God of War

Chindie

Reviews came out today for the God of War reboot, and apparently it's astounding.

There's some talk this might become the PS4's highest rated game. I can't quite see why it's being hyped so much, it looks like a very good third person actioner with great graphics and that's great and all, but console best? Not seeing it. Saying that, it's telling that the clips available from reviews etc are clearly early on and there's a lot we have yet to see, and reviewers have hinted that what hasn't been revealed shouldn't be spoiled, so perhaps there really is an all time great here, rather than just an excellent title.

I never played the old games, just never appealed really, but I was intrigued in this the moment it was revealed and to hear it's supposedly fantastic is great news. I also love Norse mythology so hopefully this will play with the rich stories you can mine from Odin and his crew.

If im honest i didnt think the old games were anything amazing, solid with simple gameplay and some great set pieces but only really a 7/10, its a flagship title for sony but i was never really sure why and id probably say neither were they, theres been some spin offs and psp titles and HD collections etc but this is only the 4th game in 13 years (5th if you include ascension but i saw that more as GoW multiplayer) 1st game in 8 years

The bits of reviews ive read for this make it sound brilliant, loads of depth added to the character but im still not 100% sure how much depth they will have added to the gameplay, i think the world theyve created and the story might hook me though, the 1 review suggested that technology has advanced so much in the 8 years this game takes a huge jump forward, hoping its as good as horizon 

I absolutely adored god of war 3 (1st one I played).   I don't usually like platformers very much, but the sheer scale blew me away.

I played through it 3 times, which apart from mgs1, I've never done with any other game.

Maybe I was the right age for senseless violence? I dunno, but I really liked it.

Stupidly, never played another one.

Really looking forward to this game as the hack and slash genre has seemed to disappear a bit lately, apart from the really hard games like Bloodborne which don’t interest me. The metacritic average score is 94 at the moment which is unreal!

I've never thought of God of War games as anything other than graphics showcases and that seemed to be where most of the praise came over the years. Very much mutton dressed as lamb.

This has shifted to a completely different perspective and seems to have  shifted the gameplay - it looks to be much less of a button basher hack and slash game, with weightier combat and some animation priority stuff.

It still has the incredible graphics of course, but it looks like there's more to it now. It's certainly the first time I've been interested in a God of War game. Part of that being how some places are talking it up as game of the generation stuff ;)

Someone ought to tell the main character that he can open a chest by just lifting the lid. :D

I have never player a God of War game, but a work colleague of mine who is a keen gamer and recommended Witcher 3 to me is buying a PS4 just to play this game as it is not being released on any other platform haha. He said he will do a game swap with me when he is done, so I will probably wait until then to play it. I will keep an eye on this thread in the mean time.

A large chunk of the praise I've read for this is based on the fact that the devs haven't made 'God of War 4', in so much that this is such a change for the series (and lead character) that it demands to be applauded. Especially when so many other sequels would merely tweak the gameplay. I haven't played a God of War either, and probably won't play this (until sales, perhaps), but I do see it as a massive positive that the game is so different to the rest in the series.

Yea, GOW3 wasn't exactly high brow.  It certainly wasn't groundbreaking and I've never been into hack and slashers like Devil may Cry and even to a certain extent bloodbourne.

I think the asthetic got me, the fun boss battles.  Everything had a weight to it, and I like that in a game.  The graphics were really good, but I don't mind games with "bad" graphics. 

It was just an interactive action movie, with a fun story, fun controls, titans which were really cool and other stuff. 

Edited by lapal_fan

The reviews for this are making me FOMO. Might wait and pick it up second hand though, these types of games I get really into for about 5-10 hours trying to do everything, then get bored before completing it. Had that issue with Horizon.

Edited by PieFacE

Loved Gow1/2. Was less impressed with GoW3 but could still like it. Really happy to see the game coming back and evolving past what it was. People seem to forget games like DMC and God of War were huge for the PS2. 

Interested to see how this one shot thing works too,saw an interview with the guy that came up with it he was working on tomb raider at the time and they rejected the idea that could be a bigger leap forward than it sounds

(My understanding is there are no loading screens and there are no cuts between the game and the story it all just flows)

I'm curious at how the one shot is made to be such a big deal. I'm certain its difficult to achieve, it forces you to see design the entire game around the idea you can never cut away or edit, which would be a nightmare for any visual medium, but I'm unsure why as a player that should improve the game, or impress me.

It's also interesting that Eurogamer's video above suggests it doesn't work to the games benefit - editing is an important element of any story, and this doesn't let them do it.

It likely doesn't benefit the game all that much, but not everything has to when some things are just done to add challenge and complexity. Game development isn't fun and it's boring when you're doing things that world class artists/programmers find mundane and easy, often times making a game harder to make adds in that fun as everything becomes a challenge. I think they would have gotten shit for the change had it impacted the quality of the game, but it's getting 9 and 10/10 scores from everyone so it worked out and they are now in the elite group of games like Half-Life 2 which also have no cuts/edits.

It's surprisingly difficult. You can die very easily, enemies punish you and it isn't afraid of letting you fight stuff you shouldn't do early on. The game 'opens up' a couple of hours in and one of the first things you can come across at that point will literally one shot you. I did a sidequest earlier that lead to a boss that was able to kill me in just a couple of shots and suffice to say it did 4 times on the trot.

But it's really good so far. The production values are through the roof, it looks incredible (mostly - there's a few design choices that look naff imo), it sounds brilliant (setting aside how American Midgard is - it just doesn't sound right when you have Norse mythology coming out of the mouths of Californians), the gameplay is satisfying. The fight system takes a little getting used to, it isn't quite Souls like, but it isn't quite hack and slash either. It also have surprising nuance to it, which the game quickly forces you to discover, and as you upgrade your abilities it only gets more fun. It also rewards exploration constantly, and has some, if simple, puzzles. And it scratches that loot itch with upgrades for everything.

I don't think, yet, that its any more than a very very good game, but there is potential to it. And it's barely started.

Really enjoyed the second boss fight

hes a miserable mean old bastard of a dad ain't he!!

pretty much everything I expected it to be so far, haven't really delved too deep in to the menus and various add ins etc brilliantly violent, they got some good baddie variance thrown in early, everything about it so far just works, yet to think any of it is a bit shit or annoying 

Can't really fault it The story is telling its self slowly but in a way that feels very organic so far. There has been 0 characters just spouting exposition and what I have picked up about characters and whats going on is based on really natural conversation. 

Kratos is also hilarious, his distain for absolutely everybody contrasts really well with his sons youthful optimism. 

• Like 1

Â