General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Slim and none like Brexit or slim and none like Trump?

Slim and none like a country that leans Tory anyway being offered Tory Tories (however unlikable) and a left option with questions all over it's leader and leading figures and a hostile press hammering those questions all day every day. There's another poll doing the rounds showing a Tory super majority despite the crap campaign.

It'll be closer than the Tories would like, because they've run a hopeless campaign under a vile leader pushing a shit manifesto, but the odds of a hung parliament are long. They'll increase their majority IMO. I just hope it's not a super majority.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

Unless the SNP get into bed with the Tories, because the Tories promise them a new referendum, Cutting Scotland free from the union and giving the Tories power for the next however many decades... just a thought

That's some bad s**t you took there, bro. Step away from the cutlery drawer and have a nice little sit down in the sunshine. Cast those black thoughts aside. Every little thing gonna be alright.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's some bad s**t you took there, bro. Step away from the cutlery drawer and have a nice little sit down in the sunshine. Cast those black thoughts aside. Every little thing gonna be alright.

Yeah I took the blue pills man

• Like 1

If all of those newly registered and previously flakey young people do actually vote, it'll be interesting.

I've a feeling they'll be a much increased turnout in that demographic. I'm cautious about social media, but there is a real buzz about Corbyn that wasn't there for Milliband. He's almost a cult figure for many young people. 

If they turnout in the same amounts of old folk it'll make things interesting. Latest yougov poll if only under 40s voted it would be a Labour majority.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The whole 'politician forgot his figures' gotcha! thing is increasingly tiresome. It doesn't tell anyone anything. It's game playing. Yes it's embarrassing, but for it actually means? They forgot something. Great?

I prefer to think of it as a basic competency test. 

I think that's harsh.

People make mistakes. I've fumbled things in a meeting before now. If that is the hallmark of basic competency there'd be a lot of people getting the sack.

Even more harsh in this case he's not sure of the figure, embarrassing sure, but goes to check to be clear, and gets slaughtered. Nonsense.

And I don't even particularly support the bloke.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I think that's harsh.

People make mistakes. I've fumbled things in a meeting before now. If that is the hallmark of basic competency there'd be a lot of people getting the sack.

Even more harsh in this case he's not sure of the figure, embarrassing sure, but goes to check to be clear, and gets slaughtered. Nonsense.

He was there to talk about that policy, and didn't have the most important figure to hand. And having seen how the media went for Abbott, it should have been drilled into him. It's inexcusable incompetence.

• Like 1

I think that's harsh.

I guess it depends on the context.

In my line of work, if someone asked me, say, "what's your total savings target for the year?" and I didn't know, then they'd be rightly pissed off.

If they asked me "what are you projected savings for November in one of our French sites?" and I didn't know, then it would be understandable and I'd be expected to have to check.

I also think it matters how it's handled. it's much better, imo, to admit not knowing and checking as opposed to just fumbling around and guessing.

I've no idea how this applies to the Corbyn situation as I haven't seen it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

He was there to talk about that policy, and didn't have the most important figure to hand. And having seen how the media went for Abbott, it should have been drilled into him. It's inexcusable incompetence.

I disagree. He's made a embarrassing mistake, forgotten the figure, and had to check. Far from incompetence IMO.

But I understand you're uncharitable. What did you make of Tories errors, like getting HS2 costs tens of billion wrong? Or setting aside under 7p for school breakfasts? That strikes me as far more incompetent. One is a lie, and the other is outright moronic and published.

• Like 2

The figures are out there, in the public domain, fully costed. Sounds very competent to me. How desperate are the Tories to smear Corbyn that they resort to this, when they haven' t  even the decency to show the electorate any costings at all !!!!

12 hours ago, peterms said:

Baring in mind the usual caveats about polls, but interesting all the same:

Is that a coalition of chaos I see before me.....

As bad as the Tories have done I really don't see any way they won't get a majority, Labour will still lose seats.

Imagine if that did happen though....May is a terrible leader but remember the alternatives last summer, Leadsom, Boris and Gove.

Suddenly Hell looks appealing. 

Edited by VillaChris

Corbyn did lie about the fact he had the figures on hand when he didn't. Both leaders have made mistakes but we all know the one reason that stop Labour  is finance, whether or not we can trust them with our money. The mistake in not knowing how much their childcare policy will cost is one that should have bene avolided. 

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess it depends on the context.

In my line of work, if someone asked me, say, "what's your total savings target for the year?" and I didn't know, then they'd be rightly pissed off.

If they asked me "what are you projected savings for November in one of our French sites?" and I didn't know, then it would be understandable and I'd be expected to have to check.

I also think it matters how it's handled. it's much better, imo, to admit not knowing and checking as opposed to just fumbling around and guessing.

I've no idea how this applies to the Corbyn situation as I haven't seen it.

It was a combination of this. He forgot the cost for the policy he was talking about and had to check it. It is embarrassing, but these things happen. He didn't chuck an incorrect figure out, he looked and confirmed it. You also have to bear in mind this against the backdrop of a televised debate the night before that was very important, and in the middle of a campaign with figures everywhere.

I can't call that incompetent. Its a mistake. He shouldn't have made it, but these things happen and he handled it correctly.

• Like 2

It was a combination of this. He forgot the cost for the policy he was talking about and had to check it. It is embarrassing, but these things happen. He didn't chuck an incorrect figure out, he looked and confirmed it. You also have to bear in mind this against the backdrop of a televised debate the night before that was very important, and in the middle of a campaign with figures everywhere.

I can't call that incompetent. Its a mistake. He shouldn't have made it, but these things happen and he handled it correctly.

Telling a lie is handling it correctly?

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Telling a lie is handling it correctly?

Where was the lie? That he had the figures but had to check? And then checked?

Edited by Chindie

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Unless the SNP get into bed with the Tories, because the Tories promise them a new referendum, Cutting Scotland free from the union and giving the Tories power for the next however many decades... just a thought

Weren't the Tories saying Milliband was going to do exactly the same in 2015?

Â