Malta v England Slovakia v England

andykeenan

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

England isn't getting out of group stages. WIll most likely be in pot 2 like last time so a big hitter like Brazil or another big european team will be in the group.

Central midfield options are horrendous and you don't threaten at international level if that's the case.

Aren't there like 164 teams at the next world cup? Surely we can get out the pre-preliminary qualifying Round Pre - 1A?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Good enough to coast in qualifying but have our arse handed to us come a WC or Euro's.

Hence why we are so boring to follow these days.

There's no excitement at all.

We know we'll qualify for the tournament at a canter. And we know when we get there that we'll be shite and go home early.

We're stuck in limbo. The smaller teams get excitement from qualifying because it's an achievement if they get there.
The bigger teams get excitement from the tournament because they actually have a chance of winning.

We get nothing.

I like international football and I want England to do well. But I haven't felt excited about a tournament since about 2006

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

England isn't getting out of group stages. WIll most likely be in pot 2 like last time so a big hitter like Brazil or another big european team will be in the group.

Central midfield options are horrendous and you don't threaten at international level if that's the case.

current rankings have us in 13th, think henry winter did an article last week about how switzerland know how to play the game, they're 4th in the rankings (poland are 5th...) they play high point scoring friendlies meaning they rank better, england play money spinning friendlies with no care for the result, if we're on pot 2 (cant see us slipping to pot 3) and get a shit group the FA only have themselves to blame

agree about the midfield but then i dont think we even try and play a nice passing game, slovakia's 1st half pass and move was beyond england, we simply dont know how to do it, we're smash mouth football

On 01/09/2017 at 20:48, Dr_Pangloss said:

This team is shite, a vastly better manager than Southgate wouldn't achieve much more than him. There's absolutely no world class players in the squad and the vast majority of them are either average or shite. 

I'm not understanding your rationale here.  If you are right and the vast majority of the players are either average or shite, and yet they're a point from qualifying top of their group, how would a vastly better manager than Southgate have achieved much more, or any more, than he has?

I'm not defending Southgate here as I think he's distinctly average, but it seems England - if you are right about the resources at their disposal - have done very well for themselves with 6-2-0 from 8 games and 3 goals conceded.

EDIT : I'm a blind bar-steward.

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm not understanding your rationale here.  If you are right and the vast majority of the players are either average or shite, and yet they're a point from qualifying top of their group, how would a vastly better manager than Southgate have achieved much more, or any more, than he has?

I'm not defending Southgate here as I think he's distinctly average, but it seems England - if you are right about the resources at their disposal - have done very well for themselves with 6-2-0 from 8 games and 3 goals conceded.

Wouldn't.... you've misread what he posted.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Wouldn't....

You're 2 draws from a perfect record.  You can't achieve much more than they have done.  And that's not even taking the seeming paucity of quality at his disposal into account, which would suggest that in fact this gaggle of cloggers have done quite well for themselves.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're 2 draws from a perfect record.  You can't achieve much more than they have done.  And that's not even taking the seeming paucity of quality at his disposal into account, which would suggest that in fact this gaggle of cloggers have done quite well for themselves.

He said wouldn't achieve 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think his point was the players are crap, a better manager wouldn't get much more from them not would. I also think he meant any small improvement would be in performances rather than results.

But the main point was that the team is fairly shite which it is.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think his point was the players are crap, a better manager wouldn't get much more from them not would. I also think he meant any small improvement would be in performances rather than results.

But the main point was that the team is fairly shite which it is.

Yes, as the gifs above suggest, now that I've actually read it properly instead of scan-reading like a dumbass, we're in agreement @Dr_Pangloss  :lol:

• Like 2

England just don't play with any flair or style.

Spain obviously play with flair as do Germany when you look at the quality in midfields.

England just give the ball to one of their quick wide players to run at a defence at 100mph and occasionally it works.

Think reason England have declined is the defensive options just aren't great anymore. If you look back at World cup 2006 England kept 4 clean sheets in 5 games so that gives you a base to get through even if your midfield/attack is misfiring.

Conceded some very cheap goals in last two tournaments.

Edited by VillaChris

10 years ago England failed to qualify for Euro 2008. that squad compared to know is a lightyear away except Richards obviously ;)

Carson, Richards, Campbell, Lescott, Bridge, Wright-Phillips (Beckham 46), Gerrard, Barry (Defoe 46), Lampard, Joe Cole (Bent 80), Crouch.
Subs Not Used: James, Ashley Cole, Brown, Hargreaves.

The midfield options are scary compared to Livermore and Chamberlain

Edited by Zatman

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

10 years ago England failed to qualify for Euro 2008. that squad compared to know is a lightyear away except Richards obviously ;)

Carson, Richards, Campbell, Lescott, Bridge, Wright-Phillips (Beckham 46), Gerrard, Barry (Defoe 46), Lampard, Joe Cole (Bent 80), Crouch.
Subs Not Used: James, Ashley Cole, Brown, Hargreaves.

The midfield options are scary compared to Livermore and Chamberlain

I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Livermore on the pitch starting for England. Seriously wtf. Genuinely stunning.

Does it make any difference who manages England?

Southgate doing a remarkably similar job to all the previous incumbents of the last 10-15 years, although presumably for a much lower salary.

Â