General Election 2017

ender4

19 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yeah.

I think that the manifesto was a bit of a big swing. It was obviously what Corbyn and McDonnell have been dreaming about for years. But Corbyn's shown he's not stubborn enough to not take better advice on board shown by his evolution in various ways over the campaign. The manifesto was to get a bit of news, a bit of people talking.

Next time round I think everyone will see a bit more of a centrist manifesto with a few left leanings.

I don't think they will at all.Corbyn has said more than once that he intends to move the middle ground.

I think he's already managed that personally. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually dont mind osbourne i think he would make a good leader. But i think he is really enjoying his media role 

I don't mind Osbourne either, in a Piers Morganesque "I'm a massive word removed and I just don't care" kind of way, but I wouldn't let him lead the conga at the Tory Xmas party, let alone the country. 

• Like 2

What Corbyn achieved vs what almost everyone else expected (except Darren who realised the scale of the shift - kudos for that) was remarkable. 

That said, against the worst Tory PM ever, pushing the worst manifesto ever, Labour still didn't get within 50 seats of the Conservatives - even when offering the moon on a stick to everyone in sight.

May is friendless, advisor less and clueless. She will not last and her party will not repeat the mistakes made under her brief leadership.  In other words it's quite likely that this is the high water mark for a Corbyn led Labour Party, but I think they could go further still under someone else. 

Its also worth noting that over 80% of those who voted supported a party that committed to leaving the single market in their manifestos. The commentariat crowing that 'hard Brexit is dead' are pushing their own agendas, not one informed by the actual vote.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I don't mind Osbourne either, in a Piers Morganesque "I'm a massive word removed and I just don't care" kind of way, but I wouldn't let him lead the conga at the Tory Xmas party, let alone the country. 

But if he was also in charge of the distribution of recreational drugs at their party, and then led the conga.  What then?  Hmmm?

17 minutes ago, peterms said:

But if he was also in charge of the distribution of recreational drugs at their party, and then led the conga.  What then?  Hmmm?

Well now in that case, count me in for second in line! 

Choo choo chooooo

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's a huge culture amongst the population of "I'm not going to vote for him/them because he/they won't win"
I honestly believe a lot of people vote or voted conservative because they were going to win.

As messed up as that is, I'm almost sure that happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if merely the fact that Labour made people sit up and say "oh, they are actually capable of upsetting things" caused them to gain a hell of a lot more votes next time around, if next time around is soon.

Agreed. And don't underestimate Momentum. They're a seriously slick operation.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

That said, against the worst Tory PM ever, pushing the worst manifesto ever, Labour still didn't get within 50 seats of the Conservatives - even when offering the moon on a stick to everyone in sight.

Agree with this. The Tories hold the territory, but both sides must muster again.

Look at the Tory reserves stepping forward. They have to get them out the hole she continues to dig.

Choosing a winner at this point is shooting from the hip.

3 hours ago, peterms said:

I was going to say and the provision of ladies of dubious morality.  But then it's a much more honest profession than being an MP, so didn't.

It's not impossible but it would require a change of heart to the extent they effectively abandoned a guiding, defining principle of their party.

So it is exceedingly unlikely.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's a huge culture amongst the population of "I'm not going to vote for him/them because he/they won't win"
I honestly believe a lot of people vote or voted conservative because they were going to win.

As messed up as that is, I'm almost sure that happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if merely the fact that Labour made people sit up and say "oh, they are actually capable of upsetting things" caused them to gain a hell of a lot more votes next time around, if next time around is soon.

Yep.

I reckon you'd find if you held the election again a week later Labour would do even better. This is absolutely a real thing that happens.

Lots of the "i'll vote informal/won't vote because my vote wont count" types would actually vote properly if they realised how much their vote might actually matter.

Graham Brady (he of the 1922 Committee) has said that he doesn't see much appetite 'out there' for another general election any time soon.

I don't think I saw a great deal of appetite 'out there' for one two months ago, Graham.

• Like 1

Â