The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I don’t have an issue with the line as such, I have an issue of the frame they used to draw the lines. 

they moved it during the check, and a white blur where the ball is played isn’t enough to determine which frame should be used 

my biggest issue with it is that they use it primarily to rule out goals rather than positively to make goals happen. It always feels like they’re looking for a reason to rule out rather than a reason to give. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that image is clear enough, despite the blurriness. Hopefully we get a higher quality image to clear it up

The blurriness is more of an issue with the still frame used to draw the lines. 

Which white blur for the ball is to be used? 

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don’t have an issue with the line as such, I have an issue of the frame they used to draw the lines. 

they moved it during the check, and a white blur where the ball is played isn’t enough to determine which frame should be used 

my biggest issue with it is that they use it primarily to rule out goals rather than positively to make goals happen. It always feels like they’re looking for a reason to rule out rather than a reason to give. 

My biggest issue is that they’re even drawing lines in the first place. Pre VAR we’d have got one replay of that goal, a comment saying “looked level” and we’d have moved on.

Today we got to look at Geordie morons crossing their fingers and praying as some bloke in a van drew some arbitrary lines and then jumping around in celebration as yet another goal that would previously stood got chalked out. This terribly exciting process also seemed to take a good 3 or 4 minutes.

Is this supposed to be adding to football as these line drawing decisions in particular are making me struggle to watch the game.

If you’d told me 5 years ago that I’d be watching people celebrating lines being drawn on a screen I’d have questioned what it was that I was watching as it certainly wouldn’t have sounded like football to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Surely no football fans want this rediculous process of the lines, either for or against them?

Nope, thats why the automation will be good and it will look like this apparently

being trialed soon i think

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Nope, thats why the automation will be good and it will look like this apparently

Yep been saying this myself for a while. Works like in video games. Instant decisions. 

Best of both worlds. Accuracy but without the delay

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

That's a brilliant system, proves just by that demo, most abject offsides via the lines are not actually offside.

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

The thing that's most irritating is this whole "taking 4 minutes to chalk off a goal" thing. That's not what it's supposed to be for. It's being used to manipulate the outcome of games.

Even the free kick they scored from that he gave as a penalty took about 2 minutes when it was clear that it was outside the box. Its an absolute joke

Stockley Park must be paid by the minute

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

In fairness he must have the record for the most VAR disallowed goals in the league

Would make you not want to celebrate wouldn’t it, specially if one of your best attributes is running in behind the defence… might be why we see him not doing that so much this season.

On the dotted line drawn from the heel, it only places the solid blue line where it assumed it is in 3d space. That dotted line could be as long or as short as it needed to be to place the solid line wherever they wanted. It’s not necessarily correct to just assume that line is drawn accurately.

Now I don’t know if the VAR system uses another camera from behind the goal to calculate the height of the foot and position on the X axis (assuming offside is on the Y). From what I remember when they demo’s the system, it wasn’t what they did. It was an assumption made on perspective from the referee.

If you halved the length of the dotted line drawn assuming Burns foot is slightly further left relatively to newcastles defensive line than assumed in the image - which I think is the case - then it becomes a hell of a lot closer to level.

Edited by a m ole

The thing I don't understand is why the default TV camera angle is the one used when showing offsides.  They have cameras absolutely **** everywhere in a ground - they can zoom in and out and flip things round when reviewing whether a ball has crossed the line... why isn't that sort of camera used to show the offside decisions?

It's all a bit baffling.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 3

Â