Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's not 1967 anymore you know. Jet 2 are in brum. Even surfs like you can now catch an aeroplane to the sun TRO. 

Anyway, I don't earn the medium sized bucks for no reason you know;)

easy tiger, I might be old , but........

I know i just used them to come back from Majorca.....missed the 8 goals in the process.

looking forward to tomorrows game.....need a result of sorts though.

UTV

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Second half we controlled Norwich as well as we did in the first half.

Yes we conceded two sloppy goals. But the fact that we responded almost immediately both times is evidence to me that we were in control. We were never going to lose that game.

I don't remember a time in that game where Norwich had a sustained period of pressure.

It's as dominant a game as we've had since the Rotherham home fixture last season.

I thought we looked very shaky at the beginning of the second half.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So would I but it would be nice to keep the ball better once we have a lead.

True.  But for now I'm just happy to have some cake - if it eventually gets icing that's great.

• Like 1

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I thought we looked very shaky at the beginning of the second half.

I don't think we did, but even if we did, that doesn't mean we didn't control the game.

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think a team can play with the intensity and pressed style we played first half against Hull and Norwich for 90 minutes which is why out ball retention must improve. How possession stats are appalling. 

No, I would not expect that either, but just better possession and further up the field.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

No, I would not expect that either, but just better possession and further up the field.

I remember when I was playing and our manager was screaming that to us at half time.

we all screamed back, " we are trying to"

sometimes even if its begrudingly, we have to give a bit of credit to the opposition.

Bristol will not be easy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok maybe it's because of past experiences I felt on both occasions when Norwich scored we were going to throw the game away. They nearly scored an equaliser straight after their 1st when Johnstone almosts passed the ball as a save. We looked like we panicking to me until we went and the scored the 3rd.

That's the old Villa, not the new improved Villa with added exoserum to smooth out those wrinkles. 

We lost at Bristol City last August (1-3) and so owe them one. That game played an early part in shattering our pre-season confidence. This one can give us a third consecutive win and a boost in our hopes of making a strong promotion challenge.

Prior to last season's away defeat we had won our previous 2 away games at the home of the Robins. In all we have won 21 of the 40 games played between the two teams and have drawn 10. 

What could possibly go wrong if we hit another 4 goals or even twelvety tonight?      

Johnstone

Bree                      Chester                      Terry                       Taylor

Adomah              Whelan                      Onomah                    Green

Hourihane

Davis

20 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Back from a brief hiatus.:unsure:

Before I carry on posting, wanted to apologise to the VT community for my actions on here recently. Particularly to @Stevo985 and @lapal_fan. I rose to the bait unnecessarily. At the end of the day we all share the same common love of the villa. Promise I'll be on my best behaviour from now on now I have learned to read eh stevo? 

As for right Back, I would love to see bree given a decent run in the side. Surely it's been proved in recent weeks that age and experience should not be a barrier.

What a nice thing to do. Top man. 

• Like 2

Still don't think Bruce trusts too many of the young lads in the starting 11 and i think what's happened in the last week or so with Davis's performance against norwich and the young lads playing so well against wigan has come about by default rather than design. Hogan was injured last week. The wigan and Bristol City games been so close together that he had to change it rather than wanting to.  Sincerely hope he doesn't revert to type, but i feel he might do.

For me the crucial choice to determine if bruce is moving forward is the RB position imo i would play bree or RDL hutton has been exposed so often if bruces chooses the either of the first 2 i named then he might be learnjng if hutton starts then he has learnt nothing alan hutton should be told to find a new club hes a liability.

BBC reporting Davis is doubtful with a hamstring injury.

"Aston Villa midfielder Josh Onomah (head injury) is expected to be fit to play, as Steve Bruce's side bid for a third straight win in all competitions.

Striker Keinan Davis (hamstring) is doubtful, while midfielder Mile Jedinak (sickness) is likely to miss out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40970867

Edited by Shortie
Comply with posting guidlines

1 hour ago, villan501 said:

For me the crucial choice to determine if bruce is moving forward is the RB position imo i would play bree or RDL hutton has been exposed so often if bruces chooses the either of the first 2 i named then he might be learnjng if hutton starts then he has learnt nothing alan hutton should be told to find a new club hes a liability.

Not selecting a match day squad with 3 right backs and 1 striker (+ Gabby) would also be a step forward.