17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Couldn't make it up if you tried, VINTAGE Villa.

2 of the teams we have been chasing aggressively with little to no ground made up finally drop points (wolves/Cardiff) and we bottle it.

They will slip up many more times. We just need to be taking our chances. Its not unlikely but it doesnt help that we arent winning our games often enough

4 minutes ago, KSV said:

They will slip up many more times. We just need to be taking our chances. Its not unlikely but it doesnt help that we arent winning our games often enough

I think we will limp in to Jan just like last season.

you can't expect to keep winning without a forward line.

Even Bruce himself has said the strength of your team is mirrored by your strikers.

We are bankrupt.

26 minutes ago, KSV said:

Hogan is back. Use him. Put Grealish Adomah and Snoddy around him. Players who can understand and spot his runs. Even O'hare. We need to be braver with team selections. 

I understand your point.....but those players have to do it, otherwise you lose your doggedness.

I think thats his dilemma.....whether we agree or not......i think he thinks the forwards, what bit we have , have not got enough to carry the fight to the opposition.

it then creates a mental block in his head.

there must be a line or to there for a gag.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Haha i bet a lot of managers would love to have a £14 million striker out on loan and get nothing from another £14 million striker and have people defend them with claims like the above. 

McCormack has no one but himself to blame for that. Hogan has been injured recently as we know so it isnt the fact bruce isnt using him. he isnt using him effectively. i actually think if bruce were to leave (which i dont believe he will until at least end of season if we dont go up) they will go for smith for the hogan factor 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Even Bruce himself has said the strength of your team is mirrored by your strikers.

We are bankrupt.

I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous statement to make. We have purchased three £12m to £15m strikers over the last year and a half.  One of them saved Bruce's job and the other Bruce can't get a tune out of. We have one of the brightest talents as our starting striker and players all around him who are creative and can score goals. We have a forward line. Yes we have had Kodjia injured but he has hardly figured this season anyways. You can't excuse that performance against Millwall because of a lack of a forward line. We just didn't create any chances.

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous statement to make. We have purchased three £12m to £15m strikers over the last year and a half.  One of them saved Bruce's job and the other Bruce can't get a tune out of. We have one of the brightest talents as our starting striker and players all around him who are creative and can score goals. We have a forward line. Yes we have had Kodjia injured but he has hardly figured this season anyways. You can't excuse that performance against Millwall because of a lack of a forward line. We just didn't create any chances.

But Bruce has the best all time win Ratios of any Villa manager and on that note I say we are already promoted, thread closed. :D

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It seems unlikely on face value but if you break that 20 points down:

5 defeats

5 draws

It actually wouldn't be too dissimilar to our form over the past few months......I think.....

edit - not saying that I think we'll manage this by the way

We certainly need to remain resilient. Ultimately it could be too many draws rather than loses that’s scuppers us.

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Difference is I only started quoted you as you were saying this about falling out of the top 6 once Terry got injured. I'm on about finishing top 2 so there's obviously a difference. I still think we'll finish comfortably in the play offs but we ballsed up a very winnable home game and we can't have many more of those to make second.

I still see us picking up 30 + points from January but going to be a big problem if we don't win much in next 5 games and Cardiff do.

Yes and I understand all that but do you at least recognise that calling someone a doom monger isn't very well though out? 

Someone may well call YOU a doom monger no because you aren't sure of finishing in the top 2. See my point? 

Anyway, we are in a tough league and we need to perform better than we have been to even get close to being certain of a play off place. Let's just hope we can do it. UTV

11 hours ago, TRO said:

We are bankrupt.

Am I missing something or do we have someone else missing besides Kodjia? I'm not saying it's not a loss, because it is, even though I like to imagine us playing better football without him.

If this entails we have no forward line, I'd again point the finger at Bruce, because no team chasing promotion should be that reliant on any one player. 

Edited by vreitti

19 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Am I missing something or do we have someone else missing besides Kodjia? I'm not saying it's not a loss, because it is, even though I like to imagine us playing better football without him.

If this entails we have no forward line, I'd again point the finger at Bruce, because no team chasing promotion should be that reliant on any one player. 

you might not agree but HOgan, Gabby, RHM and Kodjia that is FOUR strikers. Any club will suffer if they had four strikers and only a rookie striker in the team playing week in and week out. 

