17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I think that we'd beat Fulham in the final but not over two legs in the semis.

I think we'd beat any of the teams below us over two legs.

Let's hope Fulham finish 4th with us in 3rd then ;)

13 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Just imagine how Cardiff would feel if they lost 2nd place now!

It'd be good for us if they did. It would mean we wouldn't have to play Fulham in the play offs and I'd fancy our chances at Wembley against a dejected Cardiff. (Supposing we both won our semi finals)

Can't see it though, they have a good cushion with only a few games left and they seem to keep finding results.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

Almost certainly playoffs but...

If Wolves beat Cardiff and Villa beat Norwich at the weekend and then, if we beat Cardiff on Tuesday we'll be one point behind them by this time next week.

A lot of 'Ifs' but not outside the realms of possibility.

Then it would be a 3-way shootout between Villa, Cardiff and Fulham for the second auto slot.

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

It'd be good for us if they did. It would mean we wouldn't have to play Fulham in the play offs and I'd fancy our chances at Wembley against a dejected Cardiff. (Supposing we both won our semi finals)

Can't see it though, they have a good cushion with only a few games left and they seem to keep finding results.

Fulham could be in 2nd -lace by Tuesday night - can see wolves and villa beating Cardiff , the problem is will fulham slip up from here ?

2 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

If Wolves beat Cardiff and Villa beat Norwich at the weekend and then, if we beat Cardiff on Tuesday we'll be one point behind them by this time next week.

Then it would be a 3-way shootout between Villa, Cardiff and Fulham for the second auto slot.

This is a great theory but I'm incredibly skeptical about our chances of beating Norwich let alone Cardiff. If Cardiff beat Wolves they will be level on points at the top. 

Have to admit Fulham were not that great last night. Leeds were so poor, Fulham took advantage of Leeds mistake just like they did against us. Fulham punish you on your mistakes and play excellent counter attacking football. I think defensively they are not great. they are beatable in a  one off game for me.

its very unlikely we will be playing fulham in  a two legged game 

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to admit Fulham were not that great last night. Leeds were so poor, Fulham took advantage of Leeds mistake just like they did against us. Fulham punish you on your mistakes and play excellent counter attacking football. I think defensively they are not great. they are beatable in a  one off game for me.

They seem to have hit an unstoppable form. They're not going to keep this up forever, especially looking at the beginning of the season. Sure, they're a very good team but just as capable of banana skidding and losing momentum as any other team. I would fancy our chances against them or any other team over two legs.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

18 games unbeaten so they are doing something right - I thought they pissed all over Leeds last night personally

i think fulham will catch Cardiff  , if we catch Fulham then I will be very happy indeed .

villa v Fulham play off final for me would be 50/50 chance - anyone else I would fancy our chances far more .

Edited by Eastie

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

18 games unbeaten so they are doing something right - I thought they pissed all over Leeds last night personally

i think fulham will catch Cardiff  , if we catch Fulham then I will be very happy indeed .

villa v Fulham play off final for me would be 50/50 chance - anyone else I would fancy our chances far more .

the game could have been so different had leeds scored that 1 on 1 and then went up to score.

fulham have three key players cairney, sessagnon and mitrovic. none of them have picked up long term injuries. in fact i think fulham have been lucky with injuries all season. if 2 of those 3 players were injured together they would struggle i think. i would rather have cardiff in play offs than fulham though mind you because when fulham are good themy can tear any team apart.

cardiff i hate everything they represent bully, crap hoofball. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Except Fulham will most likely be miles ahead of both us and Cardiff by then

For automatic we need to win the next 6, and then hope. For play-offs, we possibly need to win only 2 of the last 3 games we will play this season. Play-offs is going to be an easier route at this stage. 

For me it depends on what stage we are at, if its impossible for us to get 2nd with two games to go, i would rest our players for those games for the play offs as its vital they are at their best and fresh. i believe a fresh villa side. anyone know when play off dates would be? i am going to have to start looking at brum hotels  

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me it depends on what stage we are at, if its impossible for us to get 2nd with two games to go, i would rest our players for those games for the play offs as its vital they are at their best and fresh. i believe a fresh villa side. anyone know when play off dates would be? i am going to have to start looking at brum hotels  

You need momentum and form going into the play offs. I know Huddersfield rested players last year but looking at how we have played lately, I really think we need to get the team playing better again and the way to do that is through consistency. 

You can't get that by resting players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

You need momentum and form going into the play offs. I know Huddersfield rested players last year but looking at how we have played lately, I really think we need to get the team playing better again and the way to do that is through consistency. 

You can't get that by resting players.

I am not saying play a complete reserve side but resting the likes of terry, grealish and snodgrass and you players like tuanzebe green etc 

it makes no sense playing them and risking burnout or injury if we are guranteed to finish 4th for example. 

Whatever happens we need to maintain good form going in to the play-offs, A to get play-offs, B to chance our arm at automatic. I'd say the pressure is off them a bit now so we could see some good performances again. 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am not saying play a complete reserve side but resting the likes of terry, grealish and snodgrass and you players like tuanzebe green etc 

it makes no sense playing them and risking burnout or injury if we are guranteed to finish 4th for example. 

I have to disagree. We need to play as a unit. Our strikers need to get that synergy with the midfield going into the play offs and leaving Jack out would kill any momentum. Familiarity is key when it comes to winning games and breaking the team up could be catastrophic. 

This team needs a good run of games with an almost unchanged 11, with Kodjia back amongst the goals and Jack, Snoddy and Albert providing the assists. That's how we will go up. Not by resting our key players.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I have to disagree. We need to play as a unit. Our strikers need to get that synergy with the midfield going into the play offs and leaving Jack out would kill any momentum. Familiarity is key when it comes to winning games and breaking the team up could be catastrophic. 

This team needs a good run of games with an almost unchanged 11, with Kodjia back amongst the goals and Jack, Snoddy and Albert providing the assists. That's how we will go up. Not by resting our key players.

Lets say grealish picks up a injury or gets sent off then our play off plans would be in tatters. its important to get the correct balance of not disrupting a team but having a team capable of winning. w ehave the squad for it  

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lets say grealish picks up a injury or gets sent off then our play off plans would be in tatters. its important to get the correct balance of not disrupting a team but having a team capable of winning. w ehave the squad for it  

We can't worry about players getting injured. It's part of football and it happens. I'd rather we played into some good form than just wrap everyone up in cotton wool and hope they don't get injured in training.

If we are to play into in form then we need our best players on the pitch. It's that simple for me. We need to go into the play offs as the form team in the division and resting key players won't help us achieve that.

• Like 2

We won't get second.

That hope ended on the night of the QPR game.

I don't think it's beyond the realms though that Fulham could yet get second though as can see Cardiff dropping more points.

I agree this time with OFTR analysis.

I don't want to play Fulham at any stage in the play offs as I fear they'll beat us as they're a blooming good team.

If Cardiff miss out now though even Warnock would struggle to get them up for the play offs.

So if we can get through the semi final I reckon we'd be playing the sixth place team at Wembley. Still not easy but I'd take that right now.