17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Losing to Bolton and QPR and then drawing with Hull. We should be on 84pts now. Gutted. More if you factor in the fact we lost at Reading at the start of the season, who really are not very good....

But, still, I’m delighted with the season so far. Yes people will say we are Aston Villa and we should be winning every single game we play, but the reality of it is, we are a championship side and in some ways we are still adjusting to that. We’ve played 42 games and we have picked up points in 32 of those, that’s pretty good going. 

Fingers crossed for the play offs - it’s going to be rediculously nervy, especially if we make the final. 

• Like 1

Such a missed opportunity. As others have said, Who would have thought a month ago that we'd beat Wolves and Cardiff and that it would end up being pretty irrelevant?

We've never been in the play offs, So win lose or draw it will be a new experience at least and I hope we can get 3 points from the next 4 games to buy a ticket.

I'm not that fussed who we face either. We will be the team to avoid. Just hoping now that the key men can stay or get fit.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Such a missed opportunity. As others have said, Who would have thought a month ago that we'd beat Wolves and Cardiff and that it would end up being pretty irrelevant?

We've never been in the play offs, So win lose or draw it will be a new experience at least and I hope we can get 3 points from the next 4 games to buy a ticket.

I'm not that fussed who we face either. We will be the team to avoid. Just hoping now that the key men can stay or get fit.

Its interesting for me, how the predicted results have been so misread.

How could anyone realistically have predicted our results.

it really is a funny old game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

whilst that is true, there is undoubtedly a valid point about context - i.e. the business end of the season. Twice now we have had clear opportunities to capitalise,  on a fight for the automatic spots, and followed up with limp awful efforts - it wasn't as if we were just unlucky against QPR or Norwich, we were just plain crap. We did not perform when we needed to, with the pressure on, the door opening, and our players gave a collective shrug. The context of those missed opportunities forms a valid criticism of players and manager,

Yes, it’s valid, as is my point.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We showed up last night......We mixed the muscle with them and resisted it.

Had we approached the last few games in the same mind set, we would be still in the chase for Auto.

I agree, however we still made bad mistakes and could have lost the game. first half we were dreadful, really bad. second was much better when grabban had some help with big kodj 

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

At what point do we concede the race is over and start resting players for the play offs?

We have an advantage over Cardiff in that we can afford to do that.

very good point. i think lets concentrate on finishing 4th once thats confirmed which i think will be this weekend, we can rotate the squad to keep players fresh for play offs 

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

At what point do we concede the race is over and start resting players for the play offs?

Possibly as early as next Saturday for the Ipswich game. 

Milwall play Fulham the night before our match against Ipswich. It might prove to be the case that they’ll be on 87 points and we could be on 79 points with three remaining.

I’m fairly confident we’ll finish fourth. I’d prefer the second leg to be at Villa Park obviously, but I’m not sure it will prove to be the deciding factor. So if we finished fifth I wouldn’t be too downbeat.

Definetly rotate the players for the Milwall game at the very least.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

very good point. i think lets concentrate on finishing 4th once thats confirmed which i think will be this weekend, we can rotate the squad to keep players fresh for play offs 

Suppose thats a good shout.  3 games to give Snodgrass a break especially. 

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m fairly confident we’ll finish fourth. I’d prefer the second leg to be at Villa Park obviously, but I’m not sure it will prove to be the deciding factor. So if we finished fifth I wouldn’t be too downbeat.

Thats a good point in itself. 

Im not actually sure that would be a good thing for this side.  Playing away second leg may reduce any negativity from our crowd if things are not going well.

• Like 1

Just now, Nigel said:

Suppose thats a good shout.  3 games to give Snodgrass a break especially. 

To be honest I would play a strong team for the next two with maybe resting adomah by having him on the bench friday night, then vice versa with snodders against ipswich.

Then I would have Terry play CB in the last game vs Derby and rest him for Millwall and vice versa with Chester 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We showed up last night......We mixed the muscle with them and resisted it.

Had we approached the last few games in the same mind set, we would be still in the chase for Auto.

I agree.

Why the difference ?

One of the mysteries that makes football what it is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree.

Why the difference ?

One of the mysteries that makes football what it is.

I'd say it could be put down to preparation for the most part.

Every team is unique whether they employ similar formations and tactics or not.

Results are often determined by the application of a given approach to a match, or a lack of.

Hence the criticism of us being inflexible in making changes where and when needed.

49 minutes ago, Nigel said:

When we are sure of top 4 finish 

As much as this has already been stated, it will be another huge re-building job if we don't go up. Presumably Bruce would leave, and without a shadow of a doubt Johnstone, Snodgrass, Terry and possibly Grabban would all go. Being near his peak, I imagine we'd also lose Chester to a Premier League team, and maybe Adomah and Kodjia too. Grealish would probably consider moving on. That would leave us manager-less, no parachute payments, a threadbare squad devoid of quality, and have too many players in their mid-30s like Jedinak, Whelan and Hutton. 

We've botched our chance to go up automatically and we have to win in the play-offs. Once we claim 3 more points and are assured of getting into the play-offs, rest all the key men. I think we'd all much rather Fulham go up and we might get Cardiff. Millwall or Derby will be extremely tough games too. I'm not confident but then I'm a natural pessimist. We shall see. 

• Sad 1