God of War

Chindie

GC's review gave it 8/10, citing overly familiar locations, a flawed skill tree, repetitive puzzles and a plot which they referred to as 'formless jumble', which I won't expand upon, nor will I link the review as it felt a little too spoiler-y to me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Platinumed this afternoon.

What a great game.

Taking the Ragnarok story and spinning their own story around it, and taking the characters in different directions (Odin as a mafia family head mixed with a duplicitous tyrant, Thor as the mafia muscles guy who knows he's done evil deep down... Etc etc). Brilliant.

It does have slightly wonky pacing - it takes a while to get going, and then it rapidly ups the pace before slamming the brakes and then whacking it full pelt again to the end - meaning it feels like the story hurls itself from too much going on to not enough a few times. And it really is more of the last game with the polish and enemy variety turned up. But it's such a good formula, and all the presentation of it is just... peerless.

I will say it's got a few bugs though. The final... 'mission' I found would break if you came at it from the wrong direction (literally), and I had a couple of times where I needed to reset a checkpoint to get through a section as something would go wrong - examples including in Vanaheim Atreus got stuck at the bottom of a chain meaning a combat section requiring arrows in the very next area was impossible, and another case of the game just breaking when everything a story scene (the same area that broke the final mission, actually).

But overall. Wow. What a great, great, great game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had this for crimble, only a couple of hours in. Seems more of the same which is a good thing but disappointed the graphics aren’t much of a jump on PS5.

Forbidden West for example is a night and day difference and also cross gen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I started it about 2 weeks ago and then moved house

Its not grabbed me if I'm honest

I felt the same for several hours when I started it. They don't really seem to have developed the game much since the first one.  I'll play it until completion but not something I'll devote my limited time to.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Ragnarok a lot, I would say I am in the latter stages of the game but have gone off on a tangent and gone exploring and trying to take down some of the optional bosses, which are challenging and fun. A lot of it is just finding the pattern and then being able to avoid or block hits long enough to wittle them down, struggling with one in particular so might have to come back after finishing the game. Not played it for a few months now but is a good game and enjoying the storyline more than the first one i think

GoW 2018 is probably my favourite game. 

Ragnorok isn't :( 

Essentially it boils down to (********SPOILERS!!!!!!!*******);

- The story feeling rushed compared to the first.  There's so much going on, you don't get a chance to develop any feelings towards the characters, they're all kind of doing their own thing and you do yours.  the third act in particular... the war on Asgard which has been prophesized over 2 games, lasts about 30 minutes (feels like).

- The new characters feel off to me.   Thrud, Surtr, Freyr - who cares?  I don't mind that Agraboda was black, but it is out of place for Norse mythology, but again it's fine. 

- Dialogue - the amount of needless swearing makes it seem more like a HBO show written for 18-25 year olds.  Also, that "Marvel" "smart mouth" where everyone has something "witty" to say after a close-call or something cool happens far too often (Kratos excluded, he doesn't do this).

- Atreus play sections.  After the second time, he's quite boring and there are about 6 times you play as him. 

- Jotunheim - wow, the pacing is painfully slow, the pay off is tiny and it's forced on you.  I would kick that Yak's ass if I could.  Again, boring dialogue between the characters.

- Big snake is only in it for like a minute or so, tops?!! Jormungandr is one of the coolest things about 2018... I was really disappointed we didn't see anything other than a "really far off distance, blue spec Thor bop him on the nose and he disappears" when the mythology about their Epic battle was enough to send him back in time.. it was just so "is that it?!"

- Freya ended the last game swearing vengeance on you, spend all of 2 minutes in this one trying to hurt you, then spends the rest of the game helping you out.. pretty forgetful (or just overly dramatic?!) 

what I DID like:

- Kratos is just a cool character.  His growth through the two games is really good.  The mechanics for him feel weighty and powerful, I love everything about him

- Some of the cut scenes were really good and the over-arching story is good - it's just filtered down by the sass I mentioned above. 

- I enjoyed the game as a whole, despite my moaning, I'll go back and get the platinum (nearly done already to be honest), which will make this and GoW 2018 my only platinums - worthy! 

- Thor.  I liked Thor.  I thought his story was good, I thought he was acted really well and he seemed like a decent match for Kratos.  His hammer and stuff were great. 

- Sindri - I didn't like the dwarves too much in the first one, but he's a star in this one.  

- Garm fight

- Nidhoff fight

- Heimdall fight

- Really good set pieces. 

Overall, after a 10/10 for the 2018 game, I'm giving this a 7.5 sadly :( 

Please give me more Kratos mr developer sir. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

GoW 2018 is probably my favourite game. 

Ragnorok isn't :( 

Essentially it boils down to (********SPOILERS!!!!!!!*******);

Reveal hidden contents

- The story feeling rushed compared to the first.  There's so much going on, you don't get a chance to develop any feelings towards the characters, they're all kind of doing their own thing and you do yours.  the third act in particular... the war on Asgard which has been prophesized over 2 games, lasts about 30 minutes (feels like).

