Monarch Airlines

This Could Be Rotterdam

Monarch Airlines has ceased trading and its 300,000 future bookings for flights and holidays have been cancelled, the Civil Aviation Authority has said.

Hope noone on here is affected. Someone i know flew out for their wedding yesterday, with 26 of their mates/family due to fly out over the next few days before the wedding on Sunday. Worst nightmare. 

Quite surprised i havent seen a news article yet mentioning the amount of people who will lose their jobs over this. Losing a holiday seems a small inconvenience compared to presumably thousands losing their jobs in the run up to christmas. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hit terribly hard by events in Egypt and Turkey, they were on the brink of folding last year, was only a matter of time, I've been actively avoiding flying with them for a while for this very reason.

Me too. I'm surprised they lasted this long. I have flown with them a fair bit in the past and I actually quite liked them. Always had decent flights on Monarch.

28 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've been actively avoiding flying with them for a while for this very reason.

23 minutes ago, KHV said:

Me too.

Well, I think we all know who to blame. :P 

• Haha 1

If Ryanair were to fold im not sure where that would leave the budget airline industry?

People are talking about the likes of BA going downhill as well so what exactly is wrong with the industry then? Is that under 100 quid market just not sustainable?

Starting a chargeback claim for my debit card payment for flights booked for November to Tenerife. 

Birmingham airport will be hit hard with Monarch going, it seemed to have more flights from there than any other budget carrier. 

58 minutes ago, tinker said:

Starting a chargeback claim for my debit card payment for flights booked for November to Tenerife. 

Birmingham airport will be hit hard with Monarch going, it seemed to have more flights from there than any other budget carrier. 

Not sure you can do a chargeback on a debit card to a company in administration. When you claim back from a credit card, it’s the credit card company that pays you. A chargeback however is he bank moving the money from the company's account to the customers. The company's account will be frozen I’d imagine as a part of the bankruptcy. Hope you do get your money back though

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Not sure you can do a chargeback on a debit card to a company in administration. When you claim back from a credit card, it’s the credit card company that pays you. A chargeback however is he bank moving the money from the company's account to the customers. The company's account will be frozen I’d imagine as a part of the bankruptcy. Hope you do get your money back though

I thought that as well tbh , but the lovely lady from first direct seemed quite positive. Anyhow I have filled the forms in and sent evidence of them ceasing to trade and the ticket purchase. I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tinker said:

They had 8 aircraft based there. Not sure how many Ryanair have there, I work for another airline that operate at BHX and I'd imagine there's plenty of interest in taking up their slots and routes. 

Really feel for the Monarch staff, have two friends there who, one has just finished his training on the 320 and one who hadn't done the final base training phase! When the airlines charging £30k for the training it's not great for them at all.

So.... Monarch pilots out of work can go work for Ryan Air. Problem solved no?

What a er.... turbulent... time in the airline industry.

Jokes aside, I really feel for those losing their jobs and/or being screwed over by these firms in one way or another.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Jokes aside, I really feel for those losing their jobs and/or being screwed over by these firms in one way or another.

If they are really desperate I guess they could go to Ryan Air but I suspect most of them would rather work at any other airline other than RA.

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Ryanairs problem is right now. It would take at least 3 months to take on the required amount of Monarch pilots and convert them to the Boeing since they're airbus boys. 

Plus, as Bickster said, the experienced guys will look for a better airline than Ryanair so it's only likely to be the relatively inexperienced pilots who would probably take Ryanair up. But I'm sure Ryanair will try and charge them for their Boeing type rating. Currently stands at just under £30k 

Â