Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

Friendly advice: in the opening days of the chrisp65 benign dictatorship, we will be looking for the genesis albums and CDs.

There will then be an opportunity for some to take advantage of the musical re education facilities that will be set up outside many major towns.

• Haha 1

I couldn't tell you what the current number 1 was. I doubt I'd have heard of most of the top 40. I've never knowingly heard an Ed Sheeran song.

But I've listened to loads of new music this year and am eagerly awaiting other stuff coming - there's a new Tool album due in the next decade for pities sake!

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was able to see past my love of genesis to the point you were making.

Nursery Crimes ftw

I thought the music died in '76? was I wrong?

Recent new music and gigs by Mary Epworth, Selector Dub Narcotic, Golden Fable, Lovely Eggs, El Goodo, Alabama 3 etc suggests it is very much alive, diverse and talented. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Genuinely lost track of the amount of times I've made this point to people.

There is a shit tonne of great 'new' music. You just have to dig around a bit but it's well worth the effort.

Also, local, unsigned acts. Most people think that they have to have seen a band on television for them to be any good. In my experience there are buskers who are better than some of the successful  'name' acts around nowadays. Get down to your local music pub. 

• Like 4

There's less major new movements you put a name to these days, but a great many of the existing/older genres have current artists creating new material.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xann said:

There's less major new movements you put a name to these days, but a great many of the existing/older genres have current artists creating new material.

This what keeps me happy. I've probably given myself a reputation on here as somebody who never listens to anything recorded after 1975, and spends his time endlessly replaying clichéd old classic rock. Not so. The problem is that I don't really like any of the new genres that came into being post-75. But the still massive range of old genres didn't stop (although record industry and music press tunnel vision dealt them a hard blow). Old acts ploughed on with their careers - although it took some of them a while to get back to their best  - and, more importantly, some younger musicians carried on the traditions. If I want to hear folk, country, blues, prog rock, jazz, or pretty much anything really, it's all out there. It may be small label (or even unrecorded) stuff. It may be in the back room of a pub, but it's there. 

• Like 2

I was wrong (nothing new)

it was 1959 apparently.

Quite how I've always thought that song could be referencing things that happened 5 years after its release is a thought process only known to the inner workings of my brain.  :D

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Also, local, unsigned acts. Most people think that they have to have seen a band on television for them to be any good. In my experience there are buskers who are better than some of the successful  'name' acts around nowadays. Get down to your local music pub. 

With all the big ticketing firms artificially manipulating demand (and subsequently price), it's the best way to see live music these days. Unsigned and open-mic nights are the way forward if the alternative is to pay legalised scalpers for tickets.

Edited by choffer
  • Thanks 1

Music scene is crazy
Bands start up each and every day
I saw another one just the other day
A special new band
I remember lying
I don't remember a line
I don't remember a word
But I don't care, I care, I really don't care
Did you see the drummer's hair?

Advertising looks and chops a must
No big hair!
Songs mean a lot when songs are bought
And so are you

Pavement

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Why would you want your bread to be stale more quickly?

Cold temperature, removes moisture

In that there abroad it makes much sense. It goes mouldy less quickly when stored in the fridge. Same applies in the UK in non Winter, or even homes where the heating works well. 

More concise version of my above post: 

1. New acts playing new style music almost always do nothing for me

2. New acts playing old style music are sometimes brilliant 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The problem is that I don't really like any of the new genres that came into being post-75. But the still massive range of old genres didn't stop .... If I want to hear folk, country, blues, prog rock, jazz, or pretty much anything really, it's all out there. It may be small label (or even unrecorded) stuff. It may be in the back room of a pub, but it's there. 

There are only two music genres. Music I like and music that I don't like.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

There are only two music genres. Music I like and music that I don't like.

Sure, and I would agree. But my reactions to virtually all new musical developments, movents, whatever, since punk, has been a some variant on: 

1. I sort of want to like this, but try as I might, I just don't

2. This is OK, but it's just a dilution/pale copy/bastardisation of something that's already been done much better

3. This is awful, unlistenable shite 

It doesn't matter, there's more than enough stuff that I do like, that I'm still discovering from the past (e.g. 50s jazz). 

The current 'extreme doom red weather' has reminded me.

Living in a house where the heating was provided by waking up in the morning and scrunching newspaper under some sticks and lighting a fire and waiting for some heat to be generated in a single room. Then deciding mid evening who was nominated to leave that room and go boil a kettle etc..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Sure, and I would agree. But my reactions to virtually all new musical developments, movents, whatever, since punk, has been a some variant on: 

1. I sort of want to like this, but try as I might, I just don't

2. This is OK, but it's just a dilution/pale copy/bastardisation of something that's already been done much better

3. This is awful, unlistenable shite 

It doesn't matter, there's more than enough stuff that I do like, that I'm still discovering from the past (e.g. 50s jazz). 

I know , you've said that in various forms before, and it's fair. I'm sort of the opposite in a way, in that my starting position is kind of " I know what I've got that I like, but I'm a bit bored at the moment listening to that, so I want to find something new to captivate me for a while, at least, and if I find something I might end up really getting into it, and adding it to the collection....then from time to time, I think, I want my comfort blanket of stuff I already know and own....and then go back to the start and repeat...

So a variation on something that's already been done before, I see as welcome/interesting. The first category of yours just doesn't apply to me, really, not the second (mostly) and the third, yeah, sure, loads of that.

• Thanks 1

Â