- The new characters feel off to me.   Thrud, Surtr, Freyr - who cares?  I don't mind that Agraboda was black, but it is out of place for Norse mythology, but again it's fine. 

- Dialogue - the amount of needless swearing makes it seem more like a HBO show written for 18-25 year olds.  Also, that "Marvel" "smart mouth" where everyone has something "witty" to say after a close-call or something cool happens far too often (Kratos excluded, he doesn't do this).

- Atreus play sections.  After the second time, he's quite boring and there are about 6 times you play as him. 

- Jotunheim - wow, the pacing is painfully slow, the pay off is tiny and it's forced on you.  I would kick that Yak's ass if I could.  Again, boring dialogue between the characters.

- Big snake is only in it for like a minute or so, tops?!! Jormungandr is one of the coolest things about 2018... I was really disappointed we didn't see anything other than a "really far off distance, blue spec Thor bop him on the nose and he disappears" when the mythology about their Epic battle was enough to send him back in time.. it was just so "is that it?!"

- Freya ended the last game swearing vengeance on you, spend all of 2 minutes in this one trying to hurt you, then spends the rest of the game helping you out.. pretty forgetful (or just overly dramatic?!) 

what I DID like:

- Kratos is just a cool character.  His growth through the two games is really good.  The mechanics for him feel weighty and powerful, I love everything about him

- Some of the cut scenes were really good and the over-arching story is good - it's just filtered down by the sass I mentioned above. 

- I enjoyed the game as a whole, despite my moaning, I'll go back and get the platinum (nearly done already to be honest), which will make this and GoW 2018 my only platinums - worthy! 

- Thor.  I liked Thor.  I thought his story was good, I thought he was acted really well and he seemed like a decent match for Kratos.  His hammer and stuff were great. 

- Sindri - I didn't like the dwarves too much in the first one, but he's a star in this one.  

- Garm fight

- Nidhoff fight

- Heimdall fight

- Really good set pieces. 

Overall, after a 10/10 for the 2018 game, I'm giving this a 7.5 sadly :( 

Please give me more Kratos mr developer sir. 

This sums up what i feel about it very well. I liked it,but nowhere near as much as the 2018 game. It was just more of the same with a story that didnt grab me like the first one did. Still a good game. I just wanted to be amazed like i was when i finished the 2018 game,The Last of Us 1,and 2. But when i knew i started to get near the end of the game i just wanted to get to the end credits,so i could start up another game. 

The last game i played was Elden Ring,and i had Bloodborne ready to start,so i might be a bit biased from beeing on a From Software fix lately :D

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Bought this for 38 quid on release from Turkey psn and have not yet played it. Hogwarts & call of duty took up most of my game playing time.

As I'm off work a couple more weeks I may give this one up tomoz and hope its as good as the last one.

• 1 month later...

Finished the main game of Ragnarok last weekend. On my way to try and get the Platinum challenges now. But wow - what a game. GoW 2018 is one of my all-time favourites and this is a great follow-up. Nitpicking I would say I didn't enjoy the 

Spoiler

First time you meet Angrboda and have to spend a load of time in a slow, boring Jotunheim mission and the Gryla fight I thought was a bit boring but most of my friends enjoyed that so...

On the plus side the voice acting is superb. Richard Schiff is **** excellent as Odin and Ryan Hurst is superb as Thor in the small doses you get him. Christopher Judge is (again) absolutely superb and got most of the biggest laughs from me. 

Other spoilery things I enjoy are 

Spoiler

The Draupnir Spear!!! **** fantastic to have a weapon that is so useful and quick to throw. The Leviathan Axe is fun but being able to quickthrow about 5 spears into someone's body and then detonate them - very cathartic. Also the attack where you can use the spear to siphon the power of your opponent out, like getting the Bifrost out of the Einherjar to attack them back with was super fun.

The enemy variety was good too. Special shout out to the Phantoms.

Overall an exceptional game and for any sequel or followup for GoW, in the words of Kylian Mbappe, I will be there no matter what 

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2023 at 07:58, Stevo985 said:

Finally got round to starting Ragnarok, feels beautifully familiar

Taken me a while to properly get into this. I found the first few hours much the same as the last game, very cutscene heavy meaning it's really slow going. You just want to play the game but it's full of story. Which has it's pay off but it's a grind when it's happening.

Well and truly into it now. I'd guess I'm about 25 hours in.

It's spectacular

• Like 1

On 03/09/2023 at 22:57, Stevo985 said:

Well and truly into it now. I'd guess I'm about 25 hours in.

Turns out it was 35 hours. Probably around 40 now.

I feel like I'm approaching the end now but I'll obviously do a sweep afterwards to finish all the side quests and labours. 100%ed the last one and intend to do it with this one as well.

Haven't touched many Berserkers yet though...

Â