Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

I hate cliches but I've thought about this game all week and for me this game could define our season. A win could see confidence reach heights not seen this decade, a draw would solidify the view that things aren't as bad as some may have thought but we also aren't that great. A loss could make a lot think the two wins were just an anomaly and the Bruce out train will be full steam ahead. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I hate cliches but I've thought about this game all week and for me this game could define our season. A win could see confidence reach heights not seen this decade, a draw would solidify the view that things aren't as bad as some may have thought but we also aren't that great. A loss could make a lot think the two wins were just an anomaly and the Bruce out train will be full steam ahead. 

When you're balancing on a cliff edge you have to either step back and retreat till the danger is no more. If you continue to ride the cliff-edge you will eventually fall off.

So thats the question tonight is

does the result AND the performance suggest

we stay on the cliffs edge.

Take one step back returning to the cliffs edge again pretty soon.

Retreat to safety never looking back.

????????

Maybe after tonights escapades either the fans or Tony will push him over the edge.

Tonight is more make or break than Norwich.

No Kodjia or Davis to paper over the cracks

Bruce has to save himself tonight using the multitude of talents that every CH manager would die for.

Tonights performance and result could be a defining moment for the fans and an itchy DrT.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

When you're balancing on a cliff edge you have to either step back and retreat till the danger is no more. If you continue to ride the cliff-edge you will eventually fall off.

So thats the question tonight is

does the result AND the performance suggest

we stay on the cliffs edge.

Take one step back returning to the cliffs edge again pretty soon.

Retreat to safety never looking back.

????????

Maybe after tonights escapades either the fans or Tony will push him over the edge.

Tonight is more make or break than Norwich.

No Kodjia or Davis to paper over the cracks

Bruce has to save himself tonight using the multitude of talents that every CH manager would die for.

Tonights performance and result could be a defining moment for the fans and an itchy DrT.

I think even with a loss here Tony wouldn't sack Bruce... obviously I could be wrong but I just don't think Tony would pull the trigger after a loss here. 

I'm really looking forward to tonight, can't wait! Would love us to score four but would take a 0-3!! ;) 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I think even with a loss here Tony wouldn't sack Bruce... obviously I could be wrong but I just don't think Tony would pull the trigger after a loss here. 

I'm really looking forward to tonight, can't wait! Would love us to score four but would take a 0-3!! ;) 

Yeah if Xia was firing Bruce any time soon he wouldn't have just allowed the signing of Snodgrass.

One thing for sure is that the two victories in a week seems to have given us all a lot of options to think about:

Which RB to replace Hutton?

How bad is Keinan's knock and do we play him AND Hogan, does Scott deserve a starting place as he looked good until injured, opening door for KD

How to replace Onomah who with a head injury might not be risked (shouldn't be!) - Hourihane seems obvious choice 

Elmo or Albert?

4231 or 442

Personally I think we will see RDL at RB, Scott in for KD and the others as per Norwich. Let's hope the confidence and momentum means we escape back up the M5 with 3 points

PMSL at this

As if travelling to away games with Aston Villa hadn't been bad enough for supporters in recent years....

One Villa supporter has been abandoned en-route to Bristol City tonight as pat of his stag-do celebrations.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fan-handcuffed-fancy-13530847

we need to know if he gets there....

6 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Scott in for KD and the others as per Norwich.

This is the bit I don't like in this formation - for me, Hogan can only play when there's a secondary striker able to play deeper than he does and bring play up to the front end - O'Hare can do this and I think is the best natural partner for him in the squad - for me, Davis needs to play furthest forward to be effective and so does Hogan, I'm not sure they'd work as a pair - but Hogan in the Davis lone striker role definitely doesn't work - he can't hold the ball up so he ends up too isolated and the midfield don't get into the attacking third of the pitch. If Davis can't make it (and I really hope he does) then for me it's a choice between a Hogan-O'Hare partnership or Gabby trying to lead the line.

• Like 1

Whoa just looked at one thing that could worry me as we get further into the season

SJ/JS 24

AH 32 RDL 29

JT 36 JC 28

NT 28

MJ 33 

GW 33

Elmo 29

CH 26 HL 26 of BB 29

Snods 29

Kodj 27

not exactly youthfull is it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is the bit I don't like in this formation - for me, Hogan can only play when there's a secondary striker able to play deeper than he does and bring play up to the front end - O'Hare can do this and I think is the best natural partner for him in the squad - for me, Davis needs to play furthest forward to be effective and so does Hogan, I'm not sure they'd work as a pair - but Hogan in the Davis lone striker role definitely doesn't work - he can't hold the ball up so he ends up too isolated and the midfield don't get into the attacking third of the pitch. If Davis can't make it (and I really hope he does) then for me it's a choice between a Hogan-O'Hare partnership or Gabby trying to lead the line.

please delete the last 6 words and never use them ever again......

Away at Reading we set up to soak up pressure and break and until Scott got a knock you could say it was working as the best chance by half was Andre's backpass. 

Scott would work well with KD OR O'hare I think as he is an intelligent player, Brentford played him with another striker and with support from midfield and he scored plenty. If he starts we need to stop playing those 30/40 yard chipped balls to his chest/head. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

please delete the last 6 words and never use them ever again......

I know - I've said it - but for me in the 4-2-3-1, Gabby is a better option than Hogan to lead the line. Davis is a better option than both.

In fairness, Davis and Hogan could work, but I'm not sure we've got the players for a 4-4-2. 

OBE - YOU, me or the tea lady from BMH are better options than Gabby to lead anything, unless it's a conga out of VP. 

Since half time v Hull he has been back to the half arsed money grabbing git we've seen for the last few years (or since he last tried as he needed a new contract)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

OBE - YOU, me or the tea lady from BMH are better options than Gabby to lead anything, unless it's a conga out of VP. 

Since half time v Hull he has been back to the half arsed money grabbing git we've seen for the last few years (or since he last tried as he needed a new contract)

dont entirely disagree....but he did change the game and get a ''great'' goal against the shits last season (any goal against the shits is a great goal)

Fully agree about Hogan. He needs a link behind him and O'Hare was brilliant with this and the same with Doyle-Hayes a bit further back. Those 3 as the spine should be very effective. They go direct through the middle and not back and wide all the time.

Ten minutes til team news - some interesting choices - I think he'll go DeLaet over Bree and Elmohamady over Adomah - beyond that, I think there are questions on who the midfield three will be - I'm guessing Whelen plus two and of course whether Davis is fit enough to play up top.

• Like 1