Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Wonder if there'll be more scrutiny of the large energy companies' part in making sure we're still addicted to gas and oil, half a century past their sell by date?

Edited by Xann
  • Like 3

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I actually don’t think I can fully comprehend what’s happening. Like, I’m not sure the human brain can process it nor can I put into words how utterly insane all of this is. And for what? Why do thousands of men, women and children need to die? Why? 

Like, what the f*** is actually happening? Ukrainians are being slaughtered for absolutely no reason other than the will of one psychopath in Moscow. Why does this have to happen again? Have we not learnt our lesson? 

Ukraine haven’t a hope in hell here (literally) so what are their soldiers doing? I know what they’re doing, they’re fighting until inevitable death. 

It makes me wonder why I brought children into this world. I’ve had a good life, I don’t really care about dying (albeit I’d rather live) but why do children have to witness this. Thousands will die.

Why. Why. Why. Just stop it. 

It's made the more sad/rediculous when weve just faced Covid globally collectively.

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So what would be the military or political significance of gaining control of a knackered old nuclear power station? Is it just to get attention? Is it to use it as some kind of threat?

I would guess its an effort from Ukraine to shock the west into action.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As a kid in college in the 1980’s I wrote a whole term’s work on the need to get out of oil dependency and build twin industries based on the renewables around us and greater insulation.

Forty years of politicians mugging us off. The latest excuse being people are upset by protestors blocking the M25 so now we can’t be seen to act.

Imagine, 40 years of investment in renewables and energy efficiency rather than 40 years of investment in more and more treacherous drilling and piping.

The only power he has over us is our own stupidity and short sightedness.

But wouldn't that upset a whole different applecart. ? - Move away from oil a lot of countries loose a revenue supply. 

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So what would be the military or political significance of gaining control of a knackered old nuclear power station? Is it just to get attention? Is it to use it as some kind of threat?

Guy on telly was saying this might be Ukrainian for a lack of better word, propaganda. As in they know that anything Chernobyl will get a lot of attention from foreign media. Not that media is ignoring the situation but as always there is a propaganda war where both sides might not be entirely truthful.

So there is no confusion here Russia are in the wrong of course.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It’s on the most direct route to Kyiv from Belarus and has good roads - the surrounding area is marsh land. Take Chernobyl and they can push through an armoured thrust to join an assault on Kyiv. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

1/3rd of their Gas comes from Russia. Which is why Putin knows the West can't do much. 

Hard as it is to say it but he's won this round. Ukraine is gone now, it's a Russian puppet state ala Belarus. Just need co ordination from the West to slowly cripple the Russian economy. It will take years but that's all we can do.

All the other countries in Europe on the border are part of Nato so if he attacks then he's at war with the entire Western World 

Mmm have you seen the troop numbers in the surrounding UN countries? I have just seen 5000 more being sent to Poland. Not very threatening. As with any bully they will push until they are stopped. Putin has made it clear he wants UN membership to go back to its pre 1997 levels, that's Poland , Croatia and plenty of other east European countries that are being threatened, I'm not sure this will finish with the Ukraine, I hope it will but unless large forces are stationed on the border I can see incursions. Worrying times. 

It was shameful when Germany refused to allow the export of weapons to Ukraine, then they got huge kudos for halting certification on an extra pipeline that doesn’t affect their supply of gas. Now they are trying to keep Russia on SWIFT.  

Just now, Awol said:

It was shameful when Germany refused to allow the export of weapons to Ukraine, then they got huge kudos for halting certification on an extra pipeline that doesn’t affect their supply of gas. Now they are trying to keep Russia on SWIFT.  

Putin has them over a barrel. 

44 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Silence from the Germans is defeaning. One of the biggest importers of Russian gas. 

In the UK maybe but they have put out an official statement which will just be lost in the international noise (I haven't got a clue what France said for example) chancellor had held talks with Boris too

More in bed with the Russians though 

Not only one of the biggest importers but at the same time one of the most dependent, they have more ties to Russia than the UK or US, its not just financial stuff

They've stopped this huge pipeline project which is a big decision 

Â