17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to admit Fulham were not that great last night. Leeds were so poor, Fulham took advantage of Leeds mistake just like they did against us. Fulham punish you on your mistakes and play excellent counter attacking football. I think defensively they are not great. they are beatable in a  one off game for me.

its very unlikely we will be playing fulham in  a two legged game 

Would what play off rival fans make of us v Hull and Bolton I wonder?

It's not a league where you can be amazing for 40 odd games.

From what I've seen Fulham have been on an excellent level for three months and that should be seriously respected as it's not easy down here.

• Like 2

I'm an advocat of resting players but do it against manageable oppositon like last night.

So looking at it Leeds and Ipswich are the best games as they are both mediocre teams now.

Bring back our main 11 for Derby and Millwall as we could be playing either/both in the play offs so don't want to lose either game and give them a mental advantage.

I'm pretty sure we are not allowed to rotate much after a certain game this month as it is against the rules. A new one that was introduced this year to prevent teams with nothing to play for from rotating their whole squad.

• Like 1

Doesn't bother me if we have to play in the playoff final to be honest. Assuming we get there. With the squad and experience we have we should be able to beat anyone in a one off game like that with a lot of pressure on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

We can't worry about players getting injured. It's part of football and it happens. I'd rather we played into some good form than just wrap everyone up in cotton wool and hope they don't get injured in training.

If we are to play into in form then we need our best players on the pitch. It's that simple for me. We need to go into the play offs as the form team in the division and resting key players won't help us achieve that.

I disagree but looks like w ecant do what i wnat anyway as there has been a rule change. i think terry with his age is the one i would consider resting for the play offs 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We won't get second.

That hope ended on the night of the QPR game.

I don't think it's beyond the realms though that Fulham could yet get second though as can see Cardiff dropping more points.

I agree this time with OFTR analysis.

I don't want to play Fulham at any stage in the play offs as I fear they'll beat us as they're a blooming good team.

If Cardiff miss out now though even Warnock would struggle to get them up for the play offs.

So if we can get through the semi final I reckon we'd be playing the sixth place team at Wembley. Still not easy but I'd take that right now.

I respect that view but it’s too dogmatic for me.

We aren’t talking needing miracles, we only need 3 results to go our way this weekend and it’s almost neck and neck for 2nd. 

Obviously Cardiff are favourites, that’s basic maths, but it’s not sewn up, not by a long way.

• Like 2

Wolves beat Cardiff. 

Villa beat Norwich. 

Villa beat Cardiff. 

Fulham win both their games.

Fulham 81

Cardiff 80 (game in hand)

Villa 79

4 games to go. We will regret not winning one of the last 3 games we stuffed up. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're pretty much guaranteed play-offs now with our GD acting as an extra point.
All we need to do now is avoid 6th, as whoever finishes 3rd will beat us over two legs. 

Allegedly they say 3rd rarely goes up.

maybe they are still nursing their emotions for not finishing second and feeling sorry for themselves.

The others maybe so relieved and relaxed they made the Oasis.....enhances their game.

funny ole game football.

5 minutes ago, KSV said:

Wolves beat Cardiff. 

Villa beat Norwich. 

Villa beat Cardiff. 

Fulham win both their games.

Fulham 81

Cardiff 80 (game in hand)

Villa 79

4 games to go. We will regret not winning one of the last 3 games we stuffed up. 

That would hopefully mean a villa Cardiff playoff final. I'd take that atm!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Allegedly they say 3rd rarely goes up.

maybe they are still nursing their emotions for not finishing second and feeling sorry for themselves.

The others maybe so relieved and relaxed they made the Oasis.....enhances their game.

funny ole game football.

Id say it's got more to do with momentum!  

The quality difference is rarely that much and the bottom teams can't take their foot off the accelerator.

In the playoffs....I want to play a team that plays football, i think we have a better chance with a full team.

its the scrappers or physical sides i fear like Cardiff and Millwall if they make it.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

the game could have been so different had leeds scored that 1 on 1 and then went up to score.

fulham have three key players cairney, sessagnon and mitrovic. none of them have picked up long term injuries. in fact i think fulham have been lucky with injuries all season. if 2 of those 3 players were injured together they would struggle i think. i would rather have cardiff in play offs than fulham though mind you because when fulham are good themy can tear any team apart.

cardiff i hate everything they represent bully, crap hoofball. 

Didn’t cairney miss the first 17 games hence their poor start?

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

In the playoffs....I want to play a team that plays football, i think we have a better chance with a full team.

its the scrappers or physical sides i fear like Cardiff and Millwall if they make it.

If the choice is Fulham or Cardiff  it's Cardiff every time!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Id say it's got more to do with momentum!  

The quality difference is rarely that much and the bottom teams can't take their foot off the accelerator.

Feasible enough, yeah.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Didn’t cairney miss the first 17 games hence their poor start?

i think he did.....but its not relevant.....its all about the manager.

jjjjjjjuuuuussssstttttt kiiiidddddiiiinnnngggg.

43 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Doesn't bother me if we have to play in the playoff final to be honest. Assuming we get there. With the squad and experience we have we should be able to beat anyone in a one off game like that with a lot of pressure on it.

We could win or lose against anyone - depends which villa turn up on the day 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wouldn’t fancy either over 2 legs as both very intimidating places to visit but over a one off game I’d fancy it far more 

• Like 1