Products you would like to see make a comeback

AvfcRigo82

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Revels originally had turkish delight, coconut, orange creme, toffee, peanuts, maltesers and those solid chocolate discs

Turkish delight was removed in the early 70's, coconut was replaced by coffee creme in the mid 80's and raisins have replaced peanuts fairly recently. 

They also had a strawberry creme one for a short while.

Yes i'm bored tonight! 

Turkish delight and Coconut, now that is a mixed bag!

Bring em back!

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

First one to spot it. I decided it was time to let Louis rest in peace, and bring my avatar in line with my Facebook one. 

Yea, but now it's like that thing with @Seat68 where we have to guess who the ugly bloke with the guitar is. 

Tell us who the ugly bloke with the guitar is in your picture Mooney. 

:trollface:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Twirls are still everywhere. And they're one of my favourites.

Despite the shite new Cadbury recipe?

It doesn't matter where you shop? Aldi to Fortnum & Mason, the own brand chocolate is better than Cadbury.

Hence the pound shops being stacked high with Cadbury.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xann said:

It doesn't matter where you shop? Aldi to Fortnum & Mason, the own brand chocolate is better than Cadbury.

Yep they've ruined it in the name of cost. I'd love to see the old recipe make a comeback.

56 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea, but now it's like that thing with @Seat68 where we have to guess who the ugly bloke with the guitar is. 

Tell us who the ugly bloke with the guitar is in your picture Mooney. 

:trollface:

Screenshot_20171205-100938.png

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Xann said:

You'll usually find that the chocolate in Aldi is the same as the chocolate in Fortnum and Mason. Literally exactly the same.

But yes I agree it's usually better. I was really talking in terms of well known "brands". To be honest I think the change in cadbury recipe is vastly exaggerated. There's not a huge amount of difference.

Cadbury products received as gifts will be following the Hershey products we get from friends in the US into the bin.

I'm not allowed to tell our friends across the pond that their sweets are crap and to stop bloody sending them <_<

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

Cadbury products received as gifts will be following the Hershey products we get from friends in the US into the bin.

I'm not allowed to tell our friends across the pond that their sweets are crap and to stop bloody sending them <_<

Is that out of principle or purely out of taste?

If it's taste then again I think that's a huge exaggeration. The OH and her colleagues struggled to tell the difference between old and new cadbury and they literally taste chocolate for a living.

If it's out of principle then fair enough.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Is that out of principle or purely out of taste?

If it's taste then again I think that's a huge exaggeration. The OH and her colleagues struggled to tell the difference between old and new cadbury and they literally taste chocolate for a living.

If it's out of principle then fair enough.

Both.

It tastes of cheese! Not quite as feety as Hershey, but half way there.

Professional tasters struggle to tell the difference? Really? :blink:

Or is she an all round product viability person?

23 minutes ago, Xann said:

I have an email somewhere from Cadbury's (Approx 4 or 5 years ago).

I used to eat Cadburys (something) almost everyday from the age of ZERO to 28 (Until I moved).

I know the recipe and taste changed and I asked them why,  they said it hadn't and I was wrong.  

I love chocolate and I know it changed, simple as that.  

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

Hersheys stuff does not taste like what my mouth thinks chocolate is supposed to that's for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Laudanum was the 19th Century middle class drug of choice. My missus says she wishes it would make a comeback. Opium and Brandy, what's not to like?  :twisted:

Bloody hell, your missus is an old un ain't she. I must admit, it does sound very enticing,infact it sounds delicious. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

Both.

It tastes of cheese! Not quite as feety as Hershey, but half way there.

Professional tasters struggle to tell the difference? Really? :blink:

Or is she an all round product viability person?

Yes really. She's a chocolate buyer for Aldi. Her team do everything from designing the packaging to sourcing the chocolate (via a supplier). So a part of her job is to taste chocolate. As in they've been specifically trained to do it.

I'm no expert, but the recipe in Cadbury hasn't changed much at all. and most of it is exaggerated by people angry that they were taken over by Kraft. The chocolate has remained largely unchanged in terms of taste. Introducing Palm Oil seems to be the biggest criticism, even though Cadburys chocolate has contained palm oil for decades.

It's also worth noting that the chocolate in Cadbury's products isn't all exactly the same so it would be hard to introduce a blanket "change". 

Creme Eggs are the chocolate that have changed the most. From memory that was to revert to an older recipe which consumers apparently preferred (how true that is I don't know but that was their excuse)

I'd wager that in a blind taste test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (creme egg aside). We'll never know though as I imagine you'd struggle to get your hands on old recipe cadburys chocolate, if there even is such a thing.

I personally think it tastes the same as it always has, but everyone is different. It certainly tastes nothing like Hersheys.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Creme Eggs are the chocolate that have changed the most.

They're wrong now. They were a UK delicacy.

It seems that I'm not alone in this thread at noticing the change.

Facebook is just Cadbury abuse :) Good - F*** the corporate pricks.

Tell your lady I like her Rolos ;)

I temped at Lidl's head office a long time ago. They were very hot on quality and meticulously compared their products to the competition.

Alternating betweenn Lidl/Aldi and M&S/Waitrose makes for a much more interesting fridge than sticking to Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Lidl and Aldi are goooood at Christmas treats too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

They're wrong now. They were a UK delicacy.

It seems that I'm not alone in this thread at noticing the change.

Facebook is just Cadbury abuse :) Good - F*** the corporate pricks.

Tell your lady I like her Rolos ;)

I temped at Lidl's head office a long time ago. They were very hot on quality and meticulously compared their products to the competition.

Alternating betweenn Lidl/Aldi and M&S/Waitrose makes for a much more interesting fridge than sticking to Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Lidl and Aldi are goooood at Christmas treats too.

I hate creme eggs anyway so i can't really comment :D

The comparison to the competition is their entire strategy. They shamelessly rip off (legally... most of the time) their competitors and sell it cheaper.

Like I said, the choclate you get in Aldi (and Lidl I imagine) is, a lot of the time, literally the same chocolate you get at M&S, Harrods, Fortnum and Mason etc. It's just in a different box, or it's a different shape, or it's slightly smaller. Whatever they've thought of to get round it being an exact copy :) 

Â