Steve Agnew

Demitri_C

He is my new hero, I don't know what his exact methods are and have no real insight into what he does but I can honestly say he is brilliant.

Saying that, if we go 2 games without scoring, the same amount of knowledge applies but I will be screaming for his head.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He is my new hero, I don't know what his exact methods are and have no real insight into what he does but I can honestly say he is brilliant.

Saying that, if we go 2 games without scoring, the same amount of knowledge applies but I will be screaming for his head.

Careful, its slippery.

As Hogan trudged off the field following the warm up to take his place on the bench against the Blades, Agnew put his arm around him and chatted for five minutes.

I noticed this at the time, how much did Hogan need that arm around the shoulder. As he walked off he looked like seriously crestfallen, I thought something serious had happened.

• Like 1

I’m glad Agnew is seemingly working well with the team, I doubt all our recent success is down to him, but I’m glad all the same. I think it’s hard to know exactly what each member of the coaching staff does, but it seems Agnew has been working with Scott Hogan a lot and that seems to have paid dividends so all is good.

If we go two games without scoring then we’ll just blame someone else :) 

Edited by alreadyexists

We've scored 10 goals in the 3 home games since Agnew has been here. Whatever he is doing on the attacking front its working. We've always had problems breaking down teams at home.

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m glad Agnew is seemingly working well with the team, I doubt all our recent success is down to him, but I’m glad all the same. I think it’s hard to know exactly what each member of the coaching staff does, but it seems Agnew has been working with Scott Hogan a lot and that seems to have paid dividends so all is good.

If we go two games without scoring then we’ll just blame someone else :) 

I don't think it was just a case of having some one on one time with our strikers. I think it was the balance of our whole attacking play, from midfielders, to wingers, to forwards. We are so much more balanced now and cohesive. We peel off men, we make runs when we have the ball. We consistently get the ball to better areas and our wide men in dangerous zones a lot more. Allowing us to deliver the ball into the box. We just work the ball so much better all around the opposition half.

Today early on we were whipping some beauties into the area in open play and I said it was just a matter of time.

Saying that, having a player like Jack back has been integral and without him I don't think we would have been half as successful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

I don't think it was just a case of having some one on one time with our strikers. I think it was the balance of our whole attacking play, from midfielders, to wingers, to forwards. We are so much more balanced now and cohesive. We peel off men, we make runs when we have the ball. We consistently get the ball to better areas and our wide men in dangerous zones a lot more. Allowing us to deliver the ball into the box. We just work the ball so much better all around the opposition half.

Today early on we were whipping some beauties into the area in open play and I said it was just a matter of time.

Saying that, having a player like Jack back has been integral and without him I don't think we would have been half as successful.

Totally agree.

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Whatever he is doing on the attacking front its working.

BIll Shankly said football is easy - pass it to someone on your team, and put yourself in a position to receive a pass.

Previously we've been hoofing it, or passing it and running around expecting the player to perform miracles with the ball to pass it.

I've noticed us playing the little triangles like Arsenal. Players are passing the ball and then moving into a position to receive a pass. No more 'kick this, then it's not my problem.'

The energy against Barnsley for an hour was excellent - players creating triangles, supporting each other, moving as a fluid unit, everybody willing to pass the ball and receive it, looking for responsibility instead of avoiding it (lump it to Keinan and then we'll all catch up, give us ten minutes).

You could see the energy it's taking - around 70m against Barnsley, the players looked tired and their precision play became lax. It's tough, but if you can keep it going for the game (Arsenal have done so often) you become a tough team to play.

To me, it's not revolutionary. It's simple, helps you retain possession and opens up space for you and teammates. The players are seeing how good they can be when they play like this and how much fun it is to be playing winning football and getting the great Villa Park crowd excited at the football on offer.

I can't prove it's Agnew that's the catalyst, but it appears to be.

This is just how I see it, anyhow.

• Like 4

Â