Steve Agnew

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m glad Agnew is seemingly working well with the team, I doubt all our recent success is down to him, but I’m glad all the same. I think it’s hard to know exactly what each member of the coaching staff does, but it seems Agnew has been working with Scott Hogan a lot and that seems to have paid dividends so all is good.

If we go two games without scoring then we’ll just blame someone else :) 

In his interview wyness said we have always been a coach light. Steve now completes the team. Calderwood is the defensive coach, Agnew is the attacking coach and Clement is what he called the dressing room coach. Fair to say it looks like it's making things click into place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

In his interview wyness said we have always been a coach light. Steve now completes the team. Calderwood is the defensive coach, Agnew is the attacking coach and Clement is what he called the dressing room coach. Fair to say it looks like it's making things click into place.

Kinda shocking that the club let it take almost a season and a half to get an attacking coach in.

(No this not a dig at Bruce)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Kinda shocking that the club let it take almost a season and a half to get an attacking coach in.

(No this not a dig at Bruce)

From what I can make out they always wanted him from the beginning but had to wait due to his contract with borough. 

The difference is massive. Glad he is here now for the run in. 

15 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

From what I can make out they always wanted him from the beginning but had to wait due to his contract with borough. 

The difference is massive. Glad he is here now for the run in. 

I do recall Bruce saying we wanted another coach but coundn’t get him in. During the summer, I think.

• Like 3

I think getting the right coaching team together makes a massive difference. When John Gregory left Brian Little’s coaching team we never really looked the same again. Reme Garde didn’t get his chosen coaches, ok there were plenty of other things hampering him, but that could have been a major factor. 

The difference in results and performances between December and January would seem to suggest that the last piece in the coaching jigsaw is having a huge effect. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Never seen Pilkington and Agnew in the same room together, jus sayin’.

Head's not round enough.

Looks like he was a good appointment, as it seems there's something changed at bodymoor since he got here. Would seem to confirm that Bruce is more of an office manager than a training ground manager.

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Head's not round enough.

Looks like he was a good appointment, as it seems there's something changed at bodymoor since he got here. Would seem to confirm that Bruce is more of an office manager than a training ground manager.

True. I think that’s increasingly commonplace now. It always stuck with me when you see pictures of Tony at Bodymoor that Bruce is on the sidelines not leading sessions.

Agnew has a decent reputation as a coach, and seems to be paying dividends for us. Good stuff

39 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

True. I think that’s increasingly commonplace now. It always stuck with me when you see pictures of Tony at Bodymoor that Bruce is on the sidelines not leading sessions.

Agnew has a decent reputation as a coach, and seems to be paying dividends for us. Good stuff

It's not a criticism, if that's how he works then fair enough. The term "manager" in uk seems to have a large spectrum of responsibilities, from a pretty much director of football type who has virtually nothing to do with training but builds a squad, deals with transfers, scouting, setting a direction for his coaches at the different levels etc. etc. all the way through to a tracksuit manager who is directly running the training sessions and has close contact with his players all day every day.

They are all jobs that need doing in a club, Bruce deserves the credit for knowing that Agnew (from their past work together) was the right man to work with this group to get them playing how Bruce might have wanted but didn't have the coaching set up to attain. If that is the case then Agnew deserves credit for the massive improvement of how we've been playing with the ball a few times recently. We've been shit with it too and still won, but you know, then longest journey starts with the smallest step and all that.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2018 at 20:42, Xela said:

LOL at some of the comments on page 1 of this thread a month back. 

Thankfully they turned positive from 22nd December at the bottom of page 2  :thumb:

Would you agree Xela that his arrival and input has worked wonders for us so far.

Pure coincidence that Boro' have started to look good AND Adama scored his first goal just as Agnew left them?

He's absolutely appalling.

But on the flip side, you can tell just how much of a positive influence he's already had on our team, so I think he's great. 

• Haha 2

Â