Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

47 minutes ago, Awol said:

What’s the source on that mate? 

I just selected Tony's text "British intercepted a coded message to Moscow from one of its listening posts in Cyprus" and googled it and got a whole bunch of  links, Awol.

They point to, the Sunday Express reporting it.

On the day of the poisonings, March 4, one was sent from a location near Damascus in Syria to “an official” in Moscow including the phrase ‘the package has been delivered” and saying that two individuals had “made a successful egress”. 

This prompted a young Flight Lieutenant to recall a separate message that had been intercepted and discounted on the previous day. 

What it said has not been revealed but sources say it became relevant once the Skripals were attacked. 

The intercepts were automatically shared with the Government communications headquarters GCHQ in Cheltenham.

more on link, though not anything of major  revelation

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, Awol said:

What’s the source on that mate? 

I read it on Flipboard so can’t rem the exact source , will try and find it , but arse also referenced it on one of their threads 

of course our Russian agent blogger friend Mr Murray has already blamed it on a  mistranslation :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Awol said:

The Russian ambassador to Lebanon has stated that if any missiles are fired at Syrian targets in response to the latest chemical weapons attack they will shoot them down and directly target the firing platforms (aircraft, ships, subs). Basically he’s threatening war against the West. 

I suspect that’s a very ballsy bluff, but ramps things up to the point the US cannot really back down without a massive loss of face and a huge PR win for Moscow. 

. . . or, to put a different spin on it, 'suggests that in addition to being illegal in domestic and international law, launching missiles at Syria would also be a stupid idea as a potential trigger for a World War 3'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blandy said:

I just selected Tony's text "British intercepted a coded message to Moscow from one of its listening posts in Cyprus" and googled it and got a whole bunch of  links, Awol.

They point to, the Sunday Express reporting it.

more on link, though not anything of major  revelation

That's not a source. That's a media outlet reporting what they've been told. Second hand information at best or outright propaganda at worst.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villakram said:

That's not a source. That's a media outlet reporting what they've been told. Second hand information at best or outright propaganda at worst.

Totally. And of all the papers - the Express - it's not a paper, it's an unthinking UKIP propoganda rag.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villakram said:

The express wasn't the source that I got it from tbf

there is an element that  it doesn't sound true  , i.e Why Damascus to Moscow  ..  would the people in Cyprus have the know how to decipher it  , but the article said that it wasn't just British intelligence that intercepted it , other countries had as well and appear to have reached the same conclusion that we allegedly did  ..hence why (or at least a part of the why)  they were willing to back us on our action

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . or, to put a different spin on it, 'suggests that in addition to being illegal in domestic and international law, launching missiles at Syria would also be a stupid idea as a potential trigger for a World War 3'

presumably the reason for the warning is so Russia can get all it's people and hardware out the way and then the US can throw a shit loads of missiles at some buildings and goats whilst appearing  tough to the watching crowd

• Like 1

Surprised it's taken then this long to work it out. They just needed to check the rota to see that Dave was on propaganda spy killing that day, and he loves some exotic Russian nerve cocktails.

22 minutes ago, Awol said:

OPCW confirm substance used in attempted assassination of Sergei Skripal was Novichok. 

Over to Craig Murray...

I admit I'm not following this as forensically as I could be so may well be wrong, but I didn't think that "what the substance was" is really disputed, even amongst the wilder and more fringe theories about what happened, no?

On 4/9/2018 at 07:25, blandy said:

That’s quite profound. I like it. Apparently no two democracies have ever gone to war against each other, and now that (sort of) international money has usurped democracy, maybe you’re right.

Yep, jut get yourself down to Knightsbridge.  All the Russians going about their shopping in Harrods could be used as posh human shields.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

OPCW confirm substance used in attempted assassination of Sergei Skripal was Novichok. 

Over to Craig Murray...

Well, as of yesterday the daughter, Yulia,  he claims has been essentially kidnapped (held incommunicado against her will and under duress) by the authorities and the statement she made she didn't make, someone else did. So I imagine that he will parrot the Russian line and say the OPCW findings aren't valid because Russia didn't make them and it's all a conspiracy (I mean, isn't everything?)

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well, as of yesterday the daughter, Yulia,  he claims has been essentially kidnapped (held incommunicado against her will and under duress) by the authorities and the statement she made she didn't make, someone else did. So I imagine that he will parrot the Russian line and say the OPCW findings aren't valid because Russia didn't make them and it's all a conspiracy (I mean, isn't everything?)

Yup, poor fella is off the deep end.

Also worth remembering Russia had never even heard of Novichok before Paddington Bear (freelancing for MI6) put it in Skripal’s marmalade. 

Furry little Peruvian b******. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I admit I'm not following this as forensically as I could be so may well be wrong, but I didn't think that "what the substance was" is really disputed, even amongst the wilder and more fringe theories about what happened, no?

Russia denied Novichok (a Russian word) even existed, or if it did it, was certainly nothing to do with them, or the defector scientists who invented it in and for Russia, before fleeing to the West with the recipes...

It’s important that an independent body has said the UK was correct as regards the chemistry of the substance used, it won’t quieten the fruitier parts of the internet but closes off another avenue of evasion i.e. the UK is lying about the type of substance, or there was no substance at all, or ad Infinitum BS....

OPCW’s remit was only to ID the substance, not get involved with attribution. UK allies seem utterly convinced by the intelligence they’ve been shown on that front. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

What would you say is the optimum TV window for the US to do this in for maximum impact?

I suspect breakfast numbers would be lower at the weekend, so maybe Saturday teatime?

A quick phone call to Fox will give the General in charge his orders

"Launch at 18:05 but if you could make sure there's no impact before 18:22 as that's when we come back from an ad break"

• Like 1

Â