New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

David platt, jimmy hasselbaink, paul merson, ole gunnar solskjaer all failed at this level for a start

So you think he needs to work his way up to a big job? I can appreciate that.  

The thing that appeals to me would be his reputation in the game. A lot of players would want to play for him such is his status.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing that appeals to me would be his reputation in the game. A lot of players would want to play for him such is his status.

His connections too would be helpful I guess, we could attract a lot of young French/Belgian players, and atm also couple of Arsenal Loans I’d say.

It would give us more attention too, but all of that wont be the target if he is not going with us up.

When you think of our defnce build up last season you’d that say Bruce is a good choice, but in terms of attacking and finding solutions, you’d get disappointed again.

Some people say they would like Henry as a second man, but coming from Belgium to Championship is hardly an upgrade.

The main concern with someone like Henry is that he is used to being around very good players. Both as a player and in his coaching role with Belgium.

Will he be able to get a tune out of players with much less ability than he had and those he has played with/coached. Who knows and he would be a risk but that isn't to say it wouldn't work and you'd imagine an immediate benefit is that he would be able to attract some very good young players in on loan.

If this has legs I'd think we will know very soon.

• Like 4

The club needs to move in a totally new direction and it won't happen with Bruce.

Henry might be a gamble but this season will still be about rebuild rather than promotion even with new owners. Much rather have Henry than Bruce handling this.

If we assume the new owners are not morons (fingers crossed) then I assume they have a plan, and have been scouting potential managers, be it Henry or someone else.

As for Henry I doubt he'd jump on the first opportunity presented to him as he is a big and respected name in the game. And unlike say Maradona or Adams he won't have to take every shady job offered to him.

If Henry was willing to come here I imagine he's been presented with a plan and assurances that is tempting to him. Doubt just a big bag of money would be enough.

Probably won't end up being Henry but if it is it would be and exciting choice, albeit a bit of a gamble.

If he could also bring in some people from Clairefontaine that would be brilliant!

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Go get Jürgen Klinsmann. Don't know why but every time talk of a new manager comes around he's always top of my wish list. Failing that (and if we've got a shed load of cash) let's puff out our chest like some greased up cougar from the planet big bollocks, make a statement of intention and go get Wenger. Wishful thinking I know but it's nice to dream again !! What a difference 24hrs can make. People were talking about Mick McCarthy this time last week. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

The club needs to move in a totally new direction and it won't happen with Bruce.

Henry might be a gamble but this season will still be about rebuild rather than promotion even with new owners. Much rather have Henry than Bruce handling this.

If we assume the new owners are not morons (fingers crossed) then I assume they have a plan, and have been scouting potential managers, be it Henry or someone else.

As for Henry I doubt he'd jump on the first opportunity presented to him as he is a big and respected name in the game. And unlike say Maradona or Adams he won't have to take every shady job offered to him.

If Henry was willing to come here I imagine he's been presented with a plan and assurances that is tempting to him. Doubt just a big bag of money would be enough.

Probably won't end up being Henry but if it is it would be and exciting choice, albeit a bit of a gamble.

But is we keep our best players we will still have one of the best squads in the league, so its not the other way round when we were in the Premier League, he could help us play an attacking game.

We have our DeBruyne and Lukaku, but we are missing our Hazard. ?

No cheating french t@@t for me thanks

Stinks of new owners need a big name to generate interest...another Dimatteo in the making imo

Won’t work at Villa

Get a real manager who loves the Villa...Dean Smith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The main concern with someone like Henry is that he is used to being around very good players. Both as a player and in his coaching role with Belgium.

Will he be able to get a tune out of players with much less ability than he had and those he has played with/coached. Who knows and he would be a risk but that isn't to say it wouldn't work and you'd imagine an immediate benefit is that he would be able to attract some very good young players in on loan.

If this has legs I'd think we will know very soon.

He was striker coach at Belgium and Lukaku had poor world cup only scoring vs minnows

Less said about Batshuayi

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Great players rarely make great coaches. Clarence Seedorf just relegated from La Liga. People said he would make a great coach

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He was striker coach at Belgium and Lukaku had poor world cup only scoring vs minnows

Less said about Batshuayi

Lukaku also hailed him as the best mentor he's ever had.

4 minutes ago, Vincenzo said:

No cheating french t@@t for me thanks

Stinks of new owners need a big name to generate interest...another Dimatteo in the making imo

Won’t work at Villa

Get a real manager who loves the Villa...Dean Smith

Not sure Henry is a ‘big name’ in management, it would be his first proper appointment and would represent a huge gamble. I don’t think he is right for us, as in management terms he’s inexperienced and has no experience at this level whatsoever even as a player.

If we have some money now, I would go for a good manager with a proven track record. Tbh though, I would stick with SB.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Great players rarely make great coaches. Clarence Seedorf just relegated from La Liga. People said he would make a great coach

Deschamps just won the WC and Zidane has 3 straight CL titles so it goes both ways but some from those French generations and from Clairefontaine seem to have picked up a clue or 2

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Deschamps just won the WC and Zidane has 3 straight CL titles so it goes both ways but some from those French generations and from Clairefontaine seem to have picked up a clue or 2

Descamps has about 15 years experience while Zidane managed B team and had an awesome squad 

We have Neil Taylor and Henri Lansbury

Just now, Zatman said:

Descamps has about 15 years experience while Zidane managed B team and had an awesome squad 

Well yeah.

But still doesn't mean great players can't be good coaches.

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Not sure Henry is a ‘big name’ in management, it would be his first proper appointment and would represent a huge gamble. I don’t think he is right for us, as in management terms he’s inexperienced and has no experience at this level whatsoever even as a player.

If we have some money now, I would go for a good manager with a proven track record. Tbh though, I would stick with SB.

He’s a big name in football, like Zola was and look how well he did...lol although I enjoyed that

Steve Bruce is a good bloke but massively underachieved last season and needs to be replaced

It’s not suprising that a fair few great players become great coaches, they have so many more opportunities afforded to them. Lampard just got the Derby job off no management experience. But the prem has been dominated in the past by managers who were not top players: Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho. It’s time to realise the quality of a player has very little bearing on the their quality as a manager.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That would kind of be the point of Henry. Someone with the links to bring in young players on Loan from France and Belgium to replace the likes of Taylor and Lansbury. 

2 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

It’s not suprising that a fair few great players become great coaches, they have so many more opportunities afforded to them. Lampard just got the Derby job off no management experience. But the prem has been dominated in the past by managers who were not top players: Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho. It’s time to realise the quality of a player has very little bearing on the their quality as a manager.

Obviously it doesn't mean good player - good coach.

But in the last few seasons Conte, Guardiola have won it so it also doesn't mean good players - bad managers.

Tbh I'm more into the ones who has taken the long road and gotten where they are by working their way up through learning the managerial trade without having doors opened for them by their name.

Well if we're going to be giving a manager their first step into management then why not King Olaf? Mellberg and his beard (which is an entity in itself) have that affinity with the club, comes with coaching badges and Martin Laursen could be his no 2. Two Villa stalwarts running the club they love (although it disturbs how close running and ruining are when typing this shizzle....)

• Haha 1