17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Allegedly they say 3rd rarely goes up.

maybe they are still nursing their emotions for not finishing second and feeling sorry for themselves.

The others maybe so relieved and relaxed they made the Oasis.....enhances their game.

funny ole game football.

Not true. I crunched the numbers a while back (about "3rd rarely going up" that is, they very well may "allegedly" say so ;)):

On 3/9/2018 at 21:10, fightoffyour said:

Yes, the higher finishers have a greater chance of promotion through the play-offs, historically. Since they were introduced the 1988/89 season, the promoted team has finished in the following positions:

3rd - 10/29 = 34.5%

4th -  8/29  = 27.6%

5th -  6/29  = 20.7%

6th -  5/29  = 17.2%

*I believe the positions were shifted +1 in these stats for the 94/95 season (e.g. 2nd then counted as 3rd here, the top play-off spot), when there was only 1 automatic promotion (2 total) to the Premier League, as the number of teams was cut from 22 to 20.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I respect that view but it’s too dogmatic for me.

We aren’t talking needing miracles, we only need 3 results to go our way this weekend and it’s almost neck and neck for 2nd. 

Obviously Cardiff are favourites, that’s basic maths, but it’s not sewn up, not by a long way.

Let’s see how their players handle the last 5 games when the pressure could be immense 

• Like 1

Fulham also have the hurt and experience of the playoffs to call on. Cardiff all day for me in the playoffs. Warnock can say all he wants that they are in bonus territory etc but they have been 2nd for ages now. If they get pipped at the post they might not be able to lift themselves mentally.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Not true. I crunched the numbers a while back (about "3rd rarely going up" that is, they very well may "allegedly" say so ;)):

*I believe the positions were shifted +1 in these stats for the 94/95 season (e.g. 2nd then counted as 3rd here, the top play-off spot), when there was only 1 automatic promotion (2 total) to the Premier League, as the number of teams was cut from 22 to 20.

That still means 3rd only goes up on average once every 3 years .

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Fulham also have the hurt and experience of the playoffs to call on. Cardiff all day for me in the playoffs. Warnock can say all he wants that they are in bonus territory etc but they have been 2nd for ages now. If they get pipped at the post they might not be able to lift themselves mentally.

Fulham were most peoples favourites last season in the play offs and they blew it v reading in the semi .

lets hope they crack under pressure if they are in them 

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

That still means 3rd only goes up on average once every 3 years .

I replied to "3rd rarely goes up". They go up 1/3rd (nice) of the time, more than any other of the positions. That can't be called "rarely" by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Fair enough.....I thought i read it somewhere.

nothing like a fact, to sort it out.

cheers

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Fulham were most peoples favourites last season in the play offs and they blew it v reading in the semi .

lets hope they crack under pressure if they are in them 

Personally i thought they absolutely doninated reading over two legs and ultimately lost out to a ridiculous penalty call. Difference this year is that they are far more potent up top and targett is better than malone at FB. Dont wanna play them.

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I replied to "3rd rarely goes up". They go up 1/3rd (nice) of the time, more than any other of the positions. That can't be called "rarely" by any stretch of the imagination.

Rarely maybe not but the majority of the time they don’t :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Personally i thought they absolutely doninated reading over two legs and ultimately lost out to a ridiculous penalty call. Difference this year is that they are far more potent up top and targett is better than malone at FB. Dont wanna play them.

I wouldnt want to play then either - hopefully whoever progresses in the play offs it won’t be down to a dodgy referees decision ( although if in our favour I’d take it )

Edited by Eastie

It would be great if Fulham dropped points against Sheff Wed, Cardiff against Wolves and we beat Norwich and Cardiff but more than likely we will struggle against Norwich and I can see Cardiff beating Wolves. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Wouldn’t fancy either over 2 legs as both very intimidating places to visit but over a one off game I’d fancy it far more 

But so is Villa Park, in fact i would go and saw when villa park is rocking none of them come close 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But so is Villa Park, in fact i would go and saw when villa park is rocking none of them come close 

Of course - ultimately it all comes down to who performs on the day .

lets hope it is us ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

It would be great if Fulham dropped points against Sheff Wed, Cardiff against Wolves and we beat Norwich and Cardiff but more than likely we will struggle against Norwich and I can see Cardiff beating Wolves. 

if this happens I'll believe in automatic again. About time those bastards start losing a little and us going on a run again. come on Villa, we have literally everything to play for!

46 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Whilst we're wishing for stuff....let's all hope Wolves totally implode and end up in the play offs....hopefully losing agonisingly in the final....shut them idiot fans up once and for all!

Wolves could potentially lose every game from now on and still go up automatically. 

Wolves are up. We are in the play offs. 

Those two statements are 100% certain in my view.

1 hour ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Whilst we're wishing for stuff....let's all hope Wolves totally implode and end up in the play offs....hopefully losing agonisingly in the final....shut them idiot fans up once and for all!

Except for beating Cardiff.

2 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Just glad we got back to winning ways last night, need momentum going into the POs. Forget about top 2, I think Cardiff will beat Wolves anyway and that'll pretty much be that. 

Wolves will want to secure the title as it's prestige. I think they'll give it their everything that game because it's essentially the last truly important game they have. I expect and hope to see Wolves come out as winners in that fixture.

• Like 1