What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Christmas Day tipples were Guinness, Capt. Morgan, whiskey (a combination of 16yr Bushmills, Black Bush & regular Bushmills) and my own mulled wine. Boxing Stephens' Day tipples were whiskey, Capt. Morgan & red wine (we ran out of Guinness, hehe...).

• 3 weeks later...

It may well be that I am developing (growing is probably the wrong word) a vagina, but I am enjoying the bottle of Bushmills Irish Honey I acquired tonight.

bushmills-irish-honey.jpg

Now the Irish are getting into the honey whiskey thing. Bushmills Irish Honey is the first honey-flavored spirit (to my knowledge) from the Emerald Isle, a simple blend of original Bushmills, Irish honey, and Irish water, bottled in the traditionally squared Bushmills-style bottle.

The results are solid. As Jack Daniels proved with its Tennessee Honey liqueur, the key to getting this category right is going easy on the honey. Really easy.

Here, the whiskey does the bulk of the talking, as it should, and the honey hangs in the background, always there but never pushing its way to the forefront. Instead it’s really more like a light bodied whiskey that has honey as its primary character.

Beyond that, however, there’s not much to report. Like standard Bushmills the whiskey component is youthful and uncomplicated, heavy with grain character, cereal, and heather. The honey itself doesn’t offer any clues as to its heritage — no orange character, and so on — just a pleasant sweetness. Put together it’s like a grown-up, liquified version of Honeycomb cereal. I mean that in the best possible way imaginable.

Basically sums it up right there.

2ymy2wo.jpg

Shepherd Neame - Whitstable Bay

It stands out on the shelf. Too pretty really. Usually wouldn't touch anything that colour, but it's organic.

It's alright, quite refreshing. Maybe again over Summer possibly.

My local brewery. :) Shepherd Neame knock out some seriously good beers. The Whitstable Bay is lovely, as is their Late Red. I'm lucky to get most of their beers on draught. Bloody Marvellous.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I am having a brandy - I couldn't drink earlier as I was driving back from Wigan.

Today has been an emotional rollercoaster: from the Welsh Police guard of honour to the moment the words "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust" were read.

When I say I'm having a brandy - I'm going to get drunk as a skunk. RIP mate.

• 2 weeks later...
Â