Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Total military no, but military that can be deployed without spreading dangerously thin elsewhere? Yes.  Units are now being deployed to fight in Ukraine from occupied territories of Georgia. 

Ukraine can still win this outright, if the west holds its collective nerve and doesn’t try to push Ukraine into too many concessions.  

What I haven't heard much of is the fact that we may be breeding a Russian anti western terrorist movement. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

like everything , reports seem to differ , but i took  this article as my source  

Whilst this may be technically true, I really, really doubt she'll face anything serious.

She's giving public press conferences for the global media FFS

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

What I haven't heard much of is the fact that we may be breeding a Russian anti western terrorist movement. 

Me neither. Funny that. 

1.42 into this video you see a verified Ukrainian artillery barrage hitting a reported 20 targets in less than 10 secs inside a forested area. The amount of training that goes into this sort of thing shows that Ukraine must have some very elite artillerymen.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is true, but do the last couple of days stack up, given what we know of how other dissidents have been treated in Russia?

I'd have expected her to be detained and silenced until the criminal trial

yeah , on the back of @bickster cynicism I've been reading a few articles as i couldn't pass up the chance to prove him wrong :) 

there does seem to be a few questions in the whole thing  , not least that Ksenia Sobchak appears to have posted different camera angles of it on her telegram channel ( i've not verified this though) 

Ovsyannikova’s protest may have been coordinated at the very least: several recordings of what was happening from different angles at once were posted in Sobchak's Telegram channel "Caution, the news," including behind the scenes, i.e. the moment when Ovsyannikova ran with a poster to the studio. This may suggest that Ovsyannikova was not acting alone, and had informed either confederates or at least collaborators to her stunt.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whilst this may be technically true, I really, really doubt she'll face anything serious.

that seems to be the general view  being reported ,  which i guess also fuels some of the general  cynicism 

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean, it isn't just 1 TV protest is it?

It's front page news literally everywhere. Not many stories cause that level of publicity.

If it was a stunt, it's worked perfectly.

Yes but my point is it's had no impact on public attitudes afaics. I agree it's global news, and I also agree it's very much Putin's style to allow faux "dissent"... and if she gets away with a trivial punishment long-term then that would be cause for suspicion.

I just think it's not that unlikely that it was also a legitimate protest. And we would probably have heard more from Western intelligence sources on this if they thought it was a psy op.

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah , on the back of @bickster cynicism I've been reading a few articles as i couldn't pass up the chance to prove him wrong :) 

there does seem to be a few questions in the whole thing  , not least that Ksenia Sobchak appears to have posted different camera angles of it on her telegram channel ( i've not verified this though) 

That could also indicate coordination with other elites in Russia who are sceptical about the war?

Clearly there is more to this than meets the eye, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's on Team Putin.

Edit: my point isn't that the conspiracy theory is wrong. I'm just not sure how people are so confident that it must definitely be true.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

1.42 into this video you see a verified Ukrainian artillery barrage hitting a reported 20 targets in less than 10 secs inside a forested area. The amount of training that goes into this sort of thing shows that Ukraine must have some very elite artillerymen.

I still don't believe they are controlling many of the drones. They cannot have this sort of elite training for drones they have only recently received.

Worrying that this military guy thinks it's only a matter of time until Nato join in this "special operation". Can't see it myself, unless ofcourse China start helping out and the invasion takes a considerable step up with Russia starting on another country notable with Nato connections.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I still don't believe they are controlling many of the drones. They cannot have this sort of elite training for drones they have only recently received.

Worrying that this military guy thinks it's only a matter of time until Nato join in this "special operation". Can't see it myself, unless ofcourse China start helping out and the invasion takes a considerable step up with Russia starting on another country notable with Nato connections.

This isn't a drone attack. It's an artillery barrage, likely from within 15 miles of this forest using howitzers and other stationed artillery pieces. They're likely getting flooded with intel from NATO about where Russia hid their tanks, then they push the artillery pieces into position during the night and fire early am. It's a routine we also had in the RA back in the 70's, albeit with much much less enemy intel.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why? I may be misremembering, but I thought they had already bought a couple from Turkey before this all started? You'd think being trained to use them would be part of the deal.

What is it that has made you think the actual operation of the drones must be 'elite'? It seems to me to be more a case of having excellent intelligence and plans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Why? I may be misremembering, but I thought they had already bought a couple from Turkey before this all started? You'd think being trained to use them would be part of the deal.

What is it that has made you think the actual operation of the drones must be 'elite'? It seems to me to be more a case of having excellent intelligence and plans.

They had ten before this kicked off, they were down to six at some point but Turkey delivered another 50 we we lead to believe.

But yes, the Ukrainians were using  them well before the war

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Worrying that this military guy thinks it's only a matter of time until Nato join in this "special operation". 

It’s impossible. His comments are insane. NATO will simply not entertain combat involvement with the RF.

I’m not even convinced NATO would get involved if a single attack happened on a NATO country, I’m sure they’d find away to convince themselves it was a one off mistake or something. 

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s impossible. His comments are insane. NATO will simply not entertain combat involvement with the RF.

I’m not even convinced NATO would get involved if a single attack happened on a NATO country, I’m sure they’d find away to convince themselves it was a one off mistake or something. 

I agree.

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Anyone signing up to Homes for Ukraine scheme?

The Government are offering to pay takers £350/month rent.

Local authorities will be given £10k per refugee.

Yeah, we've put ourselves on the list - doubt we'll actually be used, looks like lots of people want to help and the notorious slowness of UK gov to process people will probably mean most are headed home due to the end of the war, before they're actually offered a place to live here. TBF most will want to stay in Europe anyway closer to home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It could also be the case that she was legit but has been treated leniently because of how high profile she now is and the Russians see it as a propaganda win to treat her well. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Well,that would encourage Putin.no end.

Â