Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

15 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It's best to just avoid X entirely. Musk has turned it into a festering soup of fake news, homophobia, idol worship of dictators and white power.

I guess the good thing about X is that there’s the fact checking capability with the community notes, it doesn’t always limit fake news but it’s given people another perspective on a lot of events 

Edited by Rustibrooks

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Israel having nukes is an open secret.

This official is clearly a **** idiot.

Mordechai Vanunu still not allowed to speak to foreigners or leave the country

You’d have to be particularly bright to want to explode a nuclear bomb in an open prison 4 miles wide that borders your own settlements.

These people are on all sides of all debates and must drive the adults to absolute distraction.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

My work mate is more concerned about fuel prices going up because of this. Not sure how this affects fuel prices mind, but yeah that’s his priority. 

Well, for most people that's just the way things are, really. Palestine is a long way away (though not that far - it's not far from Cyprus really) and it involves, 99% of people, foreigners. The only people that are likely to have actual skin in the game (as opposed to say, an intellectual or humanitarian interest) are people of Palestinian descent, Israelis, and, for one reason or another, Jewish people.

Will it affect fuel prices? Eh, maybe a little. Conflict of any sort will have some effect on any commodity price, whether that is actually noticeable to the common man is a different matter. The only way it really affects the petrol price is if it becomes a wider regional conflict, which is unlikely. Israel isn't really an oil producing nation and Palestine may as well not exist as far as international trade goes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think these two points can be contradictory. 

It's difficult to help someone stay in a place that saw extermination. Many Jews were happy to buy into Zionism and the idea 'of their own place' after the disaster of the first half of the 20th century. And I can't blame them.

The problem is that the place which was chosen had other people in it already. 

Palestine was being looked at by Polish Zionists back in the 30s as a possible place to settle.

On 1st September 1939 a ship in Gdansk (Danzig) harbour, laden with arms to fight the British in Palestine, was halted for use by the Polish Army against the invading Germans. Source: Rising 44 by Norman Davis. A very good book about the Warsaw Rising, not the ghetto uprising.

Edited by Clarry

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Well, for most people that's just the way things are, really. Palestine is a long way away (though not that far - it's not far from Cyprus really) and it involves, 99% of people, foreigners. The only people that are likely to have actual skin in the game (as opposed to say, an intellectual or humanitarian interest) are people of Palestinian descent, Israelis, and, for one reason or another, Jewish people.

Will it affect fuel prices? Eh, maybe a little. Conflict of any sort will have some effect on any commodity price, whether that is actually noticeable to the common man is a different matter. The only way it really affects the petrol price is if it becomes a wider regional conflict, which is unlikely. Israel isn't really an oil producing nation and Palestine may as well not exist as far as international trade goes.

I’ll tell him I’ve spoke to an expert on the Middle East it’s likely to double within the next month .

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Clarry said:

Palestine was being looked at by Polish Zionists back in the 30s as a possible place to settle.

On 1st September 1939 a ship in Gdansk (Danzig) harbour, laden with arms to fight the British in Palestine, was halted for use by the Polish Army against the invading Germans. Source: Rising 44 by Norman Davis. A very good book about the Warsaw Rising, not the ghetto uprising.

Palestine was always a "preferred" destination should the Zionists decide the Jews should have their own state. 

Jewish terrorist factions were running around Palestine in the 1920s, and the Jewish population of Palestine was growing throughout the period of British administration of Palestine. And some Zionist groups in Germany under the Nazis used the Nazi's hatred of them to influence the development of a policy that made leaving Germany for Palestine 'a better deal' than leaving by any other route (the Haavara agreement - essentially an agreement that Jewish people could transfer their wealth to Palestine and emigrate there to escape persecution under an increasingly hostile Nazi regime, whilst getting around immigration laws imposed by Britain on Palestine). Given that Palestine was the location of some of Judaism's holiest sites it was the obvious choice for a Jewish homeland - unfortunately it was inhabitated by other people.

Infamously one of the other plans the Nazi's had was to establish a Jewish homeland in Madagascar, which is so bizarre it almost seems comical.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Hamas claims to be the legitimate government of the Gaza Strip. 

If my country was almost completely reliant on a neighbour for electricity, water and food and their military was bigger and better armed - I don't think I'd invade and murder its civilians. 

There is blame on both sides.  But the latest crisis was caused by Hamas.  They gained very little and will lose 200 times more in the coming days. 

Whether you agree with the Palestine people and their suffering is irrelevant. Their government is 100% to blame for the upcoming death of thousands of its own people.  

It's no different to the deaths of thousands of innocent Germans in WW2.  Hitler ruined Germany - not the allies. 

What an utterly disgusting post.

What you’re saying is that when (if) israel murder thousands of people it’s ALL because of what Hamas did?!

By your rationale, the Israeli civilians that were murdered was a 100% responsibility of the Israeli government, after all its their constant provocation that led to the massacre??

And to bring comparisons to **** Hitler?! Are you out of your mind?

Newsflash mate, Hamas are 100% responsible for the massacre, and Israel are 100% responsible for any murders they commit.  Stop trying to justify any response of murdering civilians. 

This is a thought disease spreading through the world to ignorant people who buy all the shit fed to them by the crap they watch on TV.

But let me tell you, what Hamas did was a retaliation to oppression.  It was absolutely wrong.  But they were provoked for decades.

How on earth can you sit there and actually believe that people getting bombed is justified?

Your bias is as obvious as the media. And it’s disgusting.

Both sides need to stop the violence.

Patting them on the back, or justifying murder is disgusting.

Grow up.

You’re as bad as BBC World.

More than 500 people have died in Gaza after Israel launched massive retaliatory air strikes, according to Gaza's health ministry More than 700 people have been killed in Israel since Hamas launched its attacks on Saturday

Israelis killed.

Palestinians just ‘die’

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My work mate is more concerned about fuel prices going up because of this. Not sure how this affects fuel prices mind, but yeah that’s his priority. 

Tbf to your mate when the Yom Kippur war kicked off OPEC refused to sell oil to the USA, as they backed Israel, causing the '73 fuel crisis so it's not a crazy worry to have

10 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I'm not sure I agree.

It's not Arab nations that will make Israel stop their occupation, it's the West. In the West almost everyone has seen what Hamas have done and been pushed far from what they stand for.

Yes, it might hurt trade or a deal with SA for Israel, but it'll hurt almost every Westerner's perception of Palestine and Hamas as a result.

If you ask the average voter in any democracy in Europe what they think about when you say Hamas, I'm sure you'll also see what most of the power players internationally feel.

Hmmm. I think Arab support for the Palestinians is more important than you give it credit for, but you’re probably right it’s not the pivotal issue.

That said I think the pivotal issue is specifically US military aid and military support, rather than the West as a whole. Europe has been complaining at Israel from the sidelines for a while now but Israel clearly feels able to entirely ignore them. But if America pulled its backing of Israel I’m sure they’d change course pretty quickly.

I suppose you’re right that this attack will probably shore up support for Israel among Democrats, who have recently soured on Israel a lot (assuming Israel doesn’t commit too many war crimes in Gaza).

But while that’s important, I still wouldn’t say it changes the overall situation too much, as it just means America will keep doing what they’ve been doing for decades already.

• Like 1

Â