General Election 2017

ender4

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I don't know what that means ? Is that good or bad ?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Thanks.

Well,  I get told off for making things up so I thought I would ask this time :D It's my newest life policy.

49 minutes ago, darrenm said:

There hasn't been a left Labour government since 1979

Not sure what point you are making here. In 1979 everyone that is 65 and over now would have been eligible to vote and a "left labour" government was elected.

28 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Not sure what point you are making here. In 1979 everyone that is 65 and over now would have been eligible to vote and a "left labour" government was elected.

You said 

If they had voted Tory all the lives there would never have been a labour government

My point is that there hasn't been a left government for 40 years, so anyone over 60 hasn't ever voted for a 'Labour' government

5 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question is whether the influence of social media is any less pernicious than newspapers.

And worryingly there is far less regulation of what is said/claimed on social media versus in the newspapers. 

Social media does tend to be far more left wing than the population as a whole. I think part of that is due to the fact that the "younger" generation (<50) tend to use it far more than the older generations (who as has been said, tend to rely more on newspapers (or TV)). I also agree with the statements made that people tend to move to the right more as they get older (a generalisation - I realise that there are plenty of individual examples that don't). Will be interesting to see in 20 years time if social media is more balanced as many of the users are now older and have moved right. There is also the problem of the "silent majority" on social media - in that if you post something that isn't "lefty" you will often get lots of abuse, meaning that many people will go along with the pack mentality and then vote the way they actually feel when they are alone in the ballot box. If you use social media (even this forum) as a barometer of public mood then Mr Corbyn would have won an overwhelming landslide.   

Will come back in 2037 to continue this conversation and see how it pans out.... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, darrenm said:

You said 

My point is that there hasn't been a left government for 40 years, so anyone over 60 hasn't ever voted for a 'Labour' government

OK I get your point, but dispute your maths. 40 years ago people who are 60 now we're 20 then. The 70 year olds were 30 and the 80 year olds were 40. Every single one of the older generation now we're eligible to vote then and many had been eligible to vote for several parliaments before then. If anything this hammers home the point that they have shifted to the right over the years.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes sounds like my brother 40 years in the union

It's always good to have a chat with one of the older comrades. There's plenty of them, up this way. If anyone ever gets the chance to go to the HQ of the Durham Miners' Association, at Redhills in Durham, the place is crawling with them. Some wonderful stories to be told, and a few eye opening ones too.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It seems you have to pledge allegiance to the Queen in order to take your seats in parliament, so yeah ... I don't think Sinn Féin will be doing that any time soon :lol:

Tbf that rules me out too. I don't think I could ever pledge allegiance to her. I'm sure she is nice and that but surely you can become an MP without having to pledge your allegiance to her?

They've considered ditching the oath a few times, but it always gets quietly shuffled off the agenda and a few cantankerous figures (Tebbit) mock outrage whenever it's mentioned.

But yes, it's a rather large stumbling block for Sinn Fein. A big part of the reason they'll never take their seats. Although I believe they don't completely reject Westminster, they use offices there and meet ministers there. meaning they do more work than Farage ever did in the EU Parliament.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

It seems you have to pledge allegiance to the Queen in order to take your seats in parliament, so yeah ... I don't think Sinn Féin will be doing that any time soon :lol:

This has always been a major factor as to why Sinn Fein have never taken their seats isn't it? I imagine there will never be a scenario where they will.   

Edited by dAVe80

50 minutes ago, BOF said:

Didn't stop Corbyn B)

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Corbyn is a republican , even allowing for 2017 revisionism of his views

Ah right OK.  But even at that I imagine it's safe to say there's a more than nuanced difference between SF's and JC's goals, and their overall views of the UK & then of the Queen.

Point being, the British Corbyn doing it and the Irish SF doing it are still very different things.

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

OK I get your point, but dispute your maths. 40 years ago people who are 60 now we're 20 then. The 70 year olds were 30 and the 80 year olds were 40. Every single one of the older generation now we're eligible to vote then and many had been eligible to vote for several parliaments before then. If anything this hammers home the point that they have shifted to the right over the years.

It was more of a broad point. The last general election where a left wing government was voted in was 1976 so 41 years ago. Anyone eligible to vote then would be 59 now. Doesn't really prove anything either way, I just thought it was interesting in that it could be that you get more right wing as you get older, or equally viable that different generations have certain political leanings and keep them, and that the baby boomers who are Tory have always been right/Tory, while generation x and below have been and always will be socially conscientious.

Â