God of War

Chindie

On 13/02/2023 at 16:12, lapal_fan said:

GoW 2018 is probably my favourite game. 

Ragnorok isn't :( 

Essentially it boils down to (********SPOILERS!!!!!!!*******);

Hide contents

- The story feeling rushed compared to the first.  There's so much going on, you don't get a chance to develop any feelings towards the characters, they're all kind of doing their own thing and you do yours.  the third act in particular... the war on Asgard which has been prophesized over 2 games, lasts about 30 minutes (feels like).

- The new characters feel off to me.   Thrud, Surtr, Freyr - who cares?  I don't mind that Agraboda was black, but it is out of place for Norse mythology, but again it's fine. 

- Dialogue - the amount of needless swearing makes it seem more like a HBO show written for 18-25 year olds.  Also, that "Marvel" "smart mouth" where everyone has something "witty" to say after a close-call or something cool happens far too often (Kratos excluded, he doesn't do this).

- Atreus play sections.  After the second time, he's quite boring and there are about 6 times you play as him. 

- Jotunheim - wow, the pacing is painfully slow, the pay off is tiny and it's forced on you.  I would kick that Yak's ass if I could.  Again, boring dialogue between the characters.

- Big snake is only in it for like a minute or so, tops?!! Jormungandr is one of the coolest things about 2018... I was really disappointed we didn't see anything other than a "really far off distance, blue spec Thor bop him on the nose and he disappears" when the mythology about their Epic battle was enough to send him back in time.. it was just so "is that it?!"

- Freya ended the last game swearing vengeance on you, spend all of 2 minutes in this one trying to hurt you, then spends the rest of the game helping you out.. pretty forgetful (or just overly dramatic?!) 

what I DID like:

- Kratos is just a cool character.  His growth through the two games is really good.  The mechanics for him feel weighty and powerful, I love everything about him

- Some of the cut scenes were really good and the over-arching story is good - it's just filtered down by the sass I mentioned above. 

- I enjoyed the game as a whole, despite my moaning, I'll go back and get the platinum (nearly done already to be honest), which will make this and GoW 2018 my only platinums - worthy! 

- Thor.  I liked Thor.  I thought his story was good, I thought he was acted really well and he seemed like a decent match for Kratos.  His hammer and stuff were great. 

- Sindri - I didn't like the dwarves too much in the first one, but he's a star in this one.  

- Garm fight

- Nidhoff fight

- Heimdall fight

- Really good set pieces. 

Overall, after a 10/10 for the 2018 game, I'm giving this a 7.5 sadly :( 

Please give me more Kratos mr developer sir. 

I'm surprised by this verdict (now that I've finally dared to open the spoiler tag)

Apart from agreeing with the pacing in places and slightly agree about some of the new characters, I disagree with most of it.

It's basically the first game, but better (imo). And the payoff from the pacing is worth it. The story is incredible

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm surprised by this verdict (now that I've finally dared to open the spoiler tag)

Apart from agreeing with the pacing in places and slightly agree about some of the new characters, I disagree with most of it.

It's basically the first game, but better (imo). And the payoff from the pacing is worth it. The story is incredible

I've just re-read it and sadly I still think I agree with my assessment of it.

2018 GoW, I couldn't wait to play it again after a couple of months.

I've still not platted this because I just can't be bothered with the dull (forced) bits.  

The GAMEPLAY is great, it's more of 2018, with extra's - I love that, but the game world on some puzzles/finding things is a bit too big and aimless, which can get frustrating when you just want to collect something for the trophies.

I'll have to give it another go and concentrate on the story, I loved Skoll and Hati pieces, anything with Kratos is great. 

The war on Asguard should DEFINITELY been bigger and better.  I was so gutted about Jormungandr being a background prop, fighting an "on the loop" blue dot, meant to be representing Thor - I STILL feel short changed about that.  The devs should have done something much better, like they did in the first game.  It's criminally rushed.  Which I suppose shows how much I wanted more.  

And again, anything that isn't really centred around Kratos can be "Marvel Sassy", which is just irritating in a mythical world with Gods and Giants.  I'd like a game to have humour, but the humour from Batman in the 60s, post-fight "humphing at the chump" type gag.  It's tiresome.  The first game was better for this.  There's too much 2022 vernacular in it. 

Anyhow, I noticed you were playing it and it did give me the itch, but for now I'd rather play Theme Hospital or whatever it's called :lol: 

On 29/11/2022 at 17:42, Chindie said:

I will say it's got a few bugs though. The final... 'mission' I found would break if you came at it from the wrong direction (literally), and I had a couple of times where I needed to reset a checkpoint to get through a section as something would go wrong - examples including in Vanaheim Atreus got stuck at the bottom of a chain meaning a combat section requiring arrows in the very next area was impossible, and another case of the game just breaking when everything a story scene (the same area that broke the final mission, actually).

Sorry for the old post, but I did find this as well. Mainly in Musphelheim and the jungle. Had an incident where Atreus squeezed through a gap in the wall even though I hadn't uncovered the gap yet (it was covered in that fine you have to burn off). He was then stuck on the other side so I couldn't use his arrows to set it on fire.

Another where Kratos fell through the earth forever, another where Atreus wouldn't do anything in one of the challenges in Muspelheim. He just stood there.

And the most annoying one, when I got to 93 enemies killed in the endurance challenge (you need to survive 99) and the next enemies just never appeared. There's no way to get out or force them to appear (that I could see) so I had to restart from the last checkpoint. I was particularly annoyed about that one.

• Like 1

My biggest criticism is that, without giving spoilers, the last boss fight was a bit too easy. But I think this was probably because I'd spent so long doing all the side quests before I finished the story that I was probably more geared up than they intended for someone doing the final boss. 

That whole ending sequence was **** epic though. I loved every second of it once

Spoiler

you emerge next to the wall in Asgard and the war has begun

I think I’ve nearly finished Ragnarok and it has been one of the best games I’ve played in years.

I’ve been playing for nearly 40 hours and I thought it would have been finished in half that time.

Obviously this is just a first playthrough but I’ve not felt lost and wasting time at any point.

Still got a few Berserkers left and a couple of side quests, but really not wanting the main story to end.

So good.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Â