The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not though

At the moment in the PL they stop the game, stick "checking hand ball" on the big screen and then everyone stands still until the VAR gives a penalty or says no penalty

That's not how fifa do it

They don’t stop the game to do that. They wait till it has stopped. But I didn’t mean “in every aspect it’s identical” I meant “that’s pretty similar to…”

Penalty claim, ball rolls out for a corner. Ref says “couldn’t see that properly so I haven’t made a decision either way, I need a replay.” Pulls tablet out of back pocket, looks at replay, 20 seconds decision made. “Yes clearly kane dived, therefore I’m giving a penalty.” Easy.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Penalty claim, ball rolls out for a corner. Ref says “couldn’t see that properly so I haven’t made a decision either way, I need a replay.” Pulls tablet out of back pocket, looks at replay, 20 seconds decision made. “Yes clearly kane dived, therefore I’m giving a penalty.” Easy.

By “pulls tablet out of back pocket” I assume you mean “pulls iPad from between his arse cheeks”?

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

By “pulls tablet out of back pocket” I assume you mean “pulls iPad from between his arse cheeks”?

Could easily have a holster for an iPad on the lower back etc. anyway it’s semantics, take what I said but ref goes to the screen. Only difference is a minute to jog there and back.

• Like 1

I think the VARs should just keep their beaks out of decisions like that. 

Ref should just give it, then trot over to the screen with no other instructions, and just give himself time to check. He should also be the one asking for it to be sped up/slowed down/different angle etc.

Keep a third person out of the decision making process - it just casts doubt. 

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Amazes me that it looks for obvious ref errors and they can look that long and still overturn. Glad they didn’t but was worried they would. 

There's your problem right there... "clear and obvious" is pure spiel designed to create grey areas for them to use as an excuse

Ref was looking at that penalty decision for us today for 2-3 minutes. Now to me 'clesr and obvious' means if you see it once at full speed, you'll see the error. It's absolute bullshit. And it's just happened again for the Newcastle handball. It was a harsh handball, but it's hit his hand, so how is it a clear and obvious error? It's a subjective decision. We're back to where we were at the start of this farce, of VAR trying to referee matches again. If we're gonna do that, let's just **** the bloke in the middle off and be honest about it. Absolute joke, ruining the game. 

Edited by blunther
  • Like 3

By very definition it's not possible to spend more than 30 seconds reviewing replays to spot a clear and obvious error. 

As soon as its gone beyond a couple of angles of slow mo replays if you can't call then the onfiield decision has to stand. 

Once the ref had been standing staring at the monitor for 2 solid minutes there could really only be one outcome. For anything else it has to be corruption or they're ignoring their own protocol. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

The ref for the penalty repeatedly said to VAR 'he got the player first then the ball' VAR must have been trying to rule that penalty off , the ref was arguing with the VAR officials. Not sure who was on VAR but the player clearly got Ollie before the ball was played by the defender (after ollie had touched the ball), it's a stonewall penalty.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tinker said:

MOTD presenters ignoring the fact ollie was taken out first, they have slow motion use it and back the refs when they make a good decision, despite VAR.

This is exactly how I saw it. Not even sure why it went to a check or why it took so long. He plays the player before he plays the ball, it’s a penalty!

• Like 4

FWIW, I think it’s a soft penalty. I’m not entirely sure he takes Watkins out, it’s more that Watkins can’t reach the ball… which is played slightly late.

As I said elsewhere, it’s a 50/50 penalty. We’d not be happy if that was given against us in the 95th minute. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, I think it’s a soft penalty. I’m not entirely sure he takes Watkins out, it’s more that Watkins can’t reach the ball… which is played slightly late.

As I said elsewhere, it’s a 50/50 penalty. We’d not be happy if that was given against us in the 95th minute. 

Ollie gets to the ball and touches it,  the Palace player then lunges in doesn't touch the ball (on the video replays I have seen) wipes Ollie out then touches the ball away. How is it not a penalty,  which bit don't you agree with, do you think the Palace player gets the ball before he fells Ollie and if he does , which he doesn't, is the contact enough to take the ball away from Ollie before he clatters him? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

Ollie gets to the ball and touches it,  the Palace player then lunges in doesn't touch the ball (on the video replays I have seen) wipes Ollie out then touches the ball away. How is it not a penalty,  which bit don't you agree with, do you think the Palace player gets the ball before he fells Ollie and if he does , which he doesn't, is the contact enough to take the ball away from Ollie before he clatters him? 

I don’t think he clatters Watkins particularly, and I think the contact between Watkins and the defender happens at the same time that he plays the ball.

I’ve tried to screenshot it to show. Here’s the initial challenge (no contact on anything; well, ever so slight on the ball):

7B8FDDEF-5BB0-478D-8848-CA60D6745AE5.thumb.jpeg.ccfda04d38a4cf62286431985795117a.jpeg

And then (whilst BBC were focussing on the slight touch on the ball), you can see there’s no contact still when the defender is on the deck until as he plays the ball
(next post for size purposes…!)

Â