"I Hate Their Guts"

NurembergVillan

Back stabbing work colleagues that turn the work place into a Game of Thronesesque minefield.

I am all for having their arms and legs broken and dropped off in the middle of the ocean.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AJ said:

Back stabbing work colleagues that turn the work place into a Game of Thronesesque minefield.

I am all for having their arms and legs broken and dropped off in the middle of the ocean.

Yes, one at my place is a snidey snivelling grassing hobbit lookalike piece of filth. Been off sick - again - for two weeks. Hope it's nothing trivial, the word removed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Same as the first Stone Roses album - utterly derivative Byrds ripoff. Without the decency to acknowledge it. Saw Johnny Marr on some TV programme about guitarists, explaining his 'unique' sound - jangly arpeggios played on a Rickenbacker 360-12, through a compressor pedal and a Fender Twin. He said all this with a straight face, without once mentioning the name "Roger McGuinn". I lost all respect for the Manc clearing in the woods after that. 

You must have ears of cloth if you honestly think that.  Deary me.

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

You must have ears of cloth if you honestly think that.  Deary me.

I don't think it, I know it. First time I heard them, I thought "clearing in the woods singer, good Byrdsy backing band", and I fully expected Marr to talk about what a huge McGuinn fan he was. But no. You don't stumble on that exact setup and style by coincidence. 

At least the other Manc clearings in the woods Oasis had the decency to admit they were copying The Beatles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

To be fair I very much dislike Stone Roses. I wasn’t born while The Smiths were a band, but there’s something about the sound, lyrics, delivery and melody that resonates with me. Even if it is a rip off I don’t think I’d enjoy the ‘source material’ as much.

You're possibly right. We tend to like the sounds we grew up with. Athough in my experience, working backwards is easier than working forwards. I can enjoy to the dominant styles of popular music from every decade, back to the early 20th Century (and beyond, with classical). But from the mid 70s onwards, I find the new developments increasingly unpleasant. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't think it, I know it. First time I heard them, I thought "clearing in the woods singer, good Byrdsy backing band", and I fully expected Marr to talk about what a huge McGuinn fan he was. But no. You don't stumble on that exact setup and style by coincidence. 

At least the other Manc clearings in the woods Oasis had the decency to admit they were copying The Beatles. 

I think you need to illustrate your argument with some examples.  Just having the same 12 string guitar is by no means a valid argument for them sounding anything like The Byrds.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You're possibly right. We tend to like the sounds we grew up with. Athough in my experience, working backwards is easier than working forwards. I can enjoy to the dominant styles of popular music from every decade, back to the early 20th Century (and beyond, with classical). But from the mid 70s onwards, I find the new developments increasingly unpleasant. 

that’s true, i’m definitely old enough now, touching 30, to have started to hear what the kids are listening to and be absolutely disgusted. I love a lot of music from the 60s through to the early 90s. The mid to late 90s is by far my least favourite era.

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thinking about it, I'll extend my hatred of The Smiths to the whole of Manchester. Their football teams, their attempts to brand themselves the second city, the lot. 

Nuke it. 

I like the city, it's just the people.

But yeah, in order to nuke them, nuke it.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My kids listen to Hendrix, Beatles, Johnny Cash, Dylan, Lou Reed, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys...thankfully little or nothing from that long dead period in between.

Â