• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I suspect UA forces will fight until the last man, and probably hope that Russia is bankrupt by then.

I was just reading that Europe spends £2.4 Billion a week on Russian gas (paid in Euros), so doesn’t seem like Russia will go bankrupt any time soon.   That’s over £10 billion paid to Russia since the war started.

16 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

🤯

That’s horrendous, if true.

Edited by It's Your Round
I say “if” true, not because I don’t believe it, but more because I’m sat in the car about to go into Tesco, and I haven’t the time to read into it.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Which is a big "if".

I mean it'll be mostly younger folk I guess, and with stuff like Instabook and Facertwit that they use to look at memes and TokTiks and pictures of their dinner having been blocked by the Authorities, they could just be cracking on with doing that through a VPL.

I tried to use a VPL once and was still blocked by the authorities.

The Russian rouble has recovered all its losses and is now worth more than it was before the war started. 

Meanwhile Lavrov is currently in India selling them additional weapons and oil. India are giving Russia access to their version of SWIFT to allow the increased trade between the two countries. 

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The Russian rouble has recovered all its losses and is now worth more than it was before the war started. 

Meanwhile Lavrov is currently in India selling them additional weapons and oil. India are giving Russia access to their version of SWIFT to allow the increased trade between the two countries. 

The Ruble exchange rate is not a meaningful reflection of Russia’s economy.

It stopped being so the second Russia’s central bank severely limited anyone being able to sell the Ruble.

“It is fair to say that the ruble is not a market price,” said Robin Brooks, chief economist at the Institute of International Finance. “If there were a free flow in both directions, we would see a far weaker ruble.”

The WSJ did a good article on this a few days pack. It’s behind a paywall - but you can find the article here if interested:

https://jnews.uk/how-russias-central-bank-engineered-the-rubles-rebound/

25 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The Ruble exchange rate is not a meaningful reflection of Russia’s economy.

It stopped being so the second Russia’s central bank severely limited anyone being able to sell the Ruble.

The WSJ did a good article on this a few days pack. It’s behind a paywall - but you can find the article here if interested:

https://jnews.uk/how-russias-central-bank-engineered-the-rubles-rebound/

The problem is they are finding ways to bypass the West in India and China. Meanwhile Europe is still buying their biggest asset in huge quantities. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The problem is they are finding ways to bypass the West in India and China.

It depends what you mean by bypass.

The "West" is over half of the world's GDP. I'm sure they can function by only trading with the East, but their economy will take years to recover. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Meanwhile Europe is still buying their biggest asset in huge quantities. 

There's no short-term solution to this. Key countries in Europe are over-reliant on Russian energy. These countries would risk recession if they suddenly stopped buying this energy.

However, long-term Russia has lost the EU energy market permanently.

• Like 1

It appears that the 'alpha' group of the foreign legion in UA have been particularly useful in the fighting around Irpin and Kyiv. It consists of many ex-special forces operators from NATO countries. Russian GRU will by now likely be running in the low combat effectiveness % due to sustained casualties. Russia trying to force convicts into their army to balance out their losses. I didn't think they could be more like Nazi Germany.

21 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It appears that the 'alpha' group of the foreign legion in UA have been particularly useful in the fighting around Irpin and Kyiv. It consists of many ex-special forces operators from NATO countries. Russian GRU will by now likely be running in the low combat effectiveness % due to sustained casualties. Russia trying to force convicts into their army to balance out their losses. I didn't think they could be more like Nazi Germany.

You could imagine a load of ex special forces going through conscripts like a knife through butter. 

Would be like watching the Villa Old Stars play a Pub Team. 

50 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

What about the 16k Syrians that have been called up to join the fight? Must be a cause of concern? 

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Zelensky released prisoners willing to fight didn’t he?

Yes, Ukraine did the fighting prisoner thing on day 1.

I’m finding myself constantly looking negative as I’m constantly trying to give balance. So I’m going to duck out and just be a reader of the happy tweets about liberated tanks.

Â