General Election 2017

ender4

Corbyn is an absolute fool.  20 points behind in the polls and he is going to vote for the early election.  May can't have the election if Labour don't agree to it as a two thirds majority is needed.  The only reason May wants the election now is because Labour are such shambles that they won't put up any sort of a fight and Corbyn is nodding it through like he thinks he has a chance.  Labour need to vote against the snap election, get their house in order and put up a proper fight at the end of the fixed term.  Sadly none of these things have any chance of happening.  I can only hope that a coalition of Lib/Lab and SNP can pull together to stop the Tories.  All pipe dreams, I will apologise to my children tonight for the shambles of a Britain I will be leaving them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Corbyn is an absolute fool.  20 points behind in the polls and he is going to vote for the early election.  May can't have the election if Labour don't agree to it as a two thirds majority is needed.  The only reason May wants the election now is because Labour are such shambles that they won't put up any sort of a fight and Corbyn is nodding it through like he thinks he has a chance.  Labour need to vote against the snap election, get their house in order and put up a proper fight at the end of the fixed term.  Sadly none of these things have any chance of happening.  I can only hope that a coalition of Lib/Lab and SNP can pull together to stop the Tories.  All pipe dreams, I will apologise to my children tonight for the shambles of a Britain I will be leaving them.

He can't possibly not vote for it though can he? That'd be like Villa saying they won't play small heath on Sunday, because Jimmy Danger in suspended.

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

He can't possibly not vote for it though can he? That'd be like Villa saying they won't play small heath on Sunday, because Jimmy Danger in suspended.

He could do if he hadn't voted against the Fixed Term Parliament Act in 2011 (and subsequently repeated his doubts about fixed term parliaments in the media).

It's nice that May (yet another in a long line of lying Prime Ministers) appeared to remember at the end of her announcement that the law says that it isn't up to her and her government to call an election and that it's up to the House of Commons to trigger a dissolution of parliament.

So, how do you vote as a Remain voter?

I usually spoil my ballot. This time I would vote for a party. But...

The Lib Dems are heavily tainted by 2010, will say anything for a sniff of power, and have no chance of actually getting anywhere to do anything. And are lead by a compete clearing in the woods.

Labour are pro Brexit, and lead by the limp spirit of a deceased geography teacher.

Everything else is either a completely wasted vote for something I don't believe in, or is actively self harming.

I'm in a Labour seat that rarely shifts.

Spoilt ballot it is then. I have a vote here dying for a Remain party with some spine to give it to.

Instead the thing will have word removed written next to the Tory, UKIP and BNP candidates and bin posted to oblivion in the box.

The fixed term Parliament act was put into place to prevent exactly this sort of opportunistic election calling.  It encourages incumbent parties to call for elections only when the time is perfect for them to do so.  Start a war and ride the nationalist surge in the polls, or announce a tax cut then call an election, that sort of thing, or in this case, spot an opposition that cannot hope to win and call the election before they have a chance to sort it out.  Corbyn could absolutely throw this back in her face and gain some ground politically in time for 2020.  Corbyn has to know he can't win from here in the time he has.  Being a realist and admitting this allows the opposition to the Tories to fight against a hard Brexit whilst May only has a slim majority in Parliament.  Corbyn should call May out as a cynical opportunist and slap her down.  He can even use her own words against her, she called this process a cheap trick, she said this needs to be a time for stability and healing, she basically has talked a whole load of crap about doing exactly what she is doing today.

Being a strong leader is not about accepting every fight that the opposition offer you.  It is about winning the war.  Labour could lose for a generation here, it would be wiser IMO to block this snap election and use the opportunity to trash May with her own words.  Agreeing to an election now is like the charge of the light brigade. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup. the 2/3 rule will never actually count for anything. An opposition party that votes to leave the incumbant government in power is basically finished as an electoral force.

An early election is probably for the best, anyway. Corbyn isn't going anywhere until the electorate tell him to jog on, it's better to happen in June than in 2020, another 5 years of the tories finding new ways to kill the vulnerable instead of 8.

As I have said a few moments ago, I think there are good reasons for blocking the election, the problem is that Labour as they are now are already finished as an electoral force.  Block the election and reform the party/leadership is the only chance they have prior to 2020.  Sadly I agree with you that the way things are at the moment 5 years of Tory rule is probably the minimum we can hope for.

Will be interesting to see the stance of Jeremy Corbyn being a popular electable leader, after the local elections results, and leading in to the GE.

My money's on, everyone loves Jeremy it's the media conspiracy to blame for no-one voting for him. 

18 minutes ago, Straggler said:

The fixed term Parliament act was put into place to prevent exactly this sort of opportunistic election calling. 

The FTPA was created simply and only to prevent the Lib Dems holding a gun to the head of the 2010-2015 coalition by threatening a vote of no confidence and flashing their knickers at Labour instead. Its creation was every bit as cynical as its death, and I for one won't miss it (while it may remain on the statute books, it died as a relevant concept today). 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Will be interesting to see the stance of Jeremy Corbyn being a popular electable leader, after the local elections results, and leading in to the GE.

My money's on, everyone loves Jeremy it's the media conspiracy to blame for no-one voting for him. 

Jezza needs to do the decent thing and lie. Big time. About everything. 

The Tories have missed all their fiscal targets, all the promises on immigration numbers were a load of cobblers and as for brexit, well yeah. They are masters at saying anything to get elected and he needs to grow a pair and do the same. 

He needs to say whatever it takes to get the UKIP/BREXIT/Anti immigration voters onside. 

None of it needs to be true, just say whatever needs to be said. Tell em you'll build a wall. Tell em it'll be British jobs for British people. Tell em he'll spend all the euros on the NHS, tell em everything will be a red, white and blue, make Britain great again triumph. He needs to embrace the bullshit and channel the spirit of Trump, 

Corbyn's agreeing to it because he's tired and had enough. He can't get past the backstabbers in the PLP, so he's throwing the towel in. He'll get wiped out in the election and go write his memoirs. Some Blairite will take over and New New Labour will win the next election and ensure the Tory philosophy and politics continue uninterrupted. Depressing. 

• Like 4

Â