The Manager thread

Xela

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You'd need to go for Klopp or Pep to find a better manager really. At least in this league. 

Here's a question: do we think Klopp or Pep would have done as well as Emery if they had replaced Gerrard given the same constraints?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You'd need to go for Klopp or Pep to find a better manager really. At least in this league. 

I seriously would not swap Unai for either of them. Yes, they are both at the top end of the game, but I don't think they'd be able to match what he does in the development of players. There's no one in our squad who hasn't vastly improved - we're not just buying someone better to replace players. I believe we are witnessing the start of something exceptional. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s horses for courses. If I was in charge of one of the massive clubs, like say Real, I’d probably be more interested in Klopp or Pep because they’ve got more experience at the absolute top end of the CL and are probably better placed to deal with big ego players.

I don’t think either could do for us what Emery has done though. It’s a different set of skills.

Exactly this. 

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Here's a question: do we think Klopp or Pep would have done as well as Emery if they had replaced Gerrard given the same constraints?

Klopp yes absolutely. What he did with Liverpool is quite similar, let alone Dortmund. Pep I'm not so sure, leaning towards no.

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s horses for courses. If I was in charge of one of the massive clubs, like say Real, I’d probably be more interested in Klopp or Pep because they’ve got more experience at the absolute top end of the CL and are probably better placed to deal with big ego players.

I don’t think either could do for us what Emery has done though. It’s a different set of skills.

Very astute post. Thank you

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Yeah I do.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes without question 

No chance would klopp or Guardiola have delivered as well as Emery in the same set of circumstances. They would have needed another 300m to have get the players they would have wanted etc and no way would they have developed the squad the way Emery did with what he had. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Klopps only has success at liverpool and dortmund. If you look at emery he has had success at more clubs than klopp.

Peps a check book manager

Klopp did well at Mainz too.

Pep might be at clubs with infinite wealth and can sign anyone he fancies but it's his system and way of playing that has made him successful any team can spend millions see Utd and Chelsea.

Pep is a Cruyff disciple and has perfected that system wherever he has been.

It's upto other coaches to tinker these systems to beat them and that is what we are seeing with Unai and Postecoglou.

Football evolves let's hope our messiah is ushering in a new era and we become the team to knock Pep and Klopp off their perch.

38 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Klopp did well at Mainz too.

Pep might be at clubs with infinite wealth and can sign anyone he fancies but it's his system and way of playing that has made him successful any team can spend millions see Utd and Chelsea.

Pep is a Cruyff disciple and has perfected that system wherever he has been.

It's upto other coaches to tinker these systems to beat them and that is what we are seeing with Unai and Postecoglou.

Football evolves let's hope our messiah is ushering in a new era and we become the team to knock Pep and Klopp off their perch.

Could pep do it at a villa or west ham though? He only takes jobs that are already at the top

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Could pep do it at a villa or west ham though? He only takes jobs that are already at the top

He is offered those jobs because he is good at what he does though.  That Barca team was successful under Rijkaard but Pep took it to the next level.  What happened to Rijkaard

If he took over Villa or West Ham I am sure both would have relative success.  It takes players to buy into the managers ideas.

Any club where everyone is as one will do well that is from top to bottom.

A bit of silliness

Obviously the discussion is stupid but I kinda think they approach it sensibly in the main, for a ridiculous navel gazing exercise. It does go a bit dumb at the end - titles meaning more at some clubs etc, which is absurd.

Edited by Chindie

Â