Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I'm not sure I agree.

It's not Arab nations that will make Israel stop their occupation, it's the West. In the West almost everyone has seen what Hamas have done and been pushed far from what they stand for.

Yes, it might hurt trade or a deal with SA for Israel, but it'll hurt almost every Westerner's perception of Palestine and Hamas as a result.

If you ask the average voter in any democracy in Europe what they think about when you say Hamas, I'm sure you'll also see what most of the power players internationally feel.

Frankly the stuff I’ve heard this morning about what Hamas insurgents did to children I wouldn’t be shocked if Israel went and carpet bombed Gaza. Beheading babies? There’s no excuse for that regardless of how angry and “pushed” you are.

Obviously you need to try and have restraint but there’s some things that are so vile that they won’t be inclined to mercy and let’s be honest, after that who can really blame them. What hamas have done is truly revolting.

• Like 1

Bit like using phosphorus bombs against hospitals or settlers putting kids in cages and burning them alive.

Both side commits horrors but one side has the media and the lobbyist.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Frankly the stuff I’ve heard this morning about what Hamas insurgents did to children I wouldn’t be shocked if Israel went and carpet bombed Gaza. Beheading babies? There’s no excuse for that regardless of how angry and “pushed” you are.

Obviously you need to try and have restraint but there’s some things that are so vile that they won’t be inclined to mercy and let’s be honest, after that who can really blame them. What hamas have done is truly revolting.

Just catching up on this . I have no words other than revenge will be an understatement from Israel. 

29 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I've seen reported elsewhere that this was nonsense. I don't know either way tbf  and clearly Hamas have committed obvious war crimes anyway but is this specific example actually true?

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Bit like using phosphorus bombs against hospitals or settlers putting kids in cages and burning them alive.

Both side commits horrors but one side has the media and the lobbyist.

Whataboutism just makes it look like you’re trying to excuse or justify it. Are you?

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

What hamas have done is truly revolting.

It's nothing worse than what Israel have been doing to Palestine for decades. 

Unlike in Northern Ireland it's hard to see a peaceful end to the war in Israel/Palestine. Certainly not when people like Netenayu are being elected in Israel.  

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I've seen reported elsewhere that this was nonsense. I don't know either way tbf  and clearly Hamas have committed obvious war crimes anyway but is this specific example actually true?

Apparently some guy in Turkey's army have said it isn't true, but Reuters are running with the story. Lots of people have been massacred with machetes and knives in kibbutzes in either case.

How an Israeli kibbutz 'paradise' turned into hell in Hamas attack

"Mothers, fathers, babies, young families killed in their beds, in the protection room, in the dining room, in their garden," Israeli Major General Itai Veruv said on Tuesday, the seasoned soldier visibly shaken as troops went door-to-door to collect the bodies of residents killed in their homes.

"It's not a war, it's not a battlefield. It's a massacre," Veruv said. Some victims were decapitated, he added. "I've never seen anything like this, and I've served for 40 years."

• Thanks 1

Egypt are still refusing to open their border to Gaza to let civilians out.

If you thought Israel is the only country to mistreat Palestinians, you're wrong. Palestine is used by all its Arab neighbours as a permanent thorn in their enemy's side, but when Palestine needs help these same actors often go eerily silent. 

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Egypt are still refusing to open their border to Gaza to let civilians out.

If you thought Israel is the only country to mistreat Palestinians, you're wrong. Palestine is used by all its Arab neighbours as a permanent thorn in their enemy's side, but when Palestine needs help these same actors often go eerily silent. 

Egypt has enough problems with terrorists / terrorism. It's already half destroyed their tourism industry. Last thing they want is to import a few million people who were daft enough to vote for Hamas + however many Hamas insurgents are left.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Thank goodness the story about hamas beheading children was fake

it doesn't matter if it's true or not. Now it's taken hold, and it's the undoubted truth.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The pictures on the TV of the destruction of buildings by Israeli bombs is unreal, just terrible. I believe they have some proper gear, unlike Russia.

I think I read they're the most well-armed army in the world. They could wipe Gaza off the face of the planet from a distance easily.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Egypt has enough problems with terrorists / terrorism. It's already half destroyed their tourism industry. Last thing they want is to import a few million people who were daft enough to vote for Hamas + however many Hamas insurgents are left.

It's just the sheer hypocrisy that gets me. These states are happy for Hamas to do what they're doing, but they refuse to aid the civilians that are under the heel of Hamas when the repercussions come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

Then why is your first reaction to say "well Israel did x"?

Is there any justification in your mind for someone to enter someones home and behead their children?

Well, no.

But it also (likely) isn't true.

2 observations - hopefully free of whataboutery which I agree doesn't lead anywhere. 

1) The recent events have made the Palestinian plight a live issue once again.

2) There is a clear media bias in the UK favouring the Israeli position. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Then why is your first reaction to say "well Israel did x"?

Is there any justification in your mind for someone to enter someones home and behead their children?

With respect - you're getting carried away - nobody on here feels anything other than sick reading about what has happened. 

Â