Midweek Football 6 /9 March

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

You have to ask why the defender is looking at Suarez rather than the ball and even contemplating putting an arm on him, knowing he's a cheat.  He's giving the ref a decision to make, which is always bad when you're away to the big teams.  So naive.  

Blaming the victim. That was all Suarez as usual.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its the problem with Barcelona after all these years that you cant watch a game and admire their brilliant players without having to watch the horrible cynical side of the game. I would love to applaud them for a brilliant 6-1 victory but you just cant after that

also as they never showed a replay I think Mascherano chopped Di Maria from behind when he was one on one with the keeper near the end

Don't think so...Di Maria completely messed that up.

I completely forgot about that...think the game was only 3-1 at that stage so there's the tie right there.

Really want to see a Dortmund-Barca match up next.

The 33/1 that I took on them winning the cup after the first leg looks a less silly bet now than it did back then. :D I cannot think of another team that could come back in quite the same way against opposition of that calibre and their boss said they would score 6 earlier today. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Neymar's was 100% a penalty

I really don't think so

https://streamable.com/0mmtq

Here is the replay of goal and foul. Watch Neymar's legs. When Neymar plants his right foot, he clearly jumps. Muneir doesn't touch neymar. Instead Neymar jumps and lands so it looks like a foul.

a27ed82effb3722c43a7fa410183f7a8.png

You can see here that Neymar hasn't been touched and yet is already going down. It's a dive. 

• Like 1

Great comeback.

However I've mentioned it in the La Liga thread (I know this is CL) but again referees getting it all wrong.

Suarez is probably one of the worst for it, it's pretty shameful. There should be retrospective punishment involved for situations like this.

Suarez will never change.

Let's remember he's been banned for over a year from international football and he also had the long ban in England for racial abuse.

It's just in latin players blood to always seek weakness from refs and prey on their mistakes particularly at crucial moments in games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I really don't think so

https://streamable.com/0mmtq

Here is the replay of goal and foul. Watch Neymar's legs. When Neymar plants his right foot, he clearly jumps. Muneir doesn't touch neymar. Instead Neymar jumps and lands so it looks like a foul.

You can see here that Neymar hasn't been touched and yet is already going down. It's a dive. 

after watching it im close to agreeing, neymars bought the contact, can see exactly why its been given but i dont agree with it

another one for the argument that theres no right answer to that, video ref will get it wrong too

Football is about entertainment and that was tremendous. Can you imagine being a Barca fan in the stadium watching that! Gave me goosebumps, it reminded me of Dalian popping up against Tranmere with that header. Unbelievable Jeff!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It's just in latin players blood to always seek weakness from refs and prey on their mistakes particularly at crucial moments in games.

Steven Gerrard, Roy Keane and John Terry arent Latin. It happens in every country not just Latin America ;)

8 minutes ago, coda said:

Blaming the victim. That was all Suarez as usual.

I'm blaming both.  I've never understood why defenders don't watch the ball when a cross or long ball is coming in, it's one of the things refs look out for when it comes to making decisions.  

Of course all players try to bend the rules at times but look at the way Gerrard dived to how a South American dives.

British players to me always seem to go down in instalments when trying to get a penalty while the SA players make it look like they've just been wiped out when there's little contact.

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Defender slipped and Neymar couldn't believe his luck and ran into him. Wasn't this the one where the ref only changed his mind after being mobbed by 5 Barca players?

He changed his mind after consulting with the bloke behind the goal.  The right decision was reached in the end, so no problems.

4 minutes ago, penguin said:

Defender slipped and Neymar couldn't believe his luck and ran into him. Wasn't this the one where the ref only changed his mind after being mobbed by 5 Barca players?

the one where the ref had given a free-out for a dive until he was told by his ref behind the goal

His pass for the winner was brilliant too.

He could have crossed it, but to cut inside and deliver that pass with his "weaker" foot instead. Lovely stuff.

• Like 1

Â