47 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'd recommend continuing to imagine it, because I don't think you'll see better football without him on the pitch. 

This idea that 'we're better without Kodjia' or at least 'we might potentially be better without Kodjia' has been stress-tested several times, and now lies in thousands of shattered pieces on the floor (IMO). 

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

you might not agree but HOgan, Gabby, RHM and Kodjia that is FOUR strikers. Any club will suffer if they had four strikers and only a rookie striker in the team playing week in and week out. 

Then Bruce should have addressed this in the summer. If Hogan isn't in his plans, he should've replaced him. The same goes for RMC. Surely not even Bruce is daft enough to think that the contribution of Gabby would at any point be significant? Seeing as both Davis and RHM are youths, I don't think he was ever going to rely much on them either. 

Once again, it's quite clear Bruce doesn't really operate with any sort of plan. He sometimes manages to stumble upon a formula, that works for a while, e.g. Davis. But they're almost always forced on him, due to injuries and what not. There is no way these sort of 'chance solutions' will be enough to see us promoted.

Edited by vreitti

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd recommend continuing to imagine it, because I don't think you'll see better football without him on the pitch. 

This idea that 'we're better without Kodjia' or at least 'we might potentially be better without Kodjia' has been stress-tested several times, and now lies in thousands of shattered pieces on the floor (IMO). 

I am aware of this fact, hence the choice of words.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Haha i bet a lot of managers would love to have a £14 million striker out on loan and get nothing from another £14 million striker and have people defend them with claims like the above. 

Well thats where the fundaments of our thoughts divert.

If you think managers can soley be responsible for strikers not scoring......go and tell Klopp and Hodgson.....and see what they say.

According to your view every striker that dries up or fails to score is the managers direct fault.

no player would ever get transferred.....they would just sack managers more than they do.

as an example......why did man city get rid of Hart and Richards.....why did their top class coaches fail to get what they were looking for.

absolute rubbish.

ps we just bought bad in the first place.....now that is a manager responsibility.

24 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Then Bruce should have addressed this in the summer. If Hogan isn't in his plans, he should've replaced him. The same goes for RMC. Surely not even Bruce is daft enough to think that the contribution of Gabby would at any point be significant? Seeing as both Davis and RHM are youths, I don't think he was ever going to rely much on them either. 

Once again, it's quite clear Bruce doesn't really operate with any sort of plan. He sometimes manages to stumble upon a formula, that works for a while, e.g. Davis. But they're almost always forced on him, due to injuries and what not. There is no way these sort of 'chance solutions' will be enough to see us promoted.

Well obviously both were part of his plans. Gabby started and scored in first game vs hull then got injured not long after. RDM has been injured most of the season. Hogan was being used but was not very effective.  

How can bruce address this? Did he know kodjia would pick up a major injury? Same with RDM and gabby? Or hogan? Even if he knew where is the money gping to come from to get another striker? 

I think you are being unrealistic and awfully harsh. Complain about him not being good enough or his style of football thats fine. But complaining about things like this makes little sense. No one could predict all our strikers would get injured.

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

We started the season with:

• Hogan
  • Kodjia
  • RHM
  • Davis 
  • Gabby

In the squad..

....In terms of long term injuries, they have been decimated.

now most teams have 6 or 7 ...Derby have 8......yes the club are at fault here, for having too few in the squad to start with.

so maybe you are missing something.;)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well thats where the fundaments of our thoughts divert.

If you think managers can soley be responsible for strikers not scoring......go and tell Klopp and Hodgson.....and see what they say.

According to your view every striker that dries up or fails to score is the managers direct fault.

no player would ever get transferred.....they would just sack managers more than they do.

as an example......why did man city get rid of Hart and Richards.....why did their top class coaches fail to get what they were looking for.

absolute rubbish.

ps we just bought bad in the first place.....now that is a manager responsibility.

That's not what i'm saying at all. Not for the first time you're arguing over a point not being made.

Just pointing out you can't use a phrase like we are bankrupt upfront as yet another way to defend the manager. 

Edited by DCJonah