Tom Fox

Heretic

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I couldn't find it.  It's an article where Tom Fox talks about his time at Villa.

In August 2014, Arsenal’s chief commercial officer Tom Fox made the somewhat surprising decision to walk out of The Emirates for a job at Aston Villa. Taking up a role as the club’s chief executive, he immediately pledged to “restore the club to its rightful place in the Premier League”.

19-months later he had resigned from his £1.25m a year job, citing a change in his role after a board restructuring at Villa Park for his decision. Sources at the club however claimed his position had become “untenable”, following a disastrous £55m summer recruitment drive and open revolt from supporters, who unfurled banners on the Holte End demanding he quit.

For many, Fox was among the Villain’s chief villains. He appointed much-maligned recruitment pair Hendrik Almstadt and Paddy Riley. He presided over a summer spending spree of unsuited young European incomings, which caused Tim Sherwood to launch his toys from the pram. And he hired Remi Garde to replace Sherwood. The Frenchman won just two of 20 Premier League games.

More on link

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Get back in your box fox you knob. Inserting clauses where gueye could go for 7m, i mean how shoddy is that?

People still don't understand how clauses work.

Fox is still a word removed though.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I hate to bump this thread but I just saw that he has been the "team president" of the San Jose Earthquakes in the MLS for about a year(through the power of FM 18).. I have no clue why anyone would want to hire him (Well it is the MLS) 

Edited by Villaphan04

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Good podcast  interview with former CEO Tom Fox. Touches on his time at Villa.  At the end of the podcast he talks about Randy Lerner. I agree with Fox that owning/running a football club is a thankless endeavor - you'll only be liked until your next loss. 

This podcast is brought to you by Gatorade BerryBLASTxTreme™️

😁

Thanks by the way, very interesting and changes some of my views on the man.

Edited by a m ole

5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Good podcast  interview with former CEO Tom Fox. Touches on his time at Villa.  At the end of the podcast he talks about Randy Lerner. I agree with Fox that owning/running a football club is a thankless endeavor - you'll only be liked until your next loss. 

I think it always helps if you're qualified for the job.

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Didn't Fox appoint Sherwood?

If he did he is a word removed

Sherwood kept us up.  

If we’d gone down that season we could have gone all the way down League 2.  We could have also come back up and won the league.

23 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Sherwood kept us up.  

If we’d gone down that season we could have gone all the way down League 2.  We could have also come back up and won the league.

Benteke kept us up Sherwood was a passenger who benefitted from him coming back from injury just has he took over .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tinker said:

Benteke kept us up Sherwood was a passenger who benefitted from him coming back from injury just has he took over .

Benteke played 29 games that season. He got 11 league goals in the 12 games Sherwood managed him and 2 in 17 under Lambert who was dropping him 

11 hours ago, tinker said:

Benteke's big injury was the season before.  

I'm not for one second saying Sherwood was ever a good manager but I definitely think he gave the squad a psychological lift for the run in that ultimately kept us up.  He was also credited with Benteke's revived form.

• Like 2

Benteke had an injury that season and was coming back into form as Sherwood became manager, Benteke always needed games before he hit form and Lambert was unlucky with the timing , Sherwood was lucky.

Sherwood was a chancer who, at first, dropped lucky with form and injury. As soon as we hit any problems the wheels fell off. 

For me the Leicester game when we was 2 up to lose 3-2 was the moment he lost it. There are certainly parallels with Smith's loss to Wolves. 

• Like 1

Â