times

That is a horrific stat

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Unless you grew up in the 1920's/30's It's always been the same, Just nostalgia for when there wasn't much football on tv.

70's Arsenal were in 5 finals, Liverpool 3, United 3

80's Everton were in 4, United, Liverpool & Spurs all in 3

90's mixed it up a little but it was still United 4, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea in pertty much every final.

Hell even go back to when it started, Wanderers, Old Etonians, Oxford & Royal engineers were in the first 11 finals & Blackburn in 7 of the next 10

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

How rich to hear Jose, moaning about how many players Chelsea had behind the ball. Pot and kettle comes to mind.

I think hes just on the windup nowadays. 

Like when he bigs up his achievements that he slated the likes of Wenger for bragging about in the past. He’s not an idiot, just playing a game for his own amusement. He clearly doesn’t take himself very seriously. 

On 19/05/2018 at 18:34, Shropshire Lad said:

Anyone else had to remind themselves that Sanchez is in the starting line up for Man Utd?

I was just amazed to discover that Ashley Young is still a thing. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was just amazed to discover that Ashley Young is still a thing. 

I got quite nostalgic watching him race down the left wing before overhitting a cross by about 20 yards.

Â