Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Um…he was bluffing. He said he wasn’t going to invade. Sorry, rest of the post spot on, just minor pedantry on my part.

You know what I mean! 😂

• Haha 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

Problem is that Putin’s replacement probably won’t be any better.  Can you see the next person wanting to look weak and completely pull out of Ukraine after taking it over under Putin.  That the leader is so weak it cowardly moves out because the West said so.  Doesn’t sound very Russian does it?  

Does worry me that once they are in, despite all the sanctions, no Russian leader whether Putin or the next one will want to lose face.

Which is why the sanctions need to basically raze their economy to the ground.
 Short of all out war it’s all that can be done.

ukraine will fall to the Russians.

as someone pointed out on Twitter it does highlight that NATO whilst a defensive alliance offers no value to those not involved with it.

and I’m not so sure what would happen should Russia dip their toe against a NATO member  

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I understand and knew some of your points although not all of it is correct.  At the end of the day, the current way means Russia gets Ukraine.

I guess that is the known but not talked about acceptance of this invasion by Russia.

Fair enough Nick, let’s talk about that then. Which bits (apart from the correction by @blandy) are incorrect? 

I dont know if anyonw has seen it on social media but villa have changed their profile pic with  a Ukrainian flag and a majority of the comments are "we stand with russia" and praising putin etc

Its actually quite bizarre

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Behind the scenes nato will be thinking, "let the Russians take Ukraine, it won't be the end of the world". So to speak.

More like “without external intervention, Russia will take Ukraine despite our efforts” which I understand the view given it would likely mean conflict leading to WW3.  It’s been the case for days, probably since the start of it and what we have done is delay it a bit but very likely the same end result.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont know if anyonw has seen it on social media but villa have changed their profile pic with  a Ukrainian flag and a majority of the comments are "we stand with russia" and praising putin etc

Think it’s a coordinated premier league thing today, Dem.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adman said:

The people at the top will always be rich and powerful. I just can't imagine a woman being in charge of a massacre, as mother's they tend to have a much more innate appreciation of the value of human life IMO.  

I get what you mean but women =\= mothers. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's crazy, cos cool is the wrong word but it's so watchable and I have a wry smile because it's Ukranian guys winning vs the Russians but at the end of the day it's still young men being sent to do the bidding of someone else

I get the ‘poor Russian conscripts’ argument but they are now killing civilians by the 1000, shelling entire cities to rubble. I’ll save my sympathy for them and wish the Russians a painless passing.

…Not just helicopters either. If the Russian Air Force is being pressured to get more involved during daylight the Ukrainians can really start getting at them. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

More like “without external intervention, Russia will take Ukraine despite our efforts” which I understand the view given it would likely mean conflict leading to WW3.  It’s been the case for days, probably since the start of it and what we have done is delay it a bit but very likely the same end result.

It'll only turn into WW3, if Nato, or the US enter into that no fly zone and start shooting down aircraft, or Russia start on a Nato country. But by that time hopefully Russia will be skint and weak.

We need to understand owning nuclear weapons are the deterrent. You have to not just tempt, but as good as force a country to use them. They are off the table until.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Russian Cyber Bots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Twitter is just a cesspit though. 

There will be lots of trolls/bots on there as well I imagine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yep let’s wait until Putin has taken over the Ukraine completely instead 🙄

No, let's just not have a no-fly zone. Let's try to make sure that all of the actions we undertake have the least possibility of escalation.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Also pre-emptive? Guess you’ve been asleep for the last 10 days 😂

I'm really not sure you know what 'escalation' means, but it means 'making the situation more serious (worse)', not 'there is no situation at all'.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, choffer said:

Heartened and terrified in equal measure at the talks of a temporary ceasefire to let people out of the country. So pleased if they get a chance to flee but the implication (as far as Putin will be concerned) is that you had your chance to go so if you’re still there you’re fair game. There’s going to be so many dead in the coming weeks. Horrifying. 

Been cancelled because Russia just keeps shelling and shooting, they never complied with it at any stage. At least in Mariupol. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Been cancelled because Russia just keeps shelling and shooting, they never complied with it at any stage. At least in Mariupol. 

That's really sad. I'm not sure if it tells us more about Russian organisation or Russian intent, but it must be soul destroying to those trying to get kids to safety.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Russian Cyber Bots. 

Nah, more likely the recent fans we picked up in North Africa. 

China has also banned the showing of any Premier League matches in China this weekend because of the coordinated show of support for Ukraine. 

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah. The PL said they were going to do it, so the Russian troll farms were sparked into action.

It’s not just bots. Putin has large support in quite a few regions around the world. We are exposed to a very pro western side of this but a bit of digging and you see a very different narrative. 

This was Belgrade last night for example. 

Â