• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Ukraine will end up split, either with a demilitarized zone separating the "independent states" from the rest of Ukraine, or even with a wall ala Germany after WWII.

I expect this was Putin’s goal all along. He can’t have expected to subjugate the entirety of a country that big. 

Putin will get the huge natural gas reserves in the East of the country and control the access to the Black Sea in the South. He’ll also have the “buffer” between the NATO states.

I think he underestimated the West’s co-ordinated response/ sanctions and under-estimated Zelenskyy too.

I imagine we’ll get a ceasefire relatively shortly (hopefully), fingers crossed it doesn’t take the Russians shelling the shit out of Kharkiv and Kiev (but I’m worried it might).

The Western sanctions will probably end there. European energy strategy and Ukraine’s borders will change, and little else.

• Like 1

Isn't the issue - that you have NATO countries - then you have Russian countries and countries it controls.

But you also have countries whose are neither in NATO - nor are they Russian. Everytime one of those countries falls to Russia the west gets jumpy -conversley every time one of those countries makes overtures about joining NATO or even the EU Russia gets jumpy ?

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I expect this was Putin’s goal all along. He can’t have expected to subjugate the entirety of a country that big. 

Putin will get the huge natural gas reserves in the East of the country and control the access to the Black Sea in the South. He’ll also have the “buffer” between the NATO states.

I think he underestimated the West’s co-ordinated response/ sanctions and under-estimated Zelenskyy too.

I imagine we’ll get a ceasefire relatively shortly (hopefully), fingers crossed it doesn’t take the Russians shelling the shit out of Kharkiv and Kiev (but I’m worried it might).

The Western sanctions will probably end there. European energy strategy and Ukraine’s borders will change, and little else.

The nightmare scenario - is that a state of war remains with the current split into two - but no ceasefire.

Russia will take a breather - the west arms Ukraine to the hilt .......an uneasy and very high stakes truce.......whilst the world's holds its breath.

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Well one thing about the ethinicity chat is that Stalin did a whole lot of **** on that score. He ethnically cleansed Crimea in 1946, and other places before and after. The idea that Crimea is "Russian" ignores the fact that the indigenous people all got taken to Siberia and put in camps or were made to make the road of bones and other such fun stuff.

Same with loads of these places that get touted as having x% russian speaking populations. It's happened inside the last 80 years and it was done by force. 

Also, Holodomor was unforgiveable. 

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

India is going to have to make a monumental decision sooner or later.

It’s not Russia who is working to help them balance against Chinese aggression. 

36 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

The type of thing you'd see on an episode of South Park

Not gonna happen.

The UAE have spent the last two decades trying to attract westerners.

China didn’t back Russia recently when they had the chance to do so.

Saudi Arabia are entirely tied up financially with the west.

India is a bizarre one, Pakistan maybe but even that’s massively doubtful.

That leaves Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and Ethiopia (of those listed). The west will be quaking in their boots.

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Also, Holodomor was unforgiveable. 

Stalin killed as many Ukrainians as Hitler killed Jews. Then Hitler killed more Ukrainians fir good measure. Shouldn’t surprise anyone these people aren’t rolling over given their cultural memory. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Take his **** Gas. Let the world go big on heat pumps, solar panels and wind turbines.  He's called armageddon over Betamax the fcuwit.

Vitaliy Mykolenko has lashed out at the perceived silence of Russian footballers in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine.

The Everton defender claimed that Russia's captain Artem Dzyuba will be "locked away in a dungeon" for the rest of his life.

Russia were this week expelled from the upcoming World Cup playoffs, as FIFA belatedly responded to the invasion.

The EU have also seized assets of oligarchs with links to Russian president Vladimir Putin, including prominent Everton sponsor Alisher Usmanov.

But after sharing videos of a Russian attack on Kharkiv, Mykolenko issued a strongly-worded message for Russia's footballers who have failed to speak out against Putin.

"Whilst you remain silent bastards, along with your shithead football team-mates, peaceful civilians are being killed in Ukraine," wrote the former Dynamo Kiev player in his native language.

"You will be locked in your dungeon for the rest of your life and most importantly the lives of your kids. And I'm glad."

Mykolenko also shared a video, in which he and a number of fellow Ukrainian footballers urged the footballing world to help stop the invasion of their homeland.

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/evertons-mykolenko-blasts-silent-russian-footballers-following-invasion-1317163?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR08fpTbNCnM_2ehfKGzeOjjTV1ggy2_pcYB7WlnpeoVEGYNsPQ6NL3cHoQ#Echobox=1646157755-2

I do think a lot of the Russian athletes are in a tough spot especially for family members back home, e.g. Artemi Panarin from New York Rangers who has been critical of Putin and supports Navalny is wanted in Russia for allegedly assaulting a teenager

Â