New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Consistency, in the positive sense is defined by results. You can be consistently shit but I'd assume no one would want that for the sake of consistency. 

I find it contentious when people talk about consistency, we finished 4th in a 24 team division, we won more than 50% of matches and more than twice the amount of games we lost. 

Sure, we were not as consistent as the 3 teams that finished above us, but to say we weren't consistent at all is a stretch. 

I've yet to see any team play well and win every single game, even the best have off days and lose matches. 

Every team has a bad run during the season. Even Wolves Cardiff and Fulham did at some point.

Our problem was we had 3 of them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Consistency, in the positive sense is defined by results. You can be consistently shit but I'd assume no one would want that for the sake of consistency. 

I find it contentious when people talk about consistency, we finished 4th in a 24 team division, we won more than 50% of matches and more than twice the amount of games we lost. 

Sure, we were not as consistent as the 3 teams that finished above us, but to say we weren't consistent at all is a stretch. 

I've yet to see any team play well and win every single game, even the best have off days and lose matches. 

Well obviously I mean consistently good.

And it's all relative. The consistency needed to be promoted is obviously different than the consistency needed to stay up for example. As you say, we finished 4th, so clearly not consistent enough to get promoted.

Even Wolves aside, look at Cardiff last season. Apart from a blip in December they were consistently in automatic promotion form. Fulham after November were the same. We were stop and start all season just like we were the season before. We'd go on a winning run followed by a losing run and repeat. We'd thrash Wolves one day then lose to QPR  and Bolton the next week. That's not automatic promotion form I'm afraid. 

Steve Bruce relies on individual talent to see him over the line, and maybe that worked for him in the past but that's very clearly just not going to cut it anymore. He might just scrape it this season, but how is that significantly any more of a gamble than giving another manager a go with this same group of players?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't wish to be rude, but is there anyway at all we can keep the Bruce for and against to his own thread as opposed to it being here? It's a busier and angry enough thread alone without it being here too, This if i'm right is to discuss the merits (or not) of other managers that may or may not become manager. The Bruce in or out debate is boring enough without it being here too. 

Just now, TheEgo said:

I don't wish to be rude, but is there anyway at all we can keep the Bruce for and against to his own thread as opposed to it being here? It's a busier and angry enough thread alone without it being here too, This if i'm right is to discuss the merits (or not) of other managers that may or may not become manager. The Bruce in or out debate is boring enough without it being here too. 

I’m with you 100% there but I fear this is a forlorn hope - based on the evidence of Villatalk postings over the past two years. It pops up everywhere! I’m pretty sure the argument had even spilled over into the thread on the state of the pitch a few times.

I‘ve reached the point where I would almost like Bruce to be sacked just to bring an end to this constant whinging about how he has “failed”.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Hahaha, okay good luck with that. 

• Like 1

They may well have already spoken to Henry, and they're supposedly meeting Bruce on Wednesday. 

I fear there could be a communications problem, as one of them only speaks English with an impenetrable accent. And the other is Thierry Henry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ok MBappe to play alongside Messi and Pogba in midfield to help Jack out. But that’s it for now, we need to build in a measured and sustainable way. 

You need to calm down TRO, getting all over excited at your age......?

I'm just excited we can pay the gas bills.

been down the battle cruiser and the noses are ready to pour scorn on our bit of fortune......could help winding them up, despite by nature me not being a wind up merchant.

trouble is, you can be all philosophical and low profile, talking about how we nearly went in to administration and a slow rebuild .....but when 2 billionaires come in......they walk off thinking you are taking the piss anyway.

you can't win.

**** me they are vexed.

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I think your missing the most important fact of all.

He's not Steve Bruce.

you said it......and you're right.

its even as bad as not liking Donald Trump or as daft.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I've yet to see any team play well and win every single game, even the best have off days and lose matches

You just wait for next season under Thierry Henry! Did it as a player, well didn’t lose anyway, so it’s second nature to him. :)

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm just excited we can pay the gas bills.

been down the battle cruiser and the noses are ready to pour scorn on our bit of fortune......could help winding them up, despite by nature me not being a wind up merchant.

trouble is, you can be all philosophical and low profile, talking about how we nearly went in to administration and a slow rebuild .....but when 2 billionaires come in......they walk off thinking you are taking the piss anyway.

you can't win.

**** me they are vexed.

Are you trying to tell me that our friends from Small Heath aren’t happy that their near neighbours have had a stroke of good fortune? Surely they must realise that it’s just money and you can’t buy class, they’ve never had it and we invented it. 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't know if this is serious or not but I know for sure that there are many people here who literally look at it this way.

Like if tomorrow, we announced that Kevin Keegan was Manager, people would still be happy 'because it's not SB'.

I don't get it, and I know I'm in the minority but I just don't get it.

We came up short last season, that's beyond doubt and argument, but I enjoyed last season and, for the most part I enjoyed watching us play, I enjoyed winning regularly for the first time in a long time, I enjoyed VP becoming something of a fortress, I enjoyed watching a togetherness and camaraderie that's been sorely lacking for years, I enjoyed watching Grealish mature into something like the player we all thought he would be, I enjoyed watching people like Terry and Snodgrass come and ingrain themselves into the club (despite both knowing it would be a short term relationship), I enjoyed the renewed sense of optimism throughout the club.

I don't attribute all of that solely to SB but surely it's not in doubt that he played a large part in all of that?

Again, I know I'm in the minority but I don't see why we can't get promoted this season under SB, one or two shrewd signings and the emergence of one or two of the youngsters (who last season, everyone was calling for) and we could have as strong a squad on paper as last season.

you may be in the minority on VT......But at Villa Park you are not.

I sometimes quote the odd stuff on here in the ground, you would think its a different set of supporters.

where i sit everyone supports Steve Bruce......albeit I don't sit next to everyone.....but I listen to the crowd.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

you may be in the minority on VT......But at Villa Park you are not.

I sometimes quote the odd stuff on here in the ground, you would think its a different set of supporters.

where i sit everyone supports Steve Bruce......albeit I don't sit next to everyone.....but I listen to the crowd.

We've turned it around a lot under SB ....I think people forget how bad we were. We weren't just poor, we were abysmal.

Takes a lot to turn that into a positive , I reckon we would have done a Sunderland if he hadn't been in charge. 

Third times the charm , we got our top scorer back -  we did well without JG half of last season ..we can do it again if need be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well, it’s a Tuesday. 

Can’t say much more than that at the moment.  :detect:

Typical ITK, giving us half the story and then saying you’re not able to reveal your source. 

If we do ending up hiring a new manager, I'd like to the throw my hat in the ring.

In my latest FM save, I have got Villa into the Europa league in my 4th season and along the way I've made the club over 40 million buying and selling players!

I'm not paying my own air fares if they want an interview though.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1