Midweek Football 6 /9 March

andykeenan

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Of course all players try to bend the rules at times but look at the way Gerrard dived to how a South American dives.

British players to me always seem to go down in instalments when trying to get a penalty while the SA players make it look like they've just been wiped out when there's little contact.

I'm honestly baffled by this post. Our brave British lads cheat in a more honest, noble way or something?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I really don't think so

https://streamable.com/0mmtq

Here is the replay of goal and foul. Watch Neymar's legs. When Neymar plants his right foot, he clearly jumps. Muneir doesn't touch neymar. Instead Neymar jumps and lands so it looks like a foul.

a27ed82effb3722c43a7fa410183f7a8.png

You can see here that Neymar hasn't been touched and yet is already going down. It's a dive. 

I don't see what I'm missing. The guy headbutts Neymar's knee as he goes down.

it's as blatant a penalty as you're going to see.

if that was Villa on the attack and that wasn't given we'd be talking about it for years.

From the reverse angle it looks like the guy fell over and Neymar ran into him. Soft pen, hardly a stone waller IMO. I can understand it being awarded but wouldn't be travesty if it hadn't been. The second pen was just absolutely disgraceful from the ref.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

:crylaugh: some people's bias against Barcelona is really talking here.

I wonder how they'd feel if that was a Villa player and it wasn't given.
Like I said, we'd be talking about it for years.

If that's not a penalty then I don't know what is.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Emery. Anybody can say he shouldn't have tried to defend a 4 goal lead. if he had gone there and attacked and lost 7-1 or something he would still be blamed. sometimes you have to hold your hands and say one team were brilliant on the night and the other team choked. Manager cant be blamed for players choking.

Football isn't all down to the manager. Leicester winning the league wasn't all down to Ranieri. Its 90% the players.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm honestly baffled by this post. Our brave British lads cheat in a more honest, noble way or something?

No British players can't dive properly imo so when they attempt to cheat it looks ridiculous. Owen gave it a good go at the world cups though and looked convincing.

I read years ago Spanish teams actually introuduced going down under minimal contact in their training session so they can perfect it.

One of the things I HATE, HATE, HATE when watching football and the pundits are debating a penalty decision  and one of them says "look, you can see there is contact" as a justification for it.

Contact is allowed, its a contact sport!!!!1!!!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Neymar definitely moves in to him, but I can see why it was given. The Suarez one though, you'll not see a worse one. 

• Like 3

I hate the diving myself but then we have had cases recently where players have tried to stay on their feet and nothing was given, so we just have to except its part of modern football and sometimes the refs fall for sometimes they don't. La Liga is certainly the worst league in Europe for it. There's so much cheating going on. Players rolling on the floor in agony when they have not been touched. I know many on here hate Suarez but he's not alone in trying to con refs. Maybe the only answer is to do what they do in the mls and use video technology to decide one way or the other but that can really spoil the flow of the game. I saw a match where play was right up the other end of the pitch and play was called back for a pen,. No easy answers to cut it out. Refs aren't the best people to decide as most have never played at any level and don't know the cons. Best people would be ex forwards who know the cons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I hate the diving myself but then we have had cases recently where players have tried to stay on their feet and nothing was given, so we just have to except its part of modern football and sometimes the refs fall for sometimes they don't.

I think that's the difference between "going down easy" and "diving", for me. Going down easy isn't cheating. You're fouled, but could probably stay up, but decide not to because you'll be **** over otherwise. For example, Kodjia went down easy against QPR, there's no way that shirt pull caused him to go down, but it was absolutely a penalty and despite the shirt pulling going on for a while, the ref didn't give it until he went down.

However, incidents like the 2nd penalty are clearly dives and there should be big punishments for it. If you started throwing around 3 game bans for players who go down without any contact and then turn around and claim for a penalty, they have no defence. I've seen some players try and skip a tackle and end up on the ground with no contact, but the telling point is they don't ask for a penalty, they aren't trying to cheat.

Enjoyable enough midweek, apart from our own **** result of course.  Arsenal from the "best league, fam, in the world bruh" shipping 10 goals, and a French team in white surrendering.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Neymar definitely moves in to him, but I can see why it was given. The Suarez one though, you'll not see a worse one. 

He moves into him because the ball was inside him, he was clearly running towards the ball. 

Put it this way, if that happened outside the box it would have been a foul every time even though it was accidental.

Neymar definitely "bought" the first penalty, but it was a penalty.  I don't think the Suarez one would have been given at the other end but when you are Barcelona and you've got 96000 people cheering you on then you tend to get those decisions.  They don't get to complain about refereeing for a while though. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure Grealish won a very similar penalty for us this season and I bet nobody complained about it.  I agree the bias is incredible, unless it's possible to get so butthurt you can go blind.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just the fact that Neymar moves into Meunier instead of Meunier actually hitting Neymar. From my screenshot, you can see Neymar already leaning to go down with his hands up like he is about to fall to the ground. It's a grey area for penalties imo. If a player slides, manages to miss the ball and player, but the attacker intentionally drags his foot to make sure he gets clipped, is it a foul? This is essentially what happened. Neymar knew he could run into Meunier and get the foul. 

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

The free kick goal looked funny to me, the keeper just watched it float in w/o even waving at it. It was a saveable shot, IMO.

Amazing come backs like these always do make me wonder if there is some shenanigans going on. I also think that PSG were just so deflated after a couple goals, so every step then feels like you had weights attached to you. 

12 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

It's just the fact that Neymar moves into Meunier instead of Meunier actually hitting Neymar. From my screenshot, you can see Neymar already leaning to go down with his hands up like he is about to fall to the ground. It's a grey area for penalties imo. If a player slides, manages to miss the ball and player, but the attacker intentionally drags his foot to make sure he gets clipped, is it a foul? This is essentially what happened. Neymar knew he could run into Meunier and get the foul. 

I didn't see it like that. He moved into Meunier because that's the direction the ball was in and that's where he was headed anyway. It's not like he changed his course at the last second once he saw Meunier go to ground.

Â