17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I can see wolves and villa beating Cardiff - maybe derby too - let’s see if they hold their nerve when the pressure builds .

id far rather play Cardiff than play fulham .

I’d feel better placed to judge who I would prefer to face in the play offs this time next week. Fulham are the more talented side, but I worry about Cardiff’s physicality. I feel like we can take on Fulham on our terms. We know we can beat them.

On a personal note, I’d much prefer Fulham to be promoted out of the two.

It's possible for us to be 4 points behind Cardiff by Saturday evening, with them to come to VP the following week. Could have been so much different had we not bottled it these last 3 games. Still not completely over.

What might have been tonight. Had we not dropped 8 points in our last three games we would have been 2 rather than 10 points behind Cardiff and 6 points in front of Fulham.:(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's possible for us to be 4 points behind Cardiff by Saturday evening, with them to come to VP the following week. Could have been so much different had we not bottled it these last 3 games. Still not completely over.

Yep. With the run of games Cardiff now have they were always going to drop points so not being say 5 points off them is criminal from us e.g. beating QPR and Hull (Bolton was a pass due to the conditions).

My main hope now is Fulham overhaul Cardiff and get second. Even Warnock would struggle to gee Cardiff up for play offs if they bottle second with the lead they had. Would much rather face them than Fulham.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What a route 1 pile of shit goal. But I suppose that's what Warnock's teams do. Fight for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ball.

Yep, the exact opposite of what a Steve Bruce Villa side does with us consistently coming 2nd, 3rd, 4th to the ball. A simple difference in culture and mentality which is one of the many reasons why they are 2nd and we are not. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep. With the run of games Cardiff now have they were always going to drop points so not being say 5 points off them is criminal from us e.g. beating QPR and Hull (Bolton was a pass due to the conditions).

My main hope now is Fulham overhaul Cardiff and get second. Even Warnock would struggle to gee Cardiff up for play offs if they bottle second with the lead they had. Would much rather face them than Fulham.

This.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’d feel better placed to judge who I would prefer to face in the play offs this time next week. Fulham are the more talented side, but I worry about Cardiff’s physicality. I feel like we can take on Fulham on our terms. We know we can beat them.

On a personal note, I’d much prefer Fulham to be promoted out of the two.

Like you, i would much prefer us to play footballing teams.

The physical ones throw a spanner in our works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewie said:

Yep, the exact opposite of what a Steve Bruce Villa side does with us consistently coming 2nd, 3rd, 4th to the ball. A simple difference in culture and mentality which is one of the many reasons why they are 2nd and we are not. 

Spot on.imo.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Nothing would make me happier than seeing cardiff missing out to top two to fulham if it isnt us. warnock always talking about their rivals as and how we are gutted they got a last minute point. the guy irritates the hell out of me.  

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Like you, i would much prefer us to play footballing teams.

The physical ones throw a spanner in our works.

Fulham are a much better footballing team than we are - for that reason I’d prefer Cardiff as I think we would be likely to beat them in a off game .

I wouldn’t fancy a trip to Cardiff  over 2 legs but in a final I think we’d do them .

i don’t think we would beat Fulham over 2legs  or in a one off final .

Edited by Eastie

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Fulham are a much better footballing team than we are - for that reason I’d prefer Cardiff as I think we would be likely to beat them in a off game .

I wouldn’t fancy a trip to Cardiff  over 2 legs but in a final I think we’d do them .

i don’t think we would beat Fulham over 2legs  or in a one off final .

I would rather Cardiff than Fulham thats for sure, we have (although not shown it recently) more experienced players that can handle that pressure. i think we can beat any side in play offs if we play to our best which doesnt happen often. if we play like we have in the last three any three of boro derby fulham can beta us. 

its vital we finish 3rd or 4th to avoid fulham or cardiff 

i think if we finish 5th or 6th we wont go up as i can see us crumbling second leg away from home 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I would rather Cardiff than Fulham thats for sure, we have (although not shown it recently) more experienced players that can handle that pressure. i think we can beat any side in play offs if we play to our best which doesnt happen often. if we play like we have in the last three any three of boro derby fulham can beta us. 

its vital we finish 3rd or 4th to avoid fulham or cardiff 

i think if we finish 5th or 6th we wont go up as i can see us crumbling second leg away from home 

Agree we need a top 4 finish and 3 huge games in the next week . 

I think Warnock has instilled an “us vs the world” mentality at Cardiff, which I think we may struggle with. And I know Fulham were the better team when we last played them and they’re playing very well. But we were missing two of our better players and we gifted them a goal. And again, we have beaten them once already this season.

It’s all guesswork. We’ll know more about who would be preferable out of Cardiff or Fulham next week (if it even comes to that).

Edited by Shropshire Lad

51 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agree we need a top 4 finish and 3 huge games in the next week . 

top two is gone for me its too much to ask, we have much tougher games coming up  we needed at least 7 from the last 3 and got a pathetic one. so the aim has to be top 4, ideally it would be derby two legs and a one off game against boro/fulham/cardiff 

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just seen Brentford aren't that far off sixth now, think I'd rather play Millwall given how much trouble they've caused us since relegation.

Funny as it sound is think we would beat them over two legs, we will want to set the record straight against them. i cant see anyone but boro finishing 6th though. personally i would prefer brentford or millwall 6th as opposed to boro as they have a very good side 

Edited by Demitri_C

Boro aren't that good although of course play offs are different to regular league.

We really struggle against Brentford's style, think it would be a struggle over two legs.

TBH we're probably going to finish 4th now. That would mean a two leg game v Derby, would sign up for that right now but don't think Derby will even finish top 6 if you look at their run in and the form they're generally in.

I think Boro will be one of the two below us probably in fifth. No idea who the sixth place team will be.