Malta v England Slovakia v England

andykeenan

On 05/09/2017 at 02:14, TheAuthority said:

Aren't there like 164 teams at the next world cup? Surely we can get out the pre-preliminary qualifying Round Pre - 1A?

Yeah, give it another couple of FIFA presidents and our first round group matches will be against Vatican City, Sealand and Disney World. I reckon we'd have at least a puncher's chance in that group. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 2

The only reason Southgate was appointed was that we knew we wouldnt come close to challenging for the world cup and he would be an easy cheap firing once we get knocked out. We should do what Germany did and properly restructure from the bottom up. Bring in a way of playing that is attacking and nice to watch. Accept we wont do much for a few years but properly train our kids from a young age to pass and move, work as a team etc. Otherwise were just going to go through decades of the same old rubbish with nothing but disappointment.

...Half way through typing that i wasnt sure if i was talking about England or Villa...

• Like 2

Southgate did ok with the u21s, it seemed a natural progression for him to get the England job rather than paying a club manager a fortune. Southgate knows the system, he knows the young players coming through. he wasn't afraid to drop Rooney. We've been down the Capello and Sven foreign route before and although the later did ok with the talent at his disposal he should have done a lot better. He's done ok so far. I reserve judgement once we are in the finals, but he cant do any worse than the last two blokes that cost a fortune to flop.  Hodgson was the most annoying because he built his team around Rooney instead of the two hottest strikers in the Premier League Kane and Vardy. He would not budge from his 4-3-3. Yes he tried it once against Slovakia and we didn't score so he reverted back to type.

Southgate does not seem so set in his ways. He hasn't got the best crop of players especilally in midfield. Livermore getting picked is an example of that. But he is applying his trade at the top half of the Premier League so its not that bad a pick. Alli is raved about but for me the star of the Spurs midfield is Erikson. look how many goals he has scored for Denmark in their campaign. If only we had  a player like him or Forsberg in out midfield. 

Edited by PaulC

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

10 years ago England failed to qualify for Euro 2008. that squad compared to know is a lightyear away except Richards obviously ;)

Carson, Richards, Campbell, Lescott, Bridge, Wright-Phillips (Beckham 46), Gerrard, Barry (Defoe 46), Lampard, Joe Cole (Bent 80), Crouch.
Subs Not Used: James, Ashley Cole, Brown, Hargreaves.

The midfield options are scary compared to Livermore and Chamberlain

Both teams are shite, but on balance, I actually would probably take the team we put out the other night.

Carson v Hart

Richards v Walker

Bridge v Bertrand

Campbell v Jones

Lescott v Cahill

Wright-Phillips v Rashford

Gerrard v Henderson

Barry v Dier

Lampard v Oxlade-Chamberlain

Joe Cole v Alli

Crouch v Kane

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Livermore on the pitch starting for England. Seriously wtf. Genuinely stunning.

Genuine question, who do you think he's keeping out of the team? Who would you pick ahead of him?

By the way, I think we were crap 9 years ago, and we are crap today.

However, I think a lot of the reason England are so boring to watch is due to the format of the qualifiers. I mean, we were awful in the Euros, beyond bad. And we were at the World Cup in Brazil. And the Euros before that tbf. However, I think we've had some really entertaining games (vs. Wales and Iceland at the Euros, Uruguay in the WC, Sweden in 2012 all stand out) despite being obviously pants.  

I think they need to shake up international football. Qualifiers are always going to be dull. They were dull before they expanded both major tournaments and now we are even more guarantied to qualify they will be even more dull. 

I've heard talk of a 'Champions League' for countries. And why not? Regular competitive games against France, Germany, Spain, etc. in some sort of league has to be better than pumping four past Malta away. 

Edited by Cizzler

7 hours ago, Cizzler said:

I think they need to shake up international football. Qualifiers are always going to be dull. They were dull before they expanded both major tournaments and now we are even more guarantied to qualify they will be even more dull. 

I've heard talk of a 'Champions League' for countries. And why not? Regular competitive games against France, Germany, Spain, etc. in some sort of league has to be better than pumping four past Malta away. 

How they fit those extra matches in though? Format isn't great as it is but at least it gives all the nations an opportunity which I think is a good thing. 

England group is only dull.

There have been some brilliant qualifiers around the world in the last 7 days if people broaden their horizons. Already looking forward to next month's final rounds when many places will be decided and some big names could easily miss out or not qualify automatically at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

England group is only dull.

There have been some brilliant qualifiers around the world in the last 7 days if people broaden their horizons. Already looking forward to next month's final rounds when many places will be decided and some big names could easily miss out or not qualify automatically at least.

Most of the big upsets could be in the South American group. North America, its possible the USA could miss out. the Netherland and the Czech republic in the European groups, Ghana could miss out 

We could be having a U.S.A- Australia world cup play off in two months time, I'd say that would be pretty big as both countries are well established at qualifying for world cups so one missing out would be a big shock.

I'm still looking at europe. Holland is a shambles atm and I remember them missing out in 2002 so I wouldn't say that would be an earth shattering event. France, Italy or Portugal missing out would be as would Argentina of course. In european play offs Italy is pretty much guarenteed to finish 2nd and Croatia, France and Portugal is touch and go so if those 4 are in the play offs you have to think one will really struggle. France nearly missed out last time against the Ukraine.

I'd just prefer it if people looked past England playing Slovakia/Slovenia/Lithuania every two years and realised there are some great international moments. Ask fans of Wales and both Irish teams over the last two years for example.

• Like 1

Â