What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

samuel_adams_boston_ale.5etisv4x1jwg04gs48kcsso00.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

Sam Adams Boston Ale: officially taxonomied as an American Pale Ale, but in a lot of respects it trends more towards an English Pale Ale, being more earthy and less hoppy than the typical APA; indeed one of the Sam Adams brewmasters has essentially admitted it's their take on Bass.

Sam adams is stink in my opinion

With you on that. I kept trying to give it a chance when I was in the States and regretted it every time. Unless you're in a dive where it's a choice between Sam Adams and Bud, there's almost always a much nicer option around.

• 2 weeks later...

20121027_174858.jpg

The main thing is the "Iceman" cider from Angry Orchard (750 mL bottle), which is an adaptation of the Quebec-style cidre de glace. 10% alcohol/volume, and delicious!

(yes, that's a six-pack of Old Speckled Hen between the Newcastle Brown Ale and Bass)

But what in the name of god are those abominations trapped in plastic cases on top of the booze?

I almost thought one of them read "Chocolate peanut butter pie", but I realise I must be mistaken - no-one could be quite that sick.

And does the other one say "Turkey and sawdust sandwich"?

But what in the name of god are those abominations trapped in plastic cases on top of the booze?

I almost thought one of them read "Chocolate peanut butter pie", but I realise I must be mistaken - no-one could be quite that sick.

I'm an American, chocolate plus peanut butter is amazing!

And does the other one say "Turkey and sawdust sandwich"?

Turkey and Swiss [cheese (more or less the US take on Emmental)]

Not right now, but the other night I finally tried

banana-beer.jpg

I love anything banana-flavoured so this had been on my radar for quite a while. It was ... interesting.

Â