World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Australia would be a blow aswell, imagine there's good viewing figures down under for them now they're regulars.

Not sure about that, Australia has a pretty small population. I'm pretty sure at one point more people in the UK watched an episode of Neighbours than the population of Australia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I agree with that, think betting companies be biggest losers as lots of casual fans would bet on Italy and Netherlands due to name recognition

There's a great analogy consisting of a tiny string instrument and the service business that fits perfectly here..

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not sure about that, Australia has a pretty small population. I'm pretty sure at one point more people in the UK watched an episode of Neighbours than the population of Australia.

Tbf 25 million or so isn't that small. More than double Sweden. Though the time difference probably affects the viewing figures.

Edited by One For The Road

31 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Tbf 25 million or so isn't that small. More than double Sweden. Though the time difference probably affects the viewing figures.

Also the fact that "soccer" is still viewed by half the population as a "poof's game for people not man enough for AFL" (well, according to half of my work colleagues...)

Sweden captain (and MOTM) Andreas Granqvist pictured below in tears being comforted by a teammate.

He already plays and lives in Russia and will now have to spend the summer there as well. :D

Foto: JONAS EKSTRÖMER/TT / TT NYHETSBYRÅN

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Fair play Sweden. 

The playoffs though, eh? One team sits back and does nothing whilst the other team tries to break them down. Snorrrrre.

Brilliant defending doesn't really constitute 'nothing'. I thought the art of defending had left the game for good so last night was a great throwback. 

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Brilliant defending doesn't really constitute 'nothing'. I thought the art of defending had left the game for good so last night was a great throwback. 

I mean, sure, great defending should be admired and Italy are probably a stronger team (although this Sweden team is pretty handy). They had 10 shots over 2 legs and scored with a deflected goal - conceding possession massively in both legs too. 

It’s fine - they’re through to the World Cup which is brilliant and all that really matters. I’d rather have Sweden there than Italy for sure.

These playoff games have just been dull as anything, though. 

Now that Sweden are through I can come out and say that I've always quite liked Italy, and still do.

I've watched countless games from the Serie A during the years and always liked their national side.

Sad that they are not going to the WC, but obviously not on the expense of Sweden.

As many Italian players and journos have already said it might be good for them in the long run as they need a massive clear out in their FA and a fresh start.

Edit: Also, the away goal rule has to die. Both in qualifiers and in the Europa Cups. It's silly and outdated now that teams fly in on private jets and have everything they could possible need arranged for them.

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

Â