Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Currently on holiday in Portugal and seen this advertised at the nearest "English Pub" to us. WOOHOO. 

Naturally will be my only visit to said establishment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd play

Johnstone

De Laet---Chester---Terry---Taylor

Whelan---Hourihane---Onomah

Elmohamady---Davis---Green

And give Lansbury, Adomah and Hogan plenty of time coming on from the bench (I know this depends on what's happened in the game)

Keep up the positive attitude and I think we'll win 3-1 - Davis with a header, Green with a tap in and a Hourihane free kick.

:flag:

An early goal for us in this one could be so important - the longer it stays at nil-nil, or if we concede early, the more likely it is the players will lose the bit of confidence they've gained over the last week. It's vital we get off to a good start.

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think some fans may be getting over excited by the Norwich game. On 2 occasions it looked like they would equalise. We managed to break away and kill the game off but in the second half we never looked in control. 

We really need to kill teams off first half when we create so many chances. 

We really need to keep on the front foot for the entire match. When we are supposedly `managing' the game we are really not up to it and are only conceding ground and letting the opposition gain confidence.

• Like 2

Yeah I'd go with that @8pints.  My preference would be Bree over RDL but as long as it's "ABH" I don't mind.

Unfortunately for you lot, I'll be watching this one and I've been responsible for all our crap performances this season.  I missed the previous 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

We really need to keep on the front foot for the entire match. When we are supposedly `managing' the game we are really not up to it and are only conceding ground and letting the opposition gain confidence.

I don't think a team can play with the intensity and pressed style we played first half against Hull and Norwich for 90 minutes which is why out ball retention must improve. How possession stats are appalling. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think some fans may be getting over excited by the Norwich game. On 2 occasions it looked like they would equalise. We managed to break away and kill the game off but in the second half we never looked in control. 

I couldn't disagree with this more.

On 8/22/2017 at 12:28, Grasshopper said:

My 11 + Subs

Steer

Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Whelan

Elmo     Lansbury    Green

Hourihane

Davis

Subs - SJ RDL Samba Jedi Adomah Onomah Hogan

I think Bruce will play SJ for Steer Hutton (F****) for Bree and possibly Onomah for Lansbury.

If Davis gets found out and Hourihane cant shine/shoot then I cant see a goal coming.

hard to dispute that.....decent shout.

plenty of options on the bench too.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Currently on holiday in Portugal and seen this advertised at the nearest "English Pub" to us. WOOHOO. 

Naturally will be my only visit to said establishment. 

they pay you too much:)

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think a team can play with the intensity and pressed style we played first half against Hull and Norwich for 90 minutes which is why out ball retention must improve. How possession stats are appalling. 

...except for the 65% against Cardiff and look how that turned out.  I'd be more than happy with another 37% + 20 shots + 4 goals like Norwich.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok please expand on this and how you viewed the second half. 

Second half we controlled Norwich as well as we did in the first half.

Yes we conceded two sloppy goals. But the fact that we responded almost immediately both times is evidence to me that we were in control. We were never going to lose that game.

I don't remember a time in that game where Norwich had a sustained period of pressure.

It's as dominant a game as we've had since the Rotherham home fixture last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

they pay you too much:)

It's not 1967 anymore you know. Jet 2 are in brum. Even surfs like you can now catch an aeroplane to the sun TRO. 

Anyway, I don't earn the medium sized bucks for no reason you know;)

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Second half we controlled Norwich as well as we did in the first half.

Yes we conceded two sloppy goals. But the fact that we responded almost immediately both times is evidence to me that we were in control. We were never going to lose that game.

I don't remember a time in that game where Norwich had a sustained period of pressure.

It's as dominant a game as we've had since the Rotherham home fixture last season.

Ok maybe it's because of past experiences I felt on both occasions when Norwich scored we were going to throw the game away. They nearly scored an equaliser straight after their 1st when Johnstone almosts passed the ball as a save. We looked like we panicking to me until we went and the scored the 3rd.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok maybe it's because of past experiences I felt on both occasions when Norwich scored we were going to throw the game away. They nearly scored an equaliser straight after their 1st when Johnstone almosts passed the ball as a save. We looked like we panicking to me until we went and the scored the 3rd.

Well I felt like that too. Because we're Villa.

But that's not what happened. We didn't throw the game away. We went down the other end and put it out of sight. Twice.

There was no panic.