General Election 2017

ender4

44 minutes ago, Risso said:

You know what a budget is right?  

In the 16th and 17th centuries, budget was a slang word for penis.

Puts it all into perspective really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Good man. It's good to see some perspective. You know, Abbott being crap at interviews against dangerous austerity, cuts to everything but top rate tax etc.

nah Its non of that I'll just feel safer on Friday Morning if she's Home secretary, good to know she's got a handle on her brief

1 minute ago, turnbull said:

In the 16th and 17th centuries, budget was a slang word for penis.

Puts it all into perspective really.

It would change the outlook for the Office for Budget Responsiblity. :)

You just wanted us to google budget penis, didn't you? ;)

Just now, snowychap said:

It would change the outlook for the Office for Budget Responsiblity. :)

You just wanted us to google budget penis, didn't you? ;)

Erm, yes and no. Many moons ago someone lent me a book about bawdy 17th century verse and there was a line in one poem that went "he pulled out his budget and gave her a dose" It helped me get though many a Chancellor's speech.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Numbers just plonked in a table like that are utterly meaningless and are not meant to 'inform'.

And how are they meaningless exactly? Have you checked the sources or are you allowing your hatred for the conservative party cloud your judgement?

It's literally just been shown all the figures are fudged and misleading.

It's useless as anything other than propaganda for those that won't scratch the surface.

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And how are they meaningless exactly? Have you checked the sources or are you allowing your hatred for the conservative party cloud your judgement?

They are meaningless because they have been shown with little or no context. It's not even immediately clear whether they are for calendar years or financial years.

Yes, you can glean a few small things from them (such as the point I made above about the nominal cut in education spend) but they really don't say a great deal in and of themselves.

Edit: It has nothing to do with my hatred for the Tory party (something I rarely deny), it has to do with just chucking numbers in to a table. Whether the numbers are 'right' is immaterial to my criticism of the cry to 'get informed'.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Screenshot_20170605-214637.png

I've looked on the BBC fact checker for the Police Budget figures. Institute for Fiscal Studies calls 'bollocks' on the police figures above.

I also looked for Police Budget direct from government:

Based on these figures central grant to police forces has decreased in 25% in real terms from 2010/11 to 2014/15.27 The figures for individual forces were fairly similar, with real terms reductions for individual forces varying from 24% for North Yorkshire to 26% for most English forces and all the Welsh forces.

Above quote is figures from the Office for National Statistics, as presented in this House of Commons Library Paper on Police Funding downloadable here: researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN02616/SN02616.pdf

I picked that police budget because I was so impressed with the tories spending an extra BILLION a year whilst sacking 20,000 police. Turns out the budget figures on that table appear to be utterly random made up numbers.

Baby budgie.

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Echoes YouGov too. ICM are the outliers. All depends on of youth vote turns up or not.

It's spread wider than that. YouGov and Survation are showing tiny Tory leads, well within the margin of error. IpsosMORI and Opinium are showing leads in the mid-single digits, and ORB, ICM and ComRes are all showing Tory leads in double figures. 

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Without meaning to sound too offensive, you are exactly the type of person that the Tories will be counting on in this election - and they'll win because of the same. 

Zero inclination to query anything that is fed through if you're likely to vote that way.

I'm not even sure the Conservatives have discussed any policies or proposals? They've spent the entire time getting the current leader of our country(!) to spout inane crap over and over again whilst slagging off Labour the rest of the time.  There's nothing to their campaign! Can't even answer questions.

But they'll easily win. Because look, some made up stuff about other people being shit and slagging off others.

Britain is shit. 

• Like 1

Â