General Election 2017

ender4

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

What would happen if the PM lost their seat? Would they still be PM?

not the same thing but , Alec Douglas-Home was PM whilst in the Lords wasn't he ? all be it  a short time until they held a by-election somewhere

so in theory the PM doesn't have to be an MP in the commons .. but I'd be surprised if they weren't replaced / knifed in the event they lost their seat

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Until they resigned, I guess. Interesting hypothetical.

one of the reasons why I do think we need electoral reform to reflect how we approach politics. Follow the model elsewhere and get in a President. At the moment it's just daft, and can knacker some MPs who may be perfectly well disposed to doing something good if they are going to be judged entirely on their leader - this wouldn't completely go with a separate vote obviously, but it gives them a chance to stand or fall on their own merits

23 minutes ago, darrenm said:

What would happen if the PM lost their seat? Would they still be PM?

Depends on the part rules.

The Tories rules dictate the PM must be the party leader and the party leader must be an MP. So if the Tories won and May lost her seat she wouldn't be PM and the 1922 committee would organise a secret ballot where they would decide which child to sacrifice... oh no that's their other secret committee... to decide a temporary party leader followed by a full election.

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

To be fair, Ken Clarke is about the only decent Tory, even though that's a contradiction in terms.

I like David Davis as well. He should be leading the party not bloody May 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

There's absolutely good reason to spoil. If you don't believe in any of the parties, or have a problem with the system with itself, it allows you show your disdain for it whilst being counted still.

Hence why I generally do it. I don't particularly like any party and think the system requires reform.

I personally take the view it's better to highlight the inefficiencies. Vote for another party. Keep highlighting that proportional representation is needed. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rodders said:

one of the reasons why I do think we need electoral reform to reflect how we approach politics. Follow the model elsewhere and get in a President. At the moment it's just daft, and can knacker some MPs who may be perfectly well disposed to doing something good if they are going to be judged entirely on their leader - this wouldn't completely go with a separate vote obviously, but it gives them a chance to stand or fall on their own merits

wouldn't a president mean becoming a republic ? though I suppose you could have 2 heads of state à  la San Marino ?

15 minutes ago, JB said:

If your polling station was in a school and you voted Tory, you may as well have taken a shit on the floor on your way out. 

Bit extreme. When there are toilets available why would people want to do a Labour on the floor.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

wouldn't a president mean becoming a republic ? though I suppose you could have 2 heads of state à  la San Marino ?

A President doesn't have to be Head of State does he? I'll be honest, that never even crossed my mind as an option! But if I'm ever asked I saw I'd go for a republic over a monarchy anyway so that change wouldn't bother me too much. Can keep the title Prime Minister, just have their own special election

8 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Bit extreme. When there are toilets available why would people want to do a Labour on the floor.

He said take a shit, not give birth. Typical Tory glossing over the important details. 

